Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I woke today to a 1 hour and 40 minute update on my 2018 model x. I wish Tesla would give you some indication on what the Update is ( like iPhone does) . I have researched and all I can find is an August update with Atari games! Anyone else have updates in past few days?

Most are getting 28.5 right now, likely the same. Nothing new but bug fixes (and who knows what new bugs hehe). The update number is on the bottom of the app as well as the main T screen in the car. Odd, always some version number usually presented.

Providing release notes prior to installation has been a long standing request - since the first updates after the Model X first went into production.

The other long standing request is the ability for owners to request an update be sent to their car - which Musk indicated months ago would be coming - and we're still waiting, maybe it'll be part of the Version 9 release.

Since Tesla doesn't provide any indication what's in the pending update - and often the release notes only states only minor bug fixes and improvements, if you're concerned about a new release, don't install it when you get it, check the forums, and see what everyone else is getting in the new release.

I woke today to a 1 hour and 40 minute update on my 2018 model x. I wish Tesla would give you some indication on what the Update is ( like iPhone does) . I have researched and all I can find is an August update with Atari games! Anyone else have updates in past few days?
As with everything-Tesla, you need to root the car to know anything of value ;) Otherwise they are of the opinion that they need to keep you unaware. I don't know why, but it is true.

(seeing your later upgrade frozen troubles - yes, rooting helps with those too).

Update number?

Update 2018.5.377 ec8b took 12 hours to complete and road service to wake up Model X ! It completely shutdown, tech folks could not wake it. Road service opened trap door in grill ,pull two strings, popped open Frunk, popped of battery cover and put jump start cables on it, it woke instantly. Had to reboot touch screen. Got new Navigation updates and new warning for hands on wheel while on AP.

BOTTOM - make sure u have strong internet signal when doing software update. Service said seen this before. My EV was 99% downloaded when system went to sleep. This happened in the parking garage of a high rise. All cement!

• Informative
Reactions: Bogobec
As with everything-Tesla, you need to root the car to know anything of value ;) Otherwise they are of the opinion that they need to keep you unaware. I don't know why, but it is true.

(seeing your later upgrade frozen troubles - yes, rooting helps with those too).

Update 2018.5.377 ec8b took 12 hours to complete and road service to wake up Model X ! It completely shutdown, tech folks could not wake it. Road service opened trap door in grill ,pull two strings, popped open Frunk, popped of battery cover and put jump start cables on it, it woke instantly. Had to reboot touch screen. Got new Navigation updates and new warning for hands on wheel while on AP.

BOTTOM - make sure u have strong internet signal when doing software update. Service said seen this before. My EV was 99% downloaded when system went to sleep. This happened in the parking garage of a high rise. All cement!

Providing release notes prior to installation has been a long standing request - since the first updates after the Model X first went into production.

The other long standing request is the ability for owners to request an update be sent to their car - which Musk indicated months ago would be coming - and we're still waiting, maybe it'll be part of the Version 9 release.

Since Tesla doesn't provide any indication what's in the pending update - and often the release notes only states only minor bug fixes and improvements, if you're concerned about a new release, don't install it when you get it, check the forums, and see what everyone else is getting in the new release.

This was update I finally got 2018.28.5 377ec8b

Attachments

• 9B19D617-0929-49C8-ACFD-0448CEF509AD.jpeg
    9B19D617-0929-49C8-ACFD-0448CEF509AD.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 110

Very informative. I had always thought that the new firmware was already 100% downloaded before you got the "Install" message. Didn't realize it was not downloaded and/or only partially downloaded.

For a long time, I would only run updates at home, backed into my driveway (not in the garage) in case something like this ever happened. I figured at least a tow truck would have less trouble than pulling me out of the garage backwards!