Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to pick up my Model S from the service center this morning. They've been sent a .pdf with information about Model X. The available dimension info: overall length: 198", overall width (mirrors extended) 89.4", overall height (doors closed) 66.3", ground clearance 7.2". Sig reservation holders will get an email inviting them to configure in order. Founders configured in August. Interior pictures all match what we've seen so we're seeing the final design.

So, the Model X will be 2 inches longer and a whopping 3.2 inches wider than the Model S, which is already a very wide car. Parking could be a challenge. But I am not sure how these dimensions compare to other SUVs...maybe not that different from the larger ones?

Having considered all the different options, I think the most likely solution is that the standard 2nd row seats fold flat, and the premium 2nd row seats merely swivel forvard. So you have to choose between practicality and premium. Slightly disappointing, but still workable.

And I do think Tesla is holding something back. I'm not convinced we're heard everything concerning the center console and I think there could be some tech features they've neglected to mention. Tesla knows it can get most signature holders to confirm the Model X without knowing all the specs. As long as all the things not mentioned are included anyway, the noise this will generate will be minimal.

All the info needs to be available before it's time to configure general production reservations, though. But Tesla may have bought themselves up to a month or so of secrecy.

Look at how the third row seats rest on a portion of the floor that is raised. My theory is that the second row seats rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise, drop flush to the floor and move forward so that the bottom of the second row is flush to the back of the front row.

The third row seats could then rotate forward and unfold so that they are flush with the floor beneath the third row seat. The floor of the cabin would be comprised of the bottom of the third row and the back of the third row. All the leather seating surfaces would be protected.

The hinge point of the third row rolling forward (clockwise) would be the bottom of the front of the seat.

Third row goes from this:

x
X
X
OOOo
_____

to this:

_____oOOOXXXx

Actually that's the most convincing theory I've heard so far.

Unfolding the 3rd row that way explains that rather cumbersome hinge visible above the seatbelt. And why the headrests appear to be removable.

The 2nd row seat hinge will move forward and slightly into the floor and that is why that big hole in the carpeting is present. The seats will slide forward over the pilon and lay flat.

The leather is safe. No laws of physics broken. It works.

So, the Model X will be 2 inches longer and a whopping 3.2 inches wider than the Model S, which is already a very wide car. Parking could be a challenge. But I am not sure how these dimensions compare to other SUVs...maybe not that different from the larger ones?

Width:
89.4" Tesla Model X
80.5" Chevrolet Tahoe
80.5" Cadillac Escalade
80.5" Ford Expedition
78.8" Lincoln Navigator

Look at how the third row seats rest on a portion of the floor that is raised. My theory is that the second row seats rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise, drop flush to the floor and move forward so that the bottom of the second row is flush to the back of the front row.

The third row seats could then rotate forward and unfold so that they are flush with the floor beneath the third row seat. The floor of the cabin would be comprised of the bottom of the third row and the back of the third row. All the leather seating surfaces would be protected.

The hinge point of the third row rolling forward (clockwise) would be the bottom of the front of the seat.

Third row goes from this:

x
X
X
OOOo
_____

to this:

_____oOOOXXXx

-------- --(FINALLY!!)
x . (*)-
X. \|/
X . |_
OOOo\\

A lot of you seem to be forgetting to consider child/infant cart seats. Speaking as an adult with children, by far the biggest pain the butt with rear seats is dealing with car seats.

There is additional opportunity for innovation here beyond the swivel out seat idea that would be consistent with what we are seeing (although still highly speculative). For example, it might be possible that the 2nd row seats can tilt forward to face the floor to provide increased cargo room when needed, and if so it could do it without removing the infant car seats (in which case it should probably only be operable from the seat itself so that it would be next to impossible to do it with a baby in the seat).

Second, there are places where 2nd row cup holders could go, but most of the time, I would have child seats in the middle row, and if I needed some extra seats for adults or teenagers, they would sit in the 3rd row. Now hopefully they were able to give the 3rd row enough head room, but I wouldn't count on it. But either way, I'm not removing the infant car seat if I don't have to, so any extra adults or teenagers are going in the back. So cup holders in the back, good. Cup holders in the middle, don't care. Also, there might eventually be a middle seat console that can be used for extra storage and cup holders.

Third, it would be nice if there was a way to improve access for the 3rd row. If the 2nd row seats can tilt forward, that helps, but again you would have to tilt the entire seat because there will most likely be an infant seat there.

So the whole 2nd row not folding thing could be in no small part due to infant seats. You can't recline seats with infant seats in them, nor can you fold them, without removing the infant seat. Perhaps Tesla has integrated cool ways of making life with infant seats better, and that's reflected in the 2nd row design.

All of this is all just my own personal speculation based on what we see so far.

Dealing with children is a huge part of most adult's lives, and if Tesla is trying to cater the X to people with small children, it seems reasonable that finding ways to make hauling children easier would be high on the priority list for whatever magical miracle fairy dust seating they are trying to come up with.

PS: I'm not sold on the submarine idea, because it would likely conflict with the front seats when the front seats are reclined. There are solutions to that, like forcing the front seats to sit back up straight (reasonable considering the level of software integration), but there would likely be other obstacles like child toys on the floor that would make it very problematic.

Last edited:

The supports would be in the way in this situation. Significantly so, as they're taller than the 2nd row seats are thick. Also, the supports would damage the leather on the 3rd row seats when heavy things were put on them.

I'm still a fan of the spooning solution, which would look like this (formatting try #2)

1, 2 and 3 are Seats, P is the platform, S is the 2nd and 1st row supports

Normal Mode:

3__2__1
33_22_11
PP_S___S

Lay-Flat Mode:
______1
_____211
PP33S22S

2nd row seat swivel:

TeslaXSeats.png

A lot of you seem to be forgetting to consider child/infant cart seats. Speaking as an adult with children, by far the biggest pain the butt with rear seats is dealing with car seats.

There is additional opportunity for innovation here beyond the swivel out seat idea that would be consistent with what we are seeing (although still highly speculative). For example, it might be possible that the 2nd row seats can tilt forward to face the floor to provide increased cargo room when needed, and if so it could do it without removing the infant car seats (in which case it should probably only be operable from the seat itself so that it would be next to impossible to do it with a baby in the seat).

Second, there are places where 2nd row cup holders could go, but most of the time, I would have child seats in the middle row, and if I needed some extra seats for adults, they would sit in the 3rd row. Now hopefully they were able to give the 3rd row enough head room, but I wouldn't count on it. But either way, I'm not removing the infant car seat if I don't have to, so any extra adults are going in the back. So cup holders in the back, good. Cup holders in the middle, don't care. Also, there might eventually be a middle seat console that can be used for extra storage and cup holders.

Third, it would be nice if there was a way to improve access for the 3rd row. If the 2nd row seats can tilt forward, that helps, but again you would have to tilt the entire seat because there will most likely be an infant seat there.

So the whole 2nd row not folding thing could be in no small part due to infant seats. You can't recline seats with infant seats in them, nor can you fold them, without removing the infant seat. Perhaps Tesla has integrated cool ways of making life with infant seats better, and that's reflected in the 2nd row design.

All of this is all just my own personal speculation based on what we see so far.

Dealing with children is a huge part of most adult's lives, and if Tesla is trying to cater the X to people with small children, it seems reasonable that finding ways to make hauling children easier would be high on the priority list for whatever magical miracle fairy dust seating they are trying to come up with.

I share your requirements for 2/3 row seats, your hope that Tesla has attempted a unique solution, and your location. I'm in the low 7ks production reservation, will I be able to see your X running around KC before mine?