Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Shudder - Shutter. Legal standing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does it take to file a class action lawsuit? We have a 2020 out of warranty and would be in. It was $1100 to fix
Following. 37K on my 2018 MX. Have already had half shafts replaced once. I never beat on the car - never floor it. I am starting to feel the shuddering again when I take off at a moderate speed from about 20MPH. I loathe to take it to the service center as the low-IQ mongoloids there will surely charge me as the car is out of warranty as of 3 months ago.

Won’t happen. Best to fix the high drive angle problem if you don’t want to keep replacing them. There are solutions. Cost 100$-3500$.
Yeah. Only the most die-hard Tesla fan boi is going to put more money into a low quality vehicle like a Tesla. The REAL auto manufacturers are catching up and soon there will be a glut of cheap, used Tesla's on the market with greatly reduced battery range. Test drove a BMW iX SUV a few weeks back and it was night and day. Got back into my Tesla and it was like driving a beater car. Tesla's cut way to many corners on these cars and their service centers employ some of the dumbest people I come across in my travels. The emps there make Jack In The Box employees look like geniuses. Yeah. Just a little bitter, I am.

• Funny
Reactions: NJturtlePower
You can't drive your BMW cross country...useless car
Meh, I haven't decided what my next EV will be. But it won't be a corner-cutting, low-quality, rattling and creaking Tesla for which I have to replace the half-shafts once a year. So much for the no maintenance thing, eh? It will also be nice to hear my companion and not be deafened by the excessive interior noise at speed.

I admit the Telsa's supercharger network is a formidable advantage. Fortunately, I really don't take road trips as I don't enjoy them. 4-5 hours in a car is my max. If I make any cross-country trips, I fly - and first class at that. Driving across country sounds like a miserable experience no matter what the vehicle (well, maybe in an enormous Winnebago with someone else driving).

Tesla fan bois are going to learning a hard lesson in a year or two when they won't even be able to give their cars away as real auto manufacturers that use sound dampening and don't slap their cars together with all sorts of defects take over the EV market.

I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to take a bath on my car when I sell it. Such is the case when buying an expensive car. All the youngsters and poors who have bought the M3s and MYs will be much harder hit as the depreciation (and high interest car loans) hurt them a lot more.

Reactions: goldenmastiff
Following. 37K on my 2018 MX. Have already had half shafts replaced once. I never beat on the car - never floor it. I am starting to feel the shuddering again when I take off at a moderate speed from about 20MPH. I loathe to take it to the service center as the low-IQ mongoloids there will surely charge me as the car is out of warranty as of 3 months ago.
You didn't mention if they also replaced the Clevis mounts as per the service bulletin more than 3 years ago. That has remedied most of the repetitive shutter problems on the older MXs.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
My advice.. When pulling out in traffic, do not give it alot of throttle with big steering wheel angles.
Pull out more gently, turn straighten the wheel and then punch it. The high torque at high steering angles does the most wear. When is the last time you heard of anyone replacing the rear half shafts. You don't. Why? Well they only go straight. Untill they develop a super heavy duty replacement you will continue to have issues.

I posted this in another forum but it also applies here and gives folks out of warranty another option to consider. The only modification that I have done to my car was during last July, I had the N2itive’s Alignment Kit 1 installed which got rid of the shudder, and also lowers the car about 1” in standard without wearing the inside of the tires. The shudder issue is caused by the drive shafts being at too large of an angle from the wheel to the gear box, which destroys the CV joints. No different than when as a kid I put a lift kit in my pickup, but ended up destroying the universal joints in a short time. So to avoid this happening, you can lower the car to reduce this angle, but then the car will wear out the inside of the tires very quickly but the outside tread looks like no wear. So this kit replaces the linkage in both rear wheels so the camber can be adjusted and the lowering links are installed at all 4 wheels. I had to drive 400 miles to the coast to a shop to do this install and align the car and the first thing I noticed after installing the kit and aligning the car is my WH-Mile improved quite a bit, any where from 280 - 325 WH-Mile . I attached the alignment sheet showing the alignment before the kit was installed and not able to adjust the camber. (A side note, I had the Tesla shop align the car right before I drove to the coast in the hopes this would reduce the wear on my tires) and the bottom of the page shows after the kit was installed and the final alignment. Hope the link works. Please let me know if it doesn't.
This is absolutely the best response to the shudder/tire-wear issue. The issue is real and it's outrageous that Tesla hasn't acknowledged it nor adopted the adjustable suspension components. Seems that would be less of an expense than replacing half shafts. Thanks for the info!

Is this still a problem with new “re-freshed” MX? I imagine they haven’t changed anything in regards to improving mechanical components. I really don’t want to deal with this nonsense on $100k+ EV. I noticed when I test drove the Max yesterday, it was very quiet and relatively smooth. No complaints and can certainly see this being a great road tripper as I wasn’t expecting it to be this nice from some of the comments in this community. I much prefer driving to flying these days. So, I want to make I have a reliable family hauler and my Land Cruiser is currently it but it not nearly as smooth and quiet as the MX I drove. Plus the stereo is better and the screen for the passenger is fun to play with. My wife and kids like the Karaoke which shows on both front and rear screen so they can sing along together. Thank God, I have noise canceling earbuds. 🤪 😁

One of my “complaints” is the blind spot and lack of lane crossing notification(I.e beeps). Not a big deal on long trips using AP but local on and off freeway/around town busy driving, I don’t want to look at my screen when quickly changing lanes in busy traffic. It’s obviously a learning curve as it’s not a car I have driven expect once. The side mirrors to me are a bit small, even when properly adjusted outward. I know you can get better “European” style side mirror glass to expand view.

Most importantly, is the half shaft a real serious issue? Also, I noticed during our test drive, the X was auto set to the second lowest setting. I would prefer to have it at medium height. Any way to keep it a Medium height and would this make it harder on the shafts or tires?

Last complaint, why can’t they install a second row center arm rest for the bench seat and especially arm rest for the captain chairs? Not sure how they missed this rather common feature.

Last edited:
Is this still a problem with new “re-freshed” MX? I imagine they haven’t changed anything in regards to improving mechanical components. I really don’t want to deal with this nonsense on $100k+ EV. I noticed when I test drove the Max yesterday, it was very quiet and relatively smooth. No complaints and can certainly see this being a great road tripper as I wasn’t expecting it to be this nice from some of the comments in this community. I much prefer driving to flying these days. So, I want to make I have a reliable family hauler and my Land Cruiser is currently it but it not nearly as smooth and quiet as the MX I drove. Plus the stereo is better and the screen for the passenger is fun to play with. My wife and kids like the Karaoke which shows on both front and rear screen so they can sing along together. Thank God, I have noise canceling earbuds. 🤪 😁

One of my “complaints” is the blind spot and lack of lane crossing notification(I.e beeps). Not a big deal on long trips using AP but local on and off freeway/around town busy driving, I don’t want to look at my screen when quickly changing lanes in busy traffic. It’s obviously a learning curve as it’s not a car I have driven expect once. The side mirrors to me are a bit small, even when properly adjusted outward. I know you can get better “European” style side mirror glass to expand view.

Most importantly, is the half shaft a real serious issue? Also, I noticed during our test drive, the X was auto set to the second lowest setting. I would prefer to have it at medium height. Any way to keep it a Medium height and would this make it harder on the shafts or tires?

Last complaint, why can’t they install a second row center arm rest for the bench seat and especially arm rest for the captain chairs? Not sure how they missed this rather common feature.
To the best of my knowledge, there are reports of this on the new Palladium models. On earlier models, there was an option to disable lowering, but I'm not sure it applies to the latest models. In either, case, lower ride height is generally better for suspension and worse for tires, but there are aftermarket components to allow for alignment to be correct at lower heights if you can find a shop to install and properly align at a lower height (the instructions in some alignment computers include a step where the distance to the ground is supposed to be measured prior to alignment, that step would clearly have to be skipped or tweaked).

It is still there. Telling you as a happy 2023 Model X Plaid owner. The SC tactic has changed, however. They don’t have a procedure for this generation. So at best they will “inspect it”, “torque to spec”, lubricate and conclude that everything is normal. At worst, they’ll cancel your appointment after a test drive with technician who will drive your car in chill mode slightly touching the accelerator pedal. I had 5 shaft-related appointments in different service centers of SF Bay Area over the last 6 months. They just don’t care