Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Travel Trailer Consumption Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m interested. :) Can you be more details about the conditions? Speed, temp, elevation changes.

Your numbers are basically the same as what I get at 55mph on a level, dry road with no headwind. Towing a Safari Condo Alto F1743, about 2200 lbs loaded. Increasing my speed to 60mph increases my energy consumption to about 600Wh/mi.

Your trailer is definitely more aerodynamic than mine.
Fair enough. I'm not going out for a few weeks but I'll try to set the trip odometer on the next drive.

Fair enough. I'm not going out for a few weeks but I'll try to set the trip odometer on the next drive.
What I do is, with a passenger in the car, find a level dry road with no headwind, where I can maintain a steady speed for around 10 miles. Get up to speed, set the TACC with no cars ahead in your lane and have your passenger reset one of the trip odometers. Then at the end of 10 miles or so see what the energy consumption figure is.

Understood. And while I know that TeslaFi says that they discard your Tesla account login after using it once to generate the API token, I prefer to not give my login info to anyone.
It's an API token is designed to be shared with trusted applications, so not quite login info. If you're concerned you can reset your password and all existing tokens will be invalidated.

Well, since this thread is back from the grave …

We just completed a 2400 mile round trip, NJ-FL-NJ. Trailer is a Surveyor 19BHLE. Dry weight is 3600, so loaded is between 4400-4500. Drive amazingly stable and steady; no performance concerns whatsoever.

Average consumption at highway speed (65mph) aggregated across the entire trip …

901wh/mi. Really high.

Each additional 5mph or so seemed to make a big bump - almost 100wh/mi.

We did it, we made it, we enjoyed the trip …. But it’s surely not the fastest way to travel.

I will remain eternally grateful for free Supercharging, that’s for sure!

Attachments

• 06C3E836-5782-4847-85F9-D44B74DB93BC.jpeg
    06C3E836-5782-4847-85F9-D44B74DB93BC.jpeg
    704.3 KB · Views: 94
  • D90BA799-F487-4CBC-A297-775478F34F44.jpeg
    D90BA799-F487-4CBC-A297-775478F34F44.jpeg
    818.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 75ED9C60-B0A5-433F-B269-2E4B23C49B1B.jpeg
    75ED9C60-B0A5-433F-B269-2E4B23C49B1B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • A48DB5D4-9DD3-4E10-AEF1-D2654997C5DC.jpeg
    A48DB5D4-9DD3-4E10-AEF1-D2654997C5DC.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 77
  • D444C6B7-F983-45CA-B158-39DCF3440962.jpeg
    D444C6B7-F983-45CA-B158-39DCF3440962.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 667B8B05-9DF7-471B-B693-675026EE0702.jpeg
    667B8B05-9DF7-471B-B693-675026EE0702.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 06387A7D-4FCA-40BE-97A1-E16D1C5394EA.jpeg
    06387A7D-4FCA-40BE-97A1-E16D1C5394EA.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman
Wow! I've seen that on climbs but rarely on the flats. I also don't typically drive at 65 mph.

Glad you had a great trip!

I suspect that your Airstream does a much better job slicing through the air than my brick.

It’s also unfortunate that I-95 hasn’t been designated a Superspeedway. Doing 65mph in the right lane is akin to standing still - 18 wheelers are blowing by at 85+. It’s a very ridiculous highway and aside from possibly Virginia, is barely policed. Driving 55 would basically block traffic.

That said, I haven’t looked at the total elevation change through the route. I probably should.

It should also be noted that it was *hot*. Mid 90s most of the time, so the HVAC was working overtime. It was easy to tell when the car was diverting cooling to the battery; the cabin temperature was palpably warmer. Still quite pleased with its performance ….

Was also interesting to see others’ reaction to it. We must’ve had at least a dozen people - maybe more - ask if they could take photos. Not sure about the west coast, but this was HIGHLY uncommon here in the east and especially the southeast. Usually very supportive, except for the one person who told me he hoped I flipped over in a ditch. That was … rude.

What's the story on that one? I assume that happened in Florida:rolleyes:

Was actually directed at my wife in a social media post. The guy told her he hopes we end up in a ditch because he’s a towing expert and towing with a Tesla is stupid. Actually sent her a bunch of videos of horrific trailer accidents.

No matter one’s feelings, that was horribly uncalled for.

Did you have any issues with non trailer Teslas using the "trailer spec'd" supercharger stalls? On my recent trip through New York state and Pa I was somewhat amazed at the number of (non trailer equipped) cars that I saw charging at the pull in / pull through trailer stalls. I am assuming they were (i) just lazy and didn't want to back in to the conventional charger stall and / or (ii) did not realize that they should be leaving the pull through / pull in for those travelling with trailers.

Also, just a casual observation. It has been about 24 months since I did this route (Toronto through New York, Pa, the Poconos, NJ) and in that period the congestion at the SC locations has (unsurprisingly) increased tremendously. Even those locations that were not full, had 2 or 3 open spots which at the older locations materially impacts charging speeds and overall trip time.

We just completed a 2400 mile round trip, NJ-FL-NJ. Trailer is a Surveyor 19BHLE. Dry weight is 3600, so loaded is between 4400-4500. Drive amazingly stable and steady; no performance concerns whatsoever.

Average consumption at highway speed (65mph) aggregated across the entire trip …

901wh/mi. Really high.

Each additional 5mph or so seemed to make a big bump - almost 100wh/mi.
Thanks for sharing your data. Given the size/shape of your trailer I am not surprised by those numbers. I suspect that going 55mph would produce around 700Wh/mi. I’ve towed all over the SW US and keep my speed to 55-60mph.
The guy told her he hopes we end up in a ditch because he’s a towing expert and towing with a Tesla is stupid. Actually sent her a bunch of videos of horrific trailer accidents.
Beyond rude; bizarre. I bet the videos he linked to did not involve Teslas towing.

Did you have any issues with non trailer Teslas using the "trailer spec'd" supercharger stalls? On my recent trip through New York state and Pa I was somewhat amazed at the number of (non trailer equipped) cars that I saw charging at the pull in / pull through trailer stalls.
I’m trying to understand your post. I was not aware that any Tesla Supercharger stalls are restricted to cars towing trailers. Any stall can be used by any Tesla that needs to charge.

I have been to Supercharger locations where there are “drive through” type stalls. Petaluma CA is an example. I do not believe they were designed that way so that cars that are towing don’t need to unhitch, as you block one stall with your trailer while using the other stall to charge (the two stalls are inline with no barrier between them).

I’m trying to understand your post. I was not aware that any Tesla Supercharger stalls are restricted to cars towing trailers. Any stall can be used by any Tesla that needs to charge.

I have been to Supercharger locations where there are “drive through” type stalls. Petaluma CA is an example. I do not believe they were designed that way so that cars that are towing don’t need to unhitch, as you block one stall with your trailer while using the other stall to charge (the two stalls are inline with no barrier between them).
They are absolutely not restricted to cars towing trailers and did not intend to suggest that they are so restricted. The intent of my comment was simply that if there are open "regular" stalls and someone is not towing a trailer, it would seem to me to be just a matter of courtesy not to take up a trailer stall if you are not towing a trailer (unless of course all of the other stalls are full - which was not the case in my particular recent observation).

Did you have any issues with non trailer Teslas using the "trailer spec'd" supercharger stalls? On my recent trip through New York state and Pa I was somewhat amazed at the number of (non trailer equipped) cars that I saw charging at the pull in / pull through trailer stalls. I am assuming they were (i) just lazy and didn't want to back in to the conventional charger stall and / or (ii) did not realize that they should be leaving the pull through / pull in for those travelling with trailers.

Also, just a casual observation. It has been about 24 months since I did this route (Toronto through New York, Pa, the Poconos, NJ) and in that period the congestion at the SC locations has (unsurprisingly) increased tremendously. Even those locations that were not full, had 2 or 3 open spots which at the older locations materially impacts charging speeds and overall trip time.

Surprisingly, no. We made a total of 38 stops over the 3 week trip, including while we were in FL. We had to unhitch twice on the journey down, and only once on the return. That was a very pleasant surprise.

Twice we saw someone in the end stall with the rest of the station empty, so we asked if they'd be comfortable moving. One person had absolutely no problem (and was excited to see the trailer!) -- the other person only had 3 minutes remaining on their session so asked us to wait. No problem of course, and if anyone had an issue I would've gladly dropped the trailer instead.

edited to add: I almost had to drop the trailer on the very first charging stop. There's an excellent stall at the Pedricktown (NJ Turnpike) charging station, that the Turnpike's dumptruck/flatbed trailer driver decided to use as his personal spot. I was able to angle myself in only blocking one additional stall (with plenty others free) but .... annoying. It's the PERFECT charging stall! Right along a curb line, nose-in. He left a bunch of garbage on the ground behind it too - empty wrappers, rags, used gloves and his sunglasses. I hope he found where I moved it all on his flatbed before taking off.

Thanks for sharing your data. Given the size/shape of your trailer I am not surprised by those numbers. I suspect that going 55mph would produce around 700Wh/mi. I’ve towed all over the SW US and keep my speed to 55-60mph.
That's a very practical, safe and about as efficient-as-it-gets speed. Unfortunately the I-95 corridor is so busy and so fast ... welcome to the Northeast.

The good news is that you only had the one interaction with this person. They have the unfortunate task of having to live with themselves every day.
Indeed. That's all I'll mention about it lest I let them live rent-free in my head.

They are absolutely not restricted to cars towing trailers and did not intend to suggest that they are so restricted. The intent of my comment was simply that if there are open "regular" stalls and someone is not towing a trailer, it would seem to me to be just a matter of courtesy not to take up a trailer stall if you are not towing a trailer (unless of course all of the other stalls are full - which was not the case in my particular recent observation).
I don't think most people even think about trailering or "why" those stalls are reversed. And in fact, *I'm* questioning our understanding of them as well. This sign has me double-guessing myself. It actually makes sense; there's room to move around on many of those nose-in spots. So are they designed for disabled access priority, and we've been assuming wrong all these years? Maybe. But either way, I was very pleased to see those signs -- raises the consciousness for those who may need a little more access.

Attachments

• IMG_1288.jpeg
    IMG_1288.jpeg
    777.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1105.jpeg
    IMG_1105.jpeg
    678.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
My perspective is that you are operating from an incorrect assumption; the vast majority of Tesla owners have never seen a Tesla towing anything and it would not occur to them that some stalls at a Supercharger location might be suitable for charging without unhitching. In fact most Tesla owners have probably never towed anything. They aren’t being discourteous; they simply cannot envision a Tesla owner needing a particular stall because they are towing a trailer.

My perspective is that you are operating from an incorrect assumption; the vast majority of Tesla owners have never seen a Tesla towing anything and it would not occur to them that some stalls at a Supercharger location might be suitable for charging without unhitching. In fact most Tesla owners have probably never towed anything. They aren’t being discourteous; they simply cannot envision a Tesla owner needing a particular stall because they are towing a trailer.
Fair - I fully appreciate that not every Tesla owner spends way too many hours perusing these forums and topics that have absolutely no relevance to them.
;)

But most of them have seen people with bike racks on their hitches. Many of the spots that are easier for trailers are obviously also easier for hitch racks. I also agree with the earlier poster that thinks if all other spots are open they should probably try to leave those spots open for people with hitches. Difference of opinion obviously, I'm not going to change your mind, and that's fine.

I also agree with the earlier poster that thinks if all other spots are open they should probably try to leave those spots open for people with hitches.
In my perfect world that always happens. :) And yet that does not seem to be the reality…

I have a bike rack that I use with my Model 3 so I appreciate the difficulty charging with that mounted on the hitch, and I tow an RV trailer with my X. But over 99% of the many Y and X Teslas I see on the streets of Vancouver do not have anything attached to their hitch. The 3 and the S do not have a factory hitch option. So the typical Tesla owner is unlikely to think of the “hitch users” when they pull up at a Supercharger.

Reactions: JimBob 909