Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, most car doors have single hinges, the place where they connect to the car body. The falcon doors have a hinge in the connector to the body and the place where they "bend" to reduce the space to open.

Really! My Prius and my wife's Acura both have two hinges per door. I cannot recall a car I've had that only had 1 hinge per door. The Model S also has two hinges.
You can see the two hinges getting attached at 3:50 with the top hinge shown below.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9yZeGmz8jRja1hiSTl4RDF2ODg/view?pli=1
door hinges.PNG

Last edited:
Good Morning MX-Friends,

Could anyone with knowledge from the Model S start please tell, how it worked last time, so we can suggest when the first bones will be thrown to us?

What do I mean?

Timetable before first deliveries, who are scheduled in Q3 2015. So let us not be foolish again - and take it as September, 30th 2015.

When do you expect the following things?

-first pictures
-reveal event
-first appearance on auto motor show
-open configurations for reservation holders, Sig and non-Sig (P)
-open configurations for all
-first MX's at show rooms
-test drives
-first deliveries (if you don't agree with Sept.30th)

Did I forget something? Please add!

I would love to get informations from the guys, who lived through the same long journey with their Model S and can tell from experience and not only from us - first Tesla-buyers.

Thank you and nice christmastime 4all
Earl

Could anyone with knowledge from the Model S start please tell, how it worked last time, so we can suggest when the first bones will be thrown to us?
-first MX's at show rooms
-test drives
-first deliveries (if you don't agree with Sept.30th)

First deliveries with the Model S happened before both showroom cars and test drives. Model X may be different, but with the S, they wanted to get cars out to people immediately when the line was ready to make them. Test drive and showroom cars happened after.

First deliveries with the Model S happened before both showroom cars and test drives. Model X may be different, but with the S, they wanted to get cars out to people immediately when the line was ready to make them. Test drive and showroom cars happened after.

We placed a deposit on an S60 in May 2012. We had to go to NYC to even sit in the Beta model they had there. Test drives for reservations-holders-only made it to NJ sometime over the summer.

We got an email to select our options at the end of 2012. Deliveries were delayed and cars were produced in the following order - P85s, 85s and then 60s. We were supposed to get our car (around #8000) by the end of March 2013, but we did not make the first quarter. Then they shutdown for a week to retool the factory, so our car made it to NJ around 4-17, and we picked it up on 4-20-13.

That was our experience as a non-signature buyer. Twenty months and 55,000 miles later, and we still love ours!

Hey thanks a lot, that's the kind of stuff we like. Am looking forward for others story to come.

First conclusions:
Beta could be shown around Q1

Configurations should be open somewhere from April and latest in June, or we got a real problem.

We placed a deposit on an S60 in May 2012. We had to go to NYC to even sit in the Beta model they had there. Test drives for reservations-holders-only made it to NJ sometime over the summer.

We got an email to select our options at the end of 2012. Deliveries were delayed and cars were produced in the following order - P85s, 85s and then 60s. We were supposed to get our car (around #8000) by the end of March 2013, but we did not make the first quarter. Then they shutdown for a week to retool the factory, so our car made it to NJ around 4-17, and we picked it up on 4-20-13.

That was our experience as a non-signature buyer. Twenty months and 55,000 miles later, and we still love ours!

Interesting -- we placed our order for S60 in November 2012 and took delivery exactly as you on 4-20-13 in Rockville. VIN 8293 . at 24k miles and love it as new still!

Elon Musk Quote... Model X will ship this summer

Per reporter tweet @jrcc Richard Lawler at Q&A with Elon Musk in Detroit this afternoon:
"Elon Musk: I have an issue with punctuality(in response to a question about Model X delay) said Model X will ship this summer."

Any confirmations?

I love the information in the Bloomberg article. I have to say I didn't like the tone of the moderator. He was condescending most of the time. He questions tended to imply negative connotations, rather than educate. This is one of the reasons I stopped watching Bloomberg news. It is not uncommon for its analyst to be "self-important" in their approach to interviews.

I also listened to the next video from Bloomberg News... the "anchor" got quotes incorrect, and misinterpreted others out of context. It reminded me of the Bloomberg's News coverage following he 3rd quarter announcements. One commentator admitted that he was not paying full attention during the conference call (taking a phone call), and the other said he hadn't even listened to the report at all! I wondered... WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE ON TV? Unfortunately, they are the "pretty faces" that pretend to know what they are saying, that now affect markets and lives.

As much as I like hearing from Elon directly, his candor get so twisted in the press.... take the BWM fiasco that he sighted.

Last edited: