Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vehicle and service has been a nightmare!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X has been to service 5 times since March 2020. For all sorts of issues, however the last 2 times I took it to service for a warning that stated my brake fluid is too low and to pull over. Both times they told me it was normal and it should give you that warning when parking on an incline. I told them that warning was on all the time regardless of incline or if I was parked or driving. Anyway they dismissed it and I even had to beg to get them to at least check or replace the sensor. That didn't fix it either.

Over the weekend the car left us stranded at the park in over 100 degree heat with my small children while it took tesla hours to get me to go through all the reboot tricks and try all sorts of other things, and gave up and finally told us they will send a tow truck and uber credits (which I won't use with a newborn). While waiting for a tow truck I read about a hack where you can change the rim size and it will reboot, and I tried that and the car worked again, however all sorts of glitches (see attached photo) were still going on.

Now I have to have an unsafe vehicle and wait 3 weeks for a service appointment, which they don't even respond to or provide a loaner car. Trying to get service through the mobile app is useless (see attached photo).

I have no idea what to do, just venting after paying so much for a car that I don't feel safe driving and just sits in my garage, how can I get this fixed :(

Attachments

• D432D31D-7AAB-47AE-9443-B3C003830EDA.jpeg
    D432D31D-7AAB-47AE-9443-B3C003830EDA.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_3944.jpg
    IMG_3944.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 161
Hi @mouchla ,

I have had the blacked out portion of the IC on my 2018 Model X.
For me it took 2 different types of reboot...
First the scroll wheel reboots with or without the brake pedal...

Then the second series of reboots involve going into the service panel
to change your wheel size or color...
Change the wheel size or color and confirm the change for a reboot.
Change the wheel size or color to the original and confirm the change for a 2nd reboot.

The wheel size reboot restarts the gateway.
This helps odd situations like the black portion of the IC.

Good luck,

Shawn

Hey Shawn thanks for the tip... The wheel size change worked to get my car started but didn't fix the black portion of the ic.

It's at service once again and was offered a Nissan rogue when I told them multiple times I needed at least a 6 seater as my family is 6. Not sure what to think anymore, let's see what service says I guess

Just an update I'm getting my car back tomorrow after 3 weeks and they are saying half the problems are firmware. They don't know when the update to fix the issues will be released. They are going to return this car back to me with ongoing issues and I'm thinking about not accepting it until it's fully operational.

Any advice?

I have been away from my MX for almost 2 months now and still several weeks before I get back to it, but I know there are several issues that were minor waiting for firmware issues, and not sure I want to perform the couple of updates that are waiting. However as long as it is drivable, I would rather have it that it sit in a shop.

Re: the lemon law suggestions, Buying and Maintaining a Car has some general guidelines for CA lemon law (each state is different). Seems to only be covered within the first 18 months or 18K miles, whichever comes first.

Since I've never had to go this route (none of my cars have ever needed that amount of work or been in the shop nearly that long), I can't give much advice on that other than if the OP wishes to go there, make sure the time hasn't passed.

I have been away from my MX for almost 2 months now and still several weeks before I get back to it, but I know there are several issues that were minor waiting for firmware issues, and not sure I want to perform the couple of updates that are waiting. However as long as it is drivable, I would rather have it that it sit in a shop.
Is that every X or just yours?
What other minor?

I’m about to pull the trigger on X and I read this thread…
Good luck to OP and all

it’s just weird that if they make all Xs the same then how did this one come out bad

I would still buy another MX. My MX started "rebooting" while driving since the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade. Not often, maybe once or twice a month, but when it happens for the first time while driving 65mph on the highway is pretty disturbing. I have read of other "new" issues that have come up after the last few updates. Nice thing is that they are almost always software related, and can be fixed during another upgrade, although some of these issues people have been having over the past month or so are a little more disturbing to me since I am planning another drive from MA to FL in the next month or so.

Gotcha
It’s funny how much tolerance including myself have for Tesla issuers and Tesla service. I’m sitting here for model 3 upper control arm fix and I see some dude roll up in a X and to the service advisor, he says hey good to see you again! Lol
-the 3 different Tesla’s we’ve had up to now has visited service more than any other cars we’ve had in the past

The issues with the car when I took it into service this last time

Brake fluid warning remained on after several service trips
Falcon doors misaligned and paint chipped
Falcon doors won't open from the front screen
Garage opener would repeatedly open and close the garage door
Parking assist warning while driving
Car wouldn't get out of "car off" mode
Large black out section on dash screen as seen in photos above

So of the above items they said they fixed only the brake sensor, misaligned falcon doors, car off (SD card)

The rest of the issues they said I have to wait till a future update occurs and they don't know when that will be.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I had the unresponsive screen and garage door issues since the update and magically fixed itself on last Friday. I still have monile tech coming today with gateway sd card replacement, but it may be unnecessary. This is the second sd card i'm getting replaced and the last one fixed the issues - so you may be left with just brake fluid warning...

I have a 2018 MX and have experienced many minor issues. During the 3 yrs of ownership my car has been in shop more then any car I owed, even my 1998 Lexus which I had for 14 yrs amd had 204,000 only was in shop 3 times for work (otter thrn btakes, turn up, tires).
My cars dash, touch screen and lights would shut off for no reason. Very scary when driving at night on fwy at 65+ and the cars still runs and is driving… without interior or exterior lights. After panicking I took a deep breath and did scroll reboot. When it rebooted everything came on. My father said still take the car in. Of course they couldn’t find anything.

I’ve had my car towed 3 times. The last bring in august 2021 when I got many different warnings and the once again lost all lights and screens. I was only 3 houses away from my home so able to get to my driveway. Put car in park, but my door would not open. Called Tesla roadside and they tried sending reboots. After about 20 min they called for a tow. Just after tow truck hooked up car it rebooted because we saw the lights come in. That was about 90 min after everything started. Since my car was towed in Tesla service started working on it the next day. It took 12 days to get it back. They said I had an electrical shortage and they had to replace wires and harnesses in falcon doors. It was covered by warranty, but the advisor had said if a rodent and chewed at wires I would have paid. I’m sure they would have been costly.

Other issues: My right middle seat seatbelt gets twisted and I’ve had the car in 3 times in the past 15 mos. My car stops charging in the middle of the night (port turns yellow or red). I even had one phone rep tell me that “someone” partially moved the charger cable at 3 am! No one was up then to mess with the cable. The butthole door needs to realigned every few months. Just little annoying things.

I would recommend if the car is unsafe to drive, tow it to service rather then have it sit in your garage. I find when it goes towed in they will start working on it sooner. Of course only tow if it’s unsafe to drive or can’t be driven. If they offer Uber credits explain why with a large family, schedules etc that doesn’t work. Be forceful. Also get in contact with Tesla dispute 866-629-3204 if issues continue.

When scheduling an appt try to get Monday or Tuesday. They will try and have car back before the weekend. When I scheduled Thursday and Fridays my car was always there over the weekend. Mostly because they didn’t get started on it when it first came in.

When people ask about my MX.. I tell them it’s great when everything works. But unfortunately in the first 18 months it spent over 34 days (week days) in the shop. It seems after every update something happens or something stops working.

I have a mobile this Friday because my steering wheel no longer resets to my saved driving profile. My seat moves but the steering wheel I adjust manually. I continue to hit the save button thinking it might work. Then last week I noticed that I no longer have DRL. I made sure I’m not on range mode. They just stopped turning on automatically. When I scheduled the appointment it gave me the option of mobile (first one was in 4 days, but I wasn’t available) or in shop which was over 3 weeks.

Good luck with your repairs and remember to be forceful. You paid a lot and deserve the best service at a reasonable time.