Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X shaking with hard acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our MX was in the service center a week ago as I had noticed since taking delivery a shaking feeling between 30-36mph when accelerating. More dramatic shaking with hard acceleration. I first noticed it when we took the car home, but didn't think anything of it, but it had progressively gotten worse over the past 2 months. My wife didn't notice it until she drove the MX for a week while I was on a trip for work.

Took the car into the Eden Prairie service center and those guys are pros. The technician came out for a test drive with me so he could feel the shaking for himself. Said he was confident he knew what the issue was. Shaking occurred and it confirmed to him his suspicions. He said when he initially read our service memo that he ordered the parts right then so they were prepared and ready for the appointment. The tech said this is a known issue with the Model X and currently Tesla doesn't have a true fix for the issue, but the SC is told they are working on it. For now the resolve is to replace the parts. Below is the notes/parts

Gave us a MX loaner which we took to the MN State Fair for the day. Got phone calls throughout the day on the progress of the car. When we were just leaving the fair got the call our X was ready for pickup. Those guys and gals did an awesome job!

Concern:
Customer: Vibration from seat between 30-36mph on harder acceleration.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis
Verified owners concern, reference service bulletin to replace front half shafts and jack shaft to eliminate vibration under acceleration.
Corrections: Jackshaft Assembly - Front As per service bulletin replaced front jack shaft to eliminate vibration under acceleration. Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - LH
As per service bulletin replaced front left half shaft to eliminate vibration under acceleration.
Part Quantity
HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT (1027115-00- B) 1
HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT (1027111-00-B) 1
JACKSHAFT ASSY, FR (1030632-00-A) 1
WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 2
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00- A) 2
Oil Seal (1007382-00-A) 1
Parts Replaced or Added Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - RH
As per service bulletin replaced front right half shaft to eliminate vibration under acceleration. Performed post installation test drive and verified vibration has been eliminated.

This, unfortunately, is a common problem with the MX. Mine started doing it and it was noticeable only when I set the suspension to high. I don't really notice it in standard position (just barely), and it is completely gone with low suspension. When at the SC, I discussed it with service tech and decided it was not enough at that point to replace the half-shafts, but if it gets worse I will.... my understanding and what he told me is that it is a design flaw and that it will come back if they change out the half shafts, I then asked if there were any plans to issue a design fix -- he said that the engineering muscle has been all poured into Model 3 and they may or may not come back to address it.

Mine was really bad and they replaced both front axle shafts for me like a month or 2 ago. and i only had like 7000 miles on the car.

that being said i have an earlier VIN 2016 MX. the tech told me that they are trying to find a better supplier for them so they quit rattling and aren't a problem.

the only time i feel it now is under super hard acceleration.

This, unfortunately, is a common problem with the MX. Mine started doing it and it was noticeable only when I set the suspension to high. I don't really notice it in standard position (just barely), and it is completely gone with low suspension. When at the SC, I discussed it with service tech and decided it was not enough at that point to replace the half-shafts, but if it gets worse I will.... my understanding and what he told me is that it is a design flaw and that it will come back if they change out the half shafts, I then asked if there were any plans to issue a design fix -- he said that the engineering muscle has been all poured into Model 3 and they may or may not come back to address it.
I would be extremely surprised if Tesla doesn't provide a permanent fix for this issue within the next 12 months. I can't imagine them addressing this flaw by simply replacing everyone's half-shafts every 7000 miles or so.

Side note, I'm eagerly awaiting the day where my driver profile can be put into any car so when I take a loaner I don't spend forever moving my seat/mirrors/steering wheel around.

I'm really sorry that this is off topic for this thread, but had to ask a question based on your comment about the mirrors. When switching profiles between my wife and I, I still need to adjust the mirror. Did something change recently and do the mirrors actually adjust automatically now based on saved settings? Or has it always adjusted automatically and my car is just broken? The fact that the mirrors don't self adjust is ironically one of wife's biggest pet peeves about the MX.

I'd like to think you're correct, but note that I started the Acceleration Shudder thread more than a year ago...
Point well taken. It's just that the Acceleration Shudder issue seems a lot like the Ghosting Issue, which has been ongoing since the very beginning. Both issues are challenging and has taken Tesla a long time to resolve. I would say that the Ghosting Issue is harder because it deals with a 3rd party supplier for the whole thing. But from owner experience, it sounds like it may have been finally resolved. Unfortunately, Tesla has been extremely quiet on the subject and at one point pulling out measuring equipment to indicate it's within legal specifications (this was disappointing to me).

From recent reports, it sounds like some SC technicians are indicating that Tesla is aware of the shudder issue and are working on a solution. For now, they are just replacing them with the identical part until a more permanent solution is provided. This sounds a lot more promising than how the whole Ghosting Issue developed.

I'm really sorry that this is off topic for this thread, but had to ask a question based on your comment about the mirrors. When switching profiles between my wife and I, I still need to adjust the mirror. Did something change recently and do the mirrors actually adjust automatically now based on saved settings? Or has it always adjusted automatically and my car is just broken? The fact that the mirrors don't self adjust is ironically one of wife's biggest pet peeves about the MX.

My mirrors adjust automatically based on profile. Mines been doing it for the 2ish months that I've owned the car. I'd check with your SC and see if they will take a look.