Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X September Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone with a VIN above 16xxx...

I am 18XX and am already "locked in" No changes possible (Even with fee). Ordered 8/17 confirmed 8/24. production start date 9/12. Delivery estimate 10/15

Also if i push back order this car will still be built, and I lose my deposit and have to order a new car/vin

So if i am understanding correctly.. I lose my deposit either way, and no changes can be made. So I might as well wait till its built and make the decision the week before? I am not trying to be childish but want to at least know all the information.

It literally affects me or Tesla in no different way if DS claims car will be built regardless and deposit is lost regardless.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I think it varies based on configuration and availability of parts. I've seen some in production for only 3 days and some for almost a month.

My X went into production on August 19th and its still there. My substitute DS said that it should be done by the end of the week. We shall see....
I see you are in Atlanta.. Buying or leasing? Trying to find someone in GA that made leasing make financial sense.

I am 18XX and am already "locked in" No changes possible (Even with fee). Ordered 8/17 confirmed 8/24. production start date 9/12. Delivery estimate 10/15

Also if i push back order this car will still be built, and I lose my deposit and have to order a new car/vin

So if i am understanding correctly.. I lose my deposit either way, and no changes can be made. So I might as well wait till its built and make the decision the week before? I am not trying to be childish but want to at least know all the information.

It literally affects me or Tesla in no different way if DS claims car will be built regardless and deposit is lost regardless.

I'm not clear on what you're asking

Tesla will build a customer car that they back out of even if you cancel before it is built? Seems odd and financially unsound for the company to do that. Just mark the data record as "cancelled" and build someone else's car in its place.

Tesla will build a customer car that they back out of even if you cancel before it is built? Seems odd and financially unsound for the company to do that. Just mark the data record as "cancelled" and build someone else's car in its place.
It's probably more to do with parts lining up in the factory. To cancel they'd need to physically grab multiple parts out of the supply line. They'll build the car anyway and sell as an inventory.

It's probably more to do with parts lining up in the factory. To cancel they'd need to physically grab multiple parts out of the supply line. They'll build the car anyway and sell as an inventory.

I can't see a company doing this. And what they could do is just replace one car that is in line with another X that is close-enough and build that instead for another customer. Of course, some inventory cars are lined up as different Vin #s so they may just cancel a pending inventory in favor of a cancelled customer order. But just to build a car (almost in spite) of a cancelled customer order is poor logistics. If I were taking a tour of the factory, I would want to ask the production manager why they would do this. Lot cars at sales sites around the country are being discounted $5k even with 50 miles. So, the loss of customer deposit of $2500 is half of the discount once it hits a lot. The creation of a customer car "just because it is in line" is costing the company $2500 extra, minimum.

I can't see a company doing this. And what they could do is just replace one car that is in line with another X that is close-enough and build that instead for another customer. Of course, some inventory cars are lined up as different Vin #s so they may just cancel a pending inventory in favor of a cancelled customer order. But just to build a car (almost in spite) of a cancelled customer order is poor logistics. If I were taking a tour of the factory, I would want to ask the production manager why they would do this. Lot cars at sales sites around the country are being discounted $5k even with 50 miles. So, the loss of customer deposit of $2500 is half of the discount once it hits a lot. The creation of a customer car "just because it is in line" is costing the company $2500 extra, minimum.
I agree... why they would tell me that is what I do not understand it. Originally I took it as a take this car or we will be pissed statement.

Now I just am not sure

• Informative
Reactions: bonaire
It all depends on where the car is in the build process. It may be more costly to stop the line and remove the vehicle from the line, than letting it run to completion. Also, that "loss of $2500" is not really a loss, it's a reduction of their profit margin, which can easily be replaced once a customer buys this vehicle and starts buying accessories like more wheels, wall charger, service plans, etc.

Reactions: TMSE