Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Travel Trailer Consumption Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are your thoughts on the new Falcon Trailers? They have sizes up to 31 feet that are still under 5k lbs. I was thinking about getting this 27ft one. Looking to use it around central Wyoming. less than 100mile trips in my X90D. Think it's too big? They said it more aerodynamic than most trailers. It's sloped in the front quite a bit, not some much on the tail.

Falcon Ultra lite Travel Trailers - Travel Lite RV Campers
Falcon-F-27BHK

F-27BHK
Exterior Length – 27’4″
Exterior Width – 101”
Exterior Height – 104”
Interior Height – 6’3”
Dry Weight – 4,200 LBS
GVWR – 7,765 LBS
Hitch Weight – 465 LBS
Bed Size – 54″x75″
Dinette Bed Size – 40″68″
Bunk Bed Size – 30″x74″
Refer Size – 5 c.f.
Fresh Tank – 31 GAL
GAL Black/Grey Combo Tank (Bath Sink & Toilet)– 30 GAL
Grey Tank (Kitchen Sink & Shower) – 30 GAL

Within the limits. But pushing it once you start putting water or anything else in it.

Would probably swap out the OEM hitch receiver for the drawtite. Especially if using a WD hitch

What are your thoughts on the new Falcon Trailers? They have sizes up to 31 feet that are still under 5k lbs. I was thinking about getting this 27ft one. Looking to use it around central Wyoming. less than 100mile trips in mky X90D. Think it's too big? They said it more aerodynamic than most trailers. It's sloped in the front quite a bit, not some much on the tail.

Falcon Ultra lite Travel Trailers - Travel Lite RV Campers
Falcon-F-27BHK

F-27BHK
Exterior Length – 27’4″
Exterior Width – 101”
Exterior Height – 104”
Interior Height – 6’3”
Dry Weight – 4,200 LBS
GVWR – 7,765 LBS
Hitch Weight – 465 LBS
Bed Size – 54″x75″
Dinette Bed Size – 40″68″
Bunk Bed Size – 30″x74″
Refer Size – 5 c.f.
Fresh Tank – 31 GAL
GAL Black/Grey Combo Tank (Bath Sink & Toilet)– 30 GAL
Grey Tank (Kitchen Sink & Shower) – 30 GAL

Within the limits. But pushing it once you start putting water or anything else in it.

Would probably swap out the OEM hitch receiver for the drawtite. Especially if using a WD hitch

Is there a better drawtite? The one the shows up for he X is the same 5k rating.

2" Square Receiver Tube Opening
  • Max-Frame receivers are designed for trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles
  • Neat Appearance, All Frame Attachments
  • A-Coat Base w/ Black Powder Coat Finish
  • Rated up to 5,000 lbs. (GTW) Weight Carrying (WC)
  • Solid All-Welded Construction for Maximum Strength and Safety
  • Custom Built According to Manufacturer & Model Year
  • Ensures Perfect Fit and Top Towing Performance
  • Computer-Aided Design and Fatigue Stress Testing
  • Designed to Withstand Road Abuse Within Specified Capacities
  • Backed by a Nationwide Limited Lifetime Warranty

I think it'll have a huge hit on range, personally. Wyoming can be windy; 100 miles is probably pushing it in anything but a tailwind. The model you posted is a dual axle, which will be likely to play into the range effect.

Agree with @idoco that you'd want an aftermarket hitch as well.

They are telling me the dual axle would be more stable in the wind, so I would be interesting to see the effect.

Is there a better drawtite? The one the shows up for he X is the same 5k rating.
Not that I'm aware. The rating probably has more to do with rear axle capacity

OEM hitch recommends NOT using WD hitch. I'll defer to others but I'd think you would want a WD hitch with that trailer.

As for rating, 5k is factory spec for the two piece Bosal. Some people have noted some loosening/play when pushing the specs. The drawtite is one piece.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
As for rating, 5k is factory spec for the two piece Bosal. Some people have noted some loosening/play when pushing the specs.
Or even when over 20% less than the Tesla towing recommendation of 5,000 lbs tow weight / 500 lbs tongue weight. The stock Bosal hitch is apparently not that robust. In my opinion there is no way it would be safe for that Falcon F-27BHK trailer. But then that trailer, when loaded, will almost certainly exceed the Tesla towing recommendation.

The 5000lbs limit is just Draw-Tite being safe and parroting the Tesla limit. They make the same basic hitch for other vehicles that attach in the same way and have higher ratings. I cross shopped the X with a BMW X5, they have a hitch for it rated for 6k (that car’s factory limit) it’s basically the same as the Tesla part: Trailer Hitch Installation - 2015 BMW X5 - Draw-Tite Video | etrailer.com

It would be interesting/nice if Tesla published some kind of payload limit figure. I’d feel less comfortable using a light trailer with 6 passengers and luggage, than I would a heavy trailer by myself.

The other factor is side-view area - 27’ is quite long. An old school rule is to always have at least 6” of vehicle wheelbase for each foot of trailer length. At 116”, the X is only good for a 19’ trailer under this guide. Combined with the height of a TT, I’d be disinclined to want to go outside of town with that setup. With enough care you can make just about anything work, but the point of these toys is to have fun while doing all this...

My setup (trailer is 20’ long, 2k lbs. plus whatever car is inside):
IMG_4561.jpg

The 5000lbs limit is just Draw-Tite being safe and parroting the Tesla limit.
While this is true, your statement makes it sound like it's OK to go higher than the 5000 lb limit. Since we don't know for sure whether the design of the X or the limits of the stock Bosal hitch is what drove there 5000 lb limit, it's tough to say that a higher weight trailer is "safe" in the X.

My experience towing tells me that the car has ample power and stability to carry more than 5000 lbs, but I cannot speak to the rigidity of the unibody/skateboard, the strength of the axle and suspension, etc. So I think it is always best to follow the manufacturer's published limits. In this case, 500 lbs of tongue weight and 5000 lbs GVWR.

While this is true, your statement makes it sound like it's OK to go higher than the 5000 lb limit. Since we don't know for sure whether the design of the X or the limits of the stock Bosal hitch is what drove there 5000 lb limit, it's tough to say that a higher weight trailer is "safe" in the X.

My experience towing tells me that the car has ample power and stability to carry more than 5000 lbs, but I cannot speak to the rigidity of the unibody/skateboard, the strength of the axle and suspension, etc. So I think it is always best to follow the manufacturer's published limits. In this case, 500 lbs of tongue weight and 5000 lbs GVWR.
Yep - I agree with you. What I'd tried to convey, is in a scenario where one goes over 5k, I don't think it's the Draw-Tite hitch that's going to fail first. It's going to be something in the car's structure or chassis or overloading of its mechanicals.

Reactions: pox and ohmman
Or even when over 20% less than the Tesla towing recommendation of 5,000 lbs tow weight / 500 lbs tongue weight. The stock Bosal hitch is apparently not that robust. In my opinion there is no way it would be safe for that Falcon F-27BHK trailer. But then that trailer, when loaded, will almost certainly exceed the Tesla towing recommendation.
Hello Barry,

Can you contact me on my gmail. I would like to talk about your Alto battery pack: [email protected]

Hello Ecarfan,

Can you contact me on my gmail. I would like to talk about your Alto battery pack: [email protected]
Redmond in Quebec

Hello @ohmman @idoco @JimVandegriff it is me @AltoGrayhound @ecarfan owner of the new Alto A2124( picture attached me on the left with Daniel Nadeau company owner). After the aerodynamic test I did in 2018 with the F1743 (see picture) I talked with Daniel Nadeau and I worked with them on this new caravan. I did test comparison on the road with F1743 and F2114 and the new model is more efficient. I get around 500wh/mi. I compared with my experience of 15,000km with the F1743 and it keeps the road. I will see more this summer and specialy next winter when we ride 3 months in USA. Will keep you posted. should have picture of inside this week. I am working on spec with Safari Condo. More space and options with less energy!! Last I would like to thank you because your talkings and information was part of this project. It is a recent launch so I will get more pictures, infos and experience. I can tell you that it is a move in the good direction, best performance and great options. I can be contacted at my new email: [email protected] let me know your taughts and hope that it will push other manufacturer to innovate.
AltoA 2124 + Tesla porte ouverte Daniel et Redmond discussion 2 .JPG

Attachments

• Alto Grayhound all front box Oct18 prototype.JPG
    Alto Grayhound all front box Oct18 prototype.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ohmman
As this thread is about energy usage while towing a trailer, let me contribute some comments.

After 1 1/2 years of ownership and several thousand miles towing my 17 ft 1,700 lbs (empty weight from the factory, now about 2,300 loaded) Safari Condo Alto F-1743 trailer, I have found that on a level dry road, temperatures in the 60’s to 70’s, no headwind, I get these Wh/mi figures:

55mph — 485 to 520Wh/mi

60mph — 550 to 570Wh/mi

I am stating a range of Wh/mi values while maintaining a steady speed because no two routes are exactly alike.

Traveling at 50mph or less dramatically reduces energy usage. On a trip from San Mateo to Fairfield CA where I attempted to maintain 55mph but for part of the route I had to go significantly slower because of traffic or construction, my Wh/mi average was 467.

Last December I was staying 25 miles east of Barstow at the Newberry Mountain RV Park. Started eastbound with 282 rated miles (100% charge in my X100D after two years of ownership) and initially kept my speed to 50. After 20 miles I was surprised to see that energy usage was 412Wh/mi! No wind that I could see and a flat dry road. I increased to 55mph and arrived at Kingman with 100 miles of range remaining, averaging 473Wh/mi for that 118 mile segment.

Besides speed, factors that increase energy usage include elevation increases, colder temperatures, headwinds, rain or just a wet road surface, even a rough road surface. Of course elevation loss decreases energy usage, and a tailwind is wonderful! :D

Below is a photo of me charging at the Fairfield CA Supercharger. If you have questions about my trailer, please ask them in this thread Towing an Alto F1743 trailer with a Model X

0A4CB77E-5E55-47D5-AC3D-85E3121D2C50.jpeg

Last edited: