Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think most of us assume that the numbers are not quite right. Because of upgrades/downgrades/cancellations... etc. But up until the D reveal I would have pegged it at no more than 10% of the reservations. Now... who knows? I still feel pretty confident that 2015 Model X production is still already sold out (or pretty nearly there), on the assumption that they are only going to be able to make 15-20k in the first year (which was the estimates Elon gave.)
Yes, your assessment is likely correct. I was specifically trying to address the decreased rate of reservations in the month of October. If you exclude the duplicate reservations during October, the rate was likely less than the overall daily average for the first time in many months. It wouldn't surprise me if with people switching to the D there was actually a net decrease in reservations during October. I think the numbers will continue to trail off until the production version is revealed, at which point they should really get going.

I must change my reservation number in Europe from #2369 to #588... =) I pressed the upgrade button a couple of days before it was removed for Europe on my Dashboard and sent the money to Tesla today. I now have reserved European Tesla Model X Signature #588!

I'm sure the 85D is cannibalizing X sales like crazy. I wasn't planning on getting a Model S but ordered the morning after the D was announced!
smiley-transport027.gif

Go to first page in this thread. See 2nd post. This is the 14692 highest Production X in the USA number. Not total worldwide. The monthly rate is slowing due to the 'D' but not by much.

To me it looks like the monthly rate is about half of previous month. One reason is of course the ModelS 85D, Dual Drive, but also Q3-meeting with another delay for the delivery date of Model X must have had a negative impact. I guess we wont see much higher monthly rate for reservations until Q2 next year. For Tesla Motors it will not be that bad, how many car companies can show more than a yearly productions of reservations for a model they have not yet released? Add to this the reservation payment of $5 000 or $30 000.

To me it looks like the monthly rate is about half of previous month. One reason is of course the ModelS 85D, Dual Drive, but also Q3-meeting with another delay for the delivery date of Model X must have had a negative impact. I guess we wont see much higher monthly rate for reservations until Q2 next year. For Tesla Motors it will not be that bad, how many car companies can show more than a yearly productions of reservations for a model they have not yet released? Add to this the reservation payment of $5 000 or $30 000.

I would contend many car companies have an expected buy rate of cars from dealerships even before the model year begins. So, for example, when the guys at Ford start to make their 2015 whatever model ... Say fusion ice. They can count on dealers for maybe 55-60,000 orders for the coming year. They don't start making cars and force dealers to buy them. Dealerships are brokers for the buying public and pre-buy what they think will sell. Dealerships order in batches, I think, but dealers probably evoke some sort of demand basis for coming year models. I don't know how it works but dealers seem to push big car makers to make far more cars than if people put in custom orders. This is why I know Tesla has to stock cars at bigger sales galleries going into 2015 so people have an opportunity to buy right now rather than waiting.

I would contend many car companies have an expected buy rate of cars from dealerships even before the model year begins. So, for example, when the guys at Ford start to make their 2015 whatever model ... Say fusion ice. They can count on dealers for maybe 55-60,000 orders for the coming year. They don't start making cars and force dealers to buy them. Dealerships are brokers for the buying public and pre-buy what they think will sell. Dealerships order in batches, I think, but dealers probably evoke some sort of demand basis for coming year models. I don't know how it works but dealers seem to push big car makers to make far more cars than if people put in custom orders. This is why I know Tesla has to stock cars at bigger sales galleries going into 2015 so people have an opportunity to buy right now rather than waiting.

Don't think Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini or any other car maker with models priced at $70k and up are stockpiling those models in any big number. It's another thing of cars priced at $35k and less (like Ford Fusion). Tesla Model S and Model X will not be on stock in galleries in 2015 or even 2016.

Tesla has inventory stock now - just ask them. It is not a lot but it is out there.
Porsche shop near me has about 80 cars on the lot. Ouch!
Ferrari seem to be low sales counts, so I cannot compare to Tesla.
Porsche may be close in terms of a good compare. And I think they do cater to some custom orders but those Porsche dealers sure want you to buy off the lot.

Tesla has inventory stock now - just ask them. It is not a lot but it is out there.
Porsche shop near me has about 80 cars on the lot. Ouch!
Ferrari seem to be low sales counts, so I cannot compare to Tesla.
Porsche may be close in terms of a good compare. And I think they do cater to some custom orders but those Porsche dealers sure want you to buy off the lot.

Tesla's 'inventory stock' are the demo cars that they have. They have always been willing to sell those and then they replace them. That's how they keep the demo cars new. They do not have new cars waiting on a lot to be purchased. If you believe otherwise, it's because you believe everything you read. :) (Meaning, a certain analyst was completely misinformed.)

Tesla's 'inventory stock' are the demo cars that they have. They have always been willing to sell those and then they replace them. That's how they keep the demo cars new. They do not have new cars waiting on a lot to be purchased. If you believe otherwise, it's because you believe everything you read. :) (Meaning, a certain analyst was completely misinformed.)

Loaner cars at service centers are also considered "inventory" cars. And most recently, Tesla had a number of cars added to inventory by buyers who switched to "D" cars after their original order had been built. But the meta point is correct: Tesla does not build cars solely for inventory.

Hi Bonnie, with all due respect. they have had them at my local Tesla sales and service center. They are selling them but some have been on the lot for over a month now with window stickers and cleaned up and lined up along the road that I commute past and I checked the Vin #s on a few just to know whether they are the same. Some may be D-caused cancellations of cars. it is above-and-beyond customer service to allow an order to be changed after the car is produced or even hits the service center. Someone here posted they cancelled their P85 when it was at their Toronto sales center in favor of a P85D order. I try to keep private, as an investor, but I do want to know what is going on with the cars and company. The latest delivery looks like all 60 and 85 models without P designation so I have to believe that 60 owners would not have cancelled for a P85D. I swing by there every few weeks and take a look at what is there.

If you want, I can share details in a private message. My feeling is the only way Tesla can grow is to do both. Handle custom orders and drop in some inventory into the larger sales centers to offer "buy it now" solutions to peoples' wants and desires. If a truck is short one car for a busy sales center, add a loaner/inventory on it to try to sell it off the lot. I have a feeling that at some point in the future, California residents will be able to visit Fremont and be able to look at "today's extra production" and buy one on the spot. I just don't think Telsa can rely on custom-orders only as their long-standing future.

Last edited:
I will share the site through PM if you want. I don't want to take away from this thread's intent to track the ModelX tally. This site showcased this new sales and service location during the recent national electric drive week. It has been open a few months now in a converted old Toyota dealership. Big shop there.

Last edited: