Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The second row seats as shown (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=92622&d=1441118598) do not appear to allow the back and bottom of the seat to move independently. Look at the leather - it is one continuous piece of leather. Contrast that to the first row seats, which have an obvious back and seat separate from each other. Also, look at the seat control. The front seat has the ability to tilt back and seat independently, whereas the second row seat control just allows the whole back/seat unit to tilt together - no independent controls for the back and the seat. And the configurator specifically says third row seat folds flat with no mention to second row. Based on all this, I really think THESE second row seats cannot fold flat at all.

Hopefully there is a bench seat option for the second row that can fold flat...

Can't help but think this thread is making a way bigger thing about the - supposedly- unfoldable 2nd row seats then it is. Even if true, how many people are going to use the Model X to carry that much stuff or very large objects? Don't get me wrong, I have once transported a bathtub in the back of my 14 year old Fiat Brava. But that was a $1500 car. I sure as hell would not be carrying bathtubs in a 140 grand Model X with delicate leather seats and all.
~

Attachments

• Car-Shipping-2-300x199.jpg
    Car-Shipping-2-300x199.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,756
A lot of you seem to be forgetting to consider child/infant cart seats. Speaking as an adult with children, by far the biggest pain the butt with rear seats is dealing with car seats.

Yeah, I was having similar thoughts. Also, is LATCH required for these 2nd row seats? Even if the 3rd row meet the legal requirements (?) I would be disappointed without it being in the 2nd row. That said, the renderings make it a bit hard to see where it would be given that the seat back doesn't appear split from the bottom. That said, it may be somehow between the seats.

Also, I haven't seen anyone post a reasonable explanation on how swivel might actually work (90 degrees for easy exit/baby access, or 180 degrees a la Extant). Although I don't really think it's probable, at least having 90 degree swivel might be nice. The way it could possibly work would be for the outer second row seats to move forward and then up before swiveling (a piston raises it just a few inches). This would get the base and back out of the way from the middle seat so it could do the swivel. It looks possible given the pedestal system images, but I still find it unlikely. Guess we'll just have to wait for the real reveal.

Last edited:
^^ this

Anyone expecting 360 degree cameras and holographic head up displays and electrochromic tinted glass and a rear seat entertainment system is in denial IMO.

It's a 7 seat SUV with a fantastic drivetrain and some very novel rear doors. The end.

anger should come in about a week, followed by grief....and eventually acceptance.

I don't get all the secrecy. If they are letting customers configure their cars (albeit a limited population) then they should be releasing the specs, pricing, etc. It's not like things are going to radically change at this point. I'm not plunking money down on a $100k+ purchase without having details/

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the 2nd row seats have two adjustments:

• The support pillars themselves move forward and back in the big oval tracks on the floor. That allows owners that configure without the 3rd row to slide the second row all the way back, right up against the rear platform, creating huge legroom. Also lots of space for people with dogs, cargo, etc. This also allows the seats to move far forward enough to create necessary legroom for adults in the 3rd row seats.
  • The seats also move forward and down on the pillars to allow them to slip under the front seats, as people have suggested. This requires both the adjusting pillars, and the adjusting seats to get them into position.
  • I no longer think the 2nd row seats are removable.
  • I'm not sure what the third row does when the 2nd row seats are tucked under the front seats. I'd think it would want to tuck down into the open space created by the tucked 2nd row seats, but I can't visualize it yet. Maybe they flip. With the headrests removed, they would hinge nicely over into that open space.

That's pretty much what I am thinking. I think maybe the pillars themselves will be able to move forward to allow space for the 3rd row seats to swing down onto the floor behind the second row. Like so:

ModelXseats.jpg

The 3rd row headrests would need to be removed for that second flip down, and it looks like they are removable.

I think a 70 kWh X will be over 200 miles for EPA rating.

Today we see 240 miles estimated by Tesla for the P90D X,

the Model S P85D is listed at 253 miles, and the website estimates +6% for upgrading from 85 to 90 kWh, so implied Model S P90D range of 268 miles.

this lets us approximate a Model X has 89.55% of the range of a Model S for the P90D version,

if the 70D X has 89.55% of the range of the Model S, that's 215 miles of range.

there are other variables, so this is a rough estimate, but I think over 200 miles of range on a 70 kWh X is very probable.

Tend to agree with jhm. 215 miles ideal. Once you add 6 people and bikes and gear and winter...you might have to stop every 2 hours to charge on a 70kWh.

Can't help but think this thread is making a way bigger thing about the - supposedly- unfoldable 2nd row seats then it is. Even if true, how many people are going to use the Model X to carry that much stuff or very large objects? Don't get me wrong, I have once transported a bathtub in the back of my 14 year old Fiat Brava. But that was a $1500 car. I sure as hell would not be carrying bathtubs in a 140 grand Model X with delicate leather seats and all.
~
If it can't hold this, I'd say we have a problem:

IMG_0294.jpg

I am in major denial about the console. We all know Tesla reads these forums. These forums could be the reason a center console was added on to begin with (to the model S). Then to not chance the design would be extremely disappointing. Someone can argue all they want about cost savings, yet when you are paying six figures for a car, a redesign of BOTH the x and s (so parts could be shared) should of been a priority. My x might combo the following.. l

467d1195326748-2007-cr-v-armrest-diy-armrest1.jpg

cupholder3.jpg

Adding onto my prior post #372, here is my own "stick figure" 2nd row seat concept that I was speculating about. You'll just have to forgive me for the extra "h" in wipe, it's part of the image now and I'm not going back to fix it.

View attachment 92692

This is the most logical one. You don't mess with the child seat (which Elon has focused on before when it came to the functionality and design of the X), makes the rear completely flat (which again Elon has focused on), is a very elegant solution (which Tesla is known for), and it is "magical" (word drop yadda yadda).

My money is on this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Adding onto my prior post #372, here is my own "stick figure" 2nd row seat concept that I was speculating about. You'll just have to forgive me for the extra "h" in wipe, it's part of the image now and I'm not going back to fix it.

View attachment 92692

This is the most logical one. You don't mess with the child seat (which Elon has focused on before when it came to the functionality and design of the X), makes the rear completely flat (which again Elon has focused on), is a very elegant solution (which Tesla is known for), and it is "magical" (word drop yadda yadda).

My money is on this one.