Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For OP to keep it simple, any trim of the Model 3 is a better “value” than the S or X.

People can try rationalize this, rationalize that but doesn’t take a genius to realize it takes a lot of rationalization to pay 2x for approximately the same if not better Tesla experience.

This goes against my interest being a TSLA shareholder to tell you this but honesty comes first.

In the USA the tax benefits can make the actual net costs of a Model X much less than a comparable Model 3 to to special tax treatements for full sized SUVs. If you own a profitable business your accountant will explain how buying the SUV for business use will cost much less.

This. the additional tax advantages the X has, plus free supercharging for life was the kicker for me in choosing the X over the 3. Having dual screens is awesome and the FWD are just so fun.

both are different cars tho but if you have the budget, my vote would be for the X, hands down.

Not sure if this should be in the Model 3 Forum or the Model X Forum, and I am not trying to be "inflammatory" but just throwing this out there. In Canada, a well equipped Model X 100D is about CDN$146,000. I have not yet been able to configure a LR dual motor Model 3, but from what I have seen, I think the price for that would be around CDN$75K (more or less, in each case before tax?) - Please correct me if I am wrong.

While I get that they are 2 very different vehicles, and I don't really "need" the extra seating room in the Model X (I have 3 row SUV for taking the kids etc), any thoughts on what is effectively twice the price of the Model 3 to get a Model X?

I took an extended overnight test drive of the Model X a few months ago (drove my daughter up to Western etc) and I absolutely loved it, the kids loved it, it was awesome. But it is pretty much 2x the price of the Model 3.

I appreciate that it might be apples to oranges, but just throwing it out there for discussion. I am sure the Model 3 drives beautifully, is still a Tesla which everything that means, but the X, well that just seems like a space ship / car from the future and something truly different. But 2x the price?

Great post and even though it really is "apples to oranges", there's nothing wrong with comparing apples to orange. In fact, what you have posted has ran through my mind too, and you articulate the issue very well.

Thx for all the replies. “Value” is definitely a funny thing. Leaving “need” and “space” totally out of the equation, there are clearly some “advantages” to the 3 over the X, many of them listed in this thread, including better range, better maneuverability/ nimbleness and possibly (although I don’t know if this is technically true) newer battery technology. And if one doesn’t need the extra space of the X , based on pricing alone, the 3 would seem to be the more logical choice. But on some level, the 3 is “just a car” while the X is just something different.
I have a 3 on reservation but I am late fall 2018 so I still have lots of time to think, but I sure turn my head every time I see an X roll by here in Toronto ( and I sure spend way too much time on these forums!)

This. the additional tax advantages the X has, plus free supercharging for life was the kicker for me in choosing the X over the 3. Having dual screens is awesome and the FWD are just so fun.

both are different cars tho but if you have the budget, my vote would be for the X, hands down.

I completely agree! I am coming from a Prius and never thought I would own a Model X if it was not for the business tax advantage. The minute I sat in the Model 3, I knew it was not for me and started looking at pre-owned Model S until I came across Section 179. That to me was a no-brainer to go with the X, especially since we had a baby recently.

To OP: Yes, it is 2-3x the price of a Model 3 depending on the trim level, but it is one heck of a car.If you have the money then go for it.

My favorite features are the auto presenting doors and the panoramic windshield (Never thought the auto presenting doors would be useful until I had it, They come handy in many instances. I miss it and the windshield whenever I drive any other car and that includes the Model S). Model S & 3 do have the all glass roof but it does not compare to the X as the driver gets to enjoy the view.

My only regret is not getting the 100D.

Same here. We use the 3 as much as we can because it is more efficient, cheaper to operate, more fun to drive, and easier to park.

But if we need AWD, or room to throw my wife's bike inside, or are hauling a big load of stuff, or will be driving our elderly parents somewhere, or are going to a trailhead that requires a lot of ground clearance, or are going on a long road trip with camping gear...the X is almost as nice to drive, still more efficient than a gas car, and a far better tool for the job.

Having both is definitely the way to go if you can.

DIGITS(1032).jpeg

We love the S too, but its lease will be up soon. It would be a good pick for an only car, but given we have the other two we no longer need it.

Last edited:
Well, now that the orders have opened, I took the plunge last night (June 30, 11:30 pm - before July 1) and placed an order for a blue M3, LR, AWD, PUP, EAP with 19 inch wheels. I have to admit that I still can't shake the feeling that I would be more excited if I bit the bullet and ordered an X, but in truth, we just don't need a second vehicle that size, and the spec'd out cost of the X would be almost exactly double the 3. But still.....

Took delivery of a Model 3 (LR, PUP) and after a few days of driving it, I feel ready to make some comparisons to our Model X (60d, EAP, 6 seats). Outside of the obvious SUV vs small sport sedan, I actually do think the Model X has a ton of nice little features to continue to separate it from the Model 3... which I am guessing was done on purpose. I think the 1 screen on Model 3 is really well done, but I do miss the 2 screens on the Model X and ability to see more info (miles/time driven, current speed, music playing on dash; rear camera, maps on main screen) all at the same time. Also, the little touches even though I don't have PUP on the X like automatically opening doors with key fob, closing driver side door with brake, to me it really is still a level above the 3. Aside from size, I'm wondering if anyone with an S still feels this like I do in the X.

All that being said, the 3 is awesome! It's clearly a totally different feel being closer to the ground, and compared to a 60d with 0-60 in 5.9 sec, the 0-60 in 5 sec of the 3 is definitely noticeable. The premium sound system that comes with PUP in the 3 is definitely an improvement from the X's standard audio (which I find respectable). Only negative so far I've seen with the 3 is the rear is a little tight for fitting in 3, in the Accord that we just traded in we could put a car seat on one side and another rear-facing in the middle, but we can't do that in the 3. The 3 is definitely a Tesla, but I think the X has some nice touches that separate itself as a flagship vehicle. I'd be curious if Model S owners feel the same?

Well, now that the orders have opened, I took the plunge last night (June 30, 11:30 pm - before July 1) and placed an order for a blue M3, LR, AWD, PUP, EAP with 19 inch wheels. I have to admit that I still can't shake the feeling that I would be more excited if I bit the bullet and ordered an X, but in truth, we just don't need a second vehicle that size, and the spec'd out cost of the X would be almost exactly double the 3. But still.....

just wrote up a quick comparison above about X and 3. I think you made the right choice right now if you don't need the extra room of an SUV. While I think the X has some features and touches the 3 doesn't, the 3 is a Tesla for sure and everything I love about the X, the essence is all there in the 3. Not sure it would justify 2x the price for what you would want in an X, unless at the core, what you need is an SUV. Of course, the 3 may be your gateway into eventually getting an X :).

Thx for all of this. We recently got rid of our 10 year old Honda odyssey and picked up a QX60. We still need something with 3 rows and luggage space for at least the next few years and this is an excellent road trip vehicle. So, we definitely don’t need the size and space of the X. Maybe one day. Excited about the 3. Should be a great daily driver and the occasional road trip where we don’t need that much space.

Like others on here our answer is to get both:).

Cannot see us not having a X on the drive now that we are use to the extra space/utility it offers, but also waiting on a 3 to replace my wifes Lexus IS.

Biggest temptation for me right now though is to forget about the 3 (The Lexus is only 3 years old and my wife quite happy with it), and use the allocated money to upgrade our 75D X to a P100D :).