Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Should we take the plunge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello esteemed members,

My wife and I live minutes from the Tesla Factory and have always been facinated with Teslas - esp the Model X since it now fits our needs (we have a 1yr old, with plans for more ;) ). We would love to take advantage of the unlimited supercharging + $1000 referal discount before they run out in a few days. However, we have some questions before we make one of biggest purchases of our lives:-

• Exterior colors - what are the best looking colors on the Model X? What are the 'low maintenance' colors?
• Enhanced Autopilot - is it worth it to spend an additional $5K now?
• What are the restrictions of fitting a Model X in a garage with functioning FWDs? My Lexus GS 350 fits but I have a pillar right where my rear door ends
• Some Tesla owners have voiced concerns over some navigation system issues - are there still issues?
• Service Plans - what do you recommend?
• From a financing PoV, did anyone get a better deal than the 1.99% APR that Telsa is offering? Is it a better option to club financing with a HELOC instead?

We hope that you could help answer these questions and maybe guide us on the best ways to save, issues that we should be prepared for and other general tips. Thanks a bunch!

• Exterior colors - what are the best looking colors on the Model X? What are the 'low maintenance' colors?

Best looking is dependent on your eyes. You'll be the ones have to look at your car the most so you have to decide.

'low maintenance' colors might just be psychological: All colors need car washes.

It depends on you. It's a convenience feature. It's safe as long as you know which scenarios that needs your manual control.

• What are the restrictions of fitting a Model X in a garage with functioning FWDs? My Lexus GS 350 fits but I have a pillar right where my rear door ends

Since you live near, why don't you ask for a demo in your garage.

• Some Tesla owners have voiced concerns over some navigation system issues - are there still issues?

You mean mapping system?

It's not the best but it works for me most of the time.

My rule of thumb is: technology can help but you can't totally depend on it. It may want take you to a long detour instead of a short cut. I just have to look at it and approve or reject its routing.

• Service Plans - what do you recommend?

If you plan to stay with your car, then I would pre-pay the service plan and get the discount.

Otherwise, you can pay more as you go.

Good luck!

Hi, my wife and I are about in the same boat as you are! We have a 2 and a half year and we have own the x for about 4 month now!

The car is amazing! The color for us that we think looks amazing is the pearl white!

The FWD turns out to be very useful, getting my baby in and out has never been easier! I love the door and so does my wife, it will fit most place np.

For auto pilot, we have ap1 and I love it, we did a 1k road trip and AP drove 98%of the trip, it was very relaxing!

Free charging for life, you have to take advantage of that if you are going to buy anyway!!!!!

We went through Allaint credit union for 1.79, they get very low these day!

Please my refer code if possible?
khanh8645

Hello esteemed members,

My wife and I live minutes from the Tesla Factory and have always been facinated with Teslas - esp the Model X since it now fits our needs (we have a 1yr old, with plans for more ;) ). We would love to take advantage of the unlimited supercharging + $1000 referal discount before they run out in a few days. However, we have some questions before we make one of biggest purchases of our lives:-
• What are the restrictions of fitting a Model X in a garage with functioning FWDs?

We hope that you could help answer these questions and maybe guide us on the best ways to save, issues that we should be prepared for and other general tips. Thanks a bunch!

I find silver to be good at hiding dirt. I've got the pearl white, and enjoy it.

Definitely borrow a Model X for a garage test. It's bigger than your Lexus. The doors may not open fully in your garage. Tesla will bring one to your house or let you drive one overnight.

I enjoy Autopilot. Try it on your test drive. It depends on your driving style.

You're welcome to use my referral code, "Scott6610" for your order.

I this helps I had a loaner the other day to test the fit. I had a Lexus GS350 as well. I was able to fully open the FWD in a standard garage. However, there was less than an inch between the doors.

Attachments

• 20170109_180005.jpg
    20170109_180005.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20170109_180137.jpg
    20170109_180137.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20170109_175947.jpg
    20170109_175947.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 71
So at first I let it try on its own. It started and made it about 18" and stopped. I manually raised it up and click the "set automatically at this location" Now every time I park in there it goes all the way up. It's nowhere near as flexible as Elon demo'ed with those Minivans. As you can see in the pic it detected the Impala and the bike on the left. The front doors too. And that was with the suspension set to standard. My hope is that when I get mine with AP2 the summon feature will be working and I'll really not have to load up in the garage often.