Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Tire Installed Wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just rotated the tires my friends 2018 X, I now know not to do this. We drove a little and heard the screech, returned home and inspected the front. The rear wheel rubbed a little on the steering knuckle. The wheel had a little paint removed, nothing else, the steering knuckle has a small rub on it, not deep, just shiny. I contacted a service department and they said its happened before, to put the wheels in the right location, and everything is ok. Is this correct? Should I worry about anything

You do realize that most Model X’s are staggered? Front must stay on front and rear on rear. I don’t like changing direction on tires, some tires are directional as well. So basically my summer tires won’t get rotated.

My winter tires are square and I’ll rotate front to back each winter.

As far as damage, you are probably fine.

I read somewhere that Discount Tires will do the tire Left to Right rotation free of charge for Tesla owners? Can anybody comment on this? My MX is due for a tire rotation

No your MX is NOT due for a tire-rotation. Who the h*ll told you that?

Seriously, what on earth will swapping tires between left and right accomplish? Absolutely NOTHING ! It might even cause the car to start pulling to one side as the left and right geometry (toe-in & toe-out, camber) might not be identical and each tire has "worn in" to it's specific environment.

Rat-like companies like Discount Tires (what's in the name) only tell crap like that to draw customers in, trying to (up)sell them other stuff they don't need.

For the last time (because nobody searches and reads through threads anymore nowadays it seems): MX Tires can not be rotated because the front and rear tires are different sizes. Left-Right swaps are utter utter b*llshit.
So leave those tires alone. Leave them where they are and when they are worn down and need replacing, replace them (always both sides of an axle or ruin the differential).

I read somewhere that Discount Tires will do the tire Left to Right rotation free of charge for Tesla owners? Can anybody comment on this? My MX is due for a tire rotation
They will and it is free, but there’s absolutely no reason to do it unless you’re seeing uneven tire wear side to side on the car (not on the tire itself). Apparently my commute resembled a Nascar track and I had more than 1/32 difference between left and right sides so had them swapped.

In addition to the front-rear size difference, most of the tires for MX are directional, so in order to rotate side to side you would need to have the tires removed from the wheel and turned around, right?

Yes. Many modern tires are rotational and thus cannot be swapped between left and right. But those donkeys at Tire Discount can do anything man! They go „hold my beer!“

I am vehemently opposed against cheap tire shops. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys...

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
It came to no ones mind that something might be awry with your alignment or tire-pressures?
Nope and there wasn't. I'm very specific about tire pressure and my tires were worn evenly inside to out, even though I run in always low.

It was my first set of tires after buying the car and I was still driving it like my torque vectoring X6M, so I was not gentle in the corners. Current set of tires seems to be wearing evenly.

Yes. Many modern tires are rotational and thus cannot be swapped between left and right. But those donkeys at Tire Discount can do anything man! They go „hold my beer!“

I am vehemently opposed against cheap tire shops. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys...
Actually, none of the Model X OE tires are directional, they're all asymmetrical, which means they have an inside and outside, but not a rotation direction.

Actually, none of the Model X OE tires are directional, they're all asymmetrical, which means they have an inside and outside, but not a rotation direction.
Actually, the winter tires on the 20" Tesla winter tire and rim package I bought for my X are directional. I'm not sure if that counts as OE, because I don't know if they might start with those tires on an X sold in Alaska, for instance.

I just rotated the tires my friends 2018 X, I now know not to do this. We drove a little and heard the screech, returned home and inspected the front. The rear wheel rubbed a little on the steering knuckle. The wheel had a little paint removed, nothing else, the steering knuckle has a small rub on it, not deep, just shiny. I contacted a service department and they said its happened before, to put the wheels in the right location, and everything is ok. Is this correct? Should I worry about anything

How many miles did your friend have on these tires? There is another thread on tire replacement on here, majority of people had to replace at or under 20k miles, so maybe the tires wore out already when they rotated them, which they shouldn't have done anyway on the MX!

It should be fine. My car was delivered new to me with the wheels on wrong and 26k miles later, no issues.