Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or they drop by half because the AWD Model S will be announced and I bet over half with just buy a Model S instead of waiting. It'd definitely crossed my mind.

While I understand that Tesla wants this to happen very much, they will get a lot of pissed off customers and press if they limit the "D and something else" to AWD and driver assist technologies. All previous events put Tesla into spotlight as the innovator in the automotive industry. They were cool and groundbreaking. AWD and driver assist technologies are so old and boring at this point that TSLA may get some massive pounding on Friday if that's all they present. This will basically put them into position to play catchup with other car makers. Really not good!

I am going to be royally disappointed if they don't reveal the Model X beta. They announced Model X in Feb of 2012. It will be 3 years this winter... that's more than enough time to bring a car to market, especially if it's based on a current production platform.

P.S. Well... now that I am thinking this through. Since there are 4,000 mAh 18650 cells already on the market, they can announce the new 100kWh battery, which will be a big enough news to make Wall Street go bananas and have current Model S owners to upgrade to the bigger and better D.

So, I am 95% confident that we will see 3 thing on Thursday:
- Dual motor AWD
- Driver Asset Tech
- either Model X or bigger battery or both

Last edited:
I don't think Tesla cares whether or not people convert their orders from Model X to Model S. They are probably similar profit margins.

If, in fact, the reveal is the AWD model S, then what happened is that the AWD technology of the X got perfected well before the other Model X issues (falcon wing doors? Crash worthiness of swivel seats? Cargo space? Bigger battery? Just waiting until Model S demand slackens?), and Tesla is doing their usual and folding in new tech into the Model S as soon as it is ready.

Or they drop by half because the AWD Model S will be announced and I bet over half with just buy a Model S instead of waiting. It'd definitely crossed my mind.
It'll be impossible to tell how many drop out since the numbers aren't reused or compressed. I know regardless of what happens, I'm not taking delivery before November 2015, and I'll evaluate S AWD vs X at that time. I would prefer the higher ride height of the X. If they make S AWD only available with the performance package, it will be a non-issue since I have no desire to spend that much more than the base model. Of course, without firm pricing on either it's hard to make that call. Everyone's criteria is different, and I don't expect S AWD to steal too many X reservations.

While I understand that Tesla wants this to happen very much, they will get a lot of pissed off customers and press if they limit the "D and something else" to AWD and driver assist technologies. All previous events put Tesla into spotlight as the innovator in the automotive industry. They were cool and groundbreaking. AWD and driver assist technologies are so old and boring at this point that TSLA may get some massive pounding on Friday if that's all they present. This will basically put them into position to play catchup with other car makers. Really not good!

I am going to be royally disappointed if they don't reveal the Model X beta. They announced Model X in Feb of 2012. It will be 3 years this winter... that's more than enough time to bring a car to market, especially if it's based on a current production platform.

P.S. Well... now that I am thinking this through. Since there are 4,000 mAh 18650 cells already on the market, they can announce the new 100kWh battery, which will be a big enough news to make Wall Street go bananas and have current Model S owners to upgrade to the bigger and better D.

So, I am 95% confident that we will see 3 thing on Thursday:
- Dual motor AWD
- Driver Asset Tech
- either Model X or bigger battery or both

Driver assist could be fairly big, though, if they present a vision that is beyond what current manufacturers are offering or planning to offer anytime soon.

Personally, I am expecting them to unveil "D" as a family of AWD S and production X. It would make sense to showcase both cars and have the D brand on both of them (AWD models).

That said, the invite only showing a Model S might also mean they are focusing on Model S instead and letting Model X fly under the radar a bit longer, as it is in any case so well reserved that they will be filling out those orders for a long time.

Yeah, I can confirm I no longer get the reserve signature EU button either. (My own Sig of course remains safely reserved...)

I think this is pretty obviously related to the announcements today - I expect we will see a pre-production/early production Model X today. Perhaps even get the design studio to play with?