Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Volvo XC90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are considering the T8 but will likely end up with the Model X. My take on T8 vs. T6 is the opposite of yours. The T8 costs $18,300. However, the Inscription package is $2,100 lower on the T8, federal tax credit $4,585, CO state credit of $6,000, gas savings, plus higher residual value upon sale all lead me to the T8. Perhaps the difference in our thinking is the state credit of $6,000. Or I am looking at it wrong. Help me if I am missing something.

If I had a 6k tax credit I would seriously consider the T8. That is a big chunk of the price difference right there. It's hard for me to gauge the gas savings from the T6 though. The T8 isn't going to be in EV mode ever, at least the way I drive. I'll be curious to see what the real world numbers come in at once people start getting there's.

If I had a 6k tax credit I would seriously consider the T8. That is a big chunk of the price difference right there. It's hard for me to gauge the gas savings from the T6 though. The T8 isn't going to be in EV mode ever, at least the way I drive. I'll be curious to see what the real world numbers come in at once people start getting there's.

One thing to keep in mind is that T8 is not a real AWD and I bet it handles worse in slippery conditions than T6, not to mention Model X.

One thing to keep in mind is that T8 is not a real AWD and I bet it handles worse in slippery conditions than T6, not to mention Model X.

Given the sheer power of even a non performance Tesla at each axle and the car's significant weight I am sure its awd is better than any xc90. However, I live on a fairly steep hill. I have yet to see any awd vehicle not make it up. Minivans and rwd are the only things I've seen get stuck in the snow, so even if the xc90 t6 or t8 is not the best I'm confident it will do the job for me.

Some awd systems like Lexus can't divert a huge amount of power to the rear, but I've never seen one have trouble where I live.

This is actually one of the reasons why I was put off by the T8. Think it's a brilliant car (technology wise, it even has some advantages over the X!) but going from 4WD to 2x2WD is just a no (if the electricity motor is empty you'll be stuck with 2WD). Plus the range is highly questionable (tiny fuel tank). Yes, it's a little cheaper but sticking with my X reservation for those main reasons!

This is actually one of the reasons why I was put off by the T8. Think it's a brilliant car (technology wise, it even has some advantages over the X!) but going from 4WD to 2x2WD is just a no (if the electricity motor is empty you'll be stuck with 2WD). Plus the range is highly questionable (tiny fuel tank). Yes, it's a little cheaper but sticking with my X reservation for those main reasons!

Not that I'm trying to be Mr. XC90, but it's not like after a little bit of driving you lose AWD. The engine can maintain available power for the rear. Lexus has even started doing this with their mild hybrids.

If you itemize deductions, and end up with payable taxes of over $4585 in the Volvo's instance, or $7500 in the Tesla's instance, then that comes right off the taxes that you owe. It is not a deduction, but rather a credit applied to the total taxes you owe. At least that is how it worked on our Model S. So, for example if you paid $10,000 in taxes for the year, purchase the Tesla, then you get to deduct the $7500 from the $10,000, and only owe $2500. Same applies for the Volvo T8 - you paid $10,000 in taxes for the year, purchase the Volvo, then you get to deduct the $4585 from the $10,000 you owe, and then only owe $5415.

- - - Updated - - -

The X has a front electric motor, and a rear electric motor, and the two are not connected via a drive shaft. The XC90 T8 has a front gas/electric motor and a rear electric motor, and the two are not connected via a drive shaft. Similar design layouts, except the XC90 has more "stuff", and the Tesla is more "simple" with less "stuff".

Here is the government link to credits: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxphevb.shtml

Regarding the XC90 T8, one of the members on the Volvo forums from the Netherlands who has already taken delivery of his T8 last month is averaging over 42.5 mpg in the Save mode when not driving on pure battery power and using gasoline.

Last edited:
I'd probably cancel our Model X reservation today and order an XC90 T8 if not for the fact that I'd be getting gas every two weeks (which we don't get at all now because we drive a Toyota Rav4 EV). With a 60-mile round trip commute, only 15-20 miles of EV range, and the XC90 only getting 22 mpg on a 13 gallon tank, there's no way that vehicle works for us despite how nice it looks and all the desirous features it comes with.

I'd probably cancel our Model X reservation today and order an XC90 T8 if not for the fact that I'd be getting gas every two weeks (which we don't get at all now because we drive a Toyota Rav4 EV). With a 60-mile round trip commute, only 15-20 miles of EV range, and the XC90 only getting 22 mpg on a 13 gallon tank, there's no way that vehicle works for us despite how nice it looks and all the desirous features it comes with.

For a long time I had a 70 mike round trip commute, but worked at home a couple days a week. Personally I thought that was the edge of the sweet spot for a Tesla. I changed to an every day 94 mile commute, which was for me a Tesla required kind of commute. No good places to stop for gas until I was close to home, I was experiencing take anxiety since I couldn't make it through a full work week on a tank.

Whether or not I would choose T8 vs T6 will probably come down to real world numbers in the US. It's hard to make a good conversion of those crazy euro numbers.

oh - mistake .... wait -

Volvo XC90 is made in Sweden by a Chinese owned company. Volvo was previously owned by Ford Motor Company of the USA.

Volvo will make future vehicles in China and in the USA in South Carolina, in addition to Sweden, having manufacturing on 3 continents.

Tesla will likely make future vehicles in China and The Netherlands in addition to in the USA in California, having manufacturing on 3 continents.

I will tell you one thing we should all be grateful for - software download so far is way smoother with Tesla (not a surprise). There was a major update to the XC's Sensus, bug fixes and Apple CarPlay, to be released this Monday. You have to go to the dealer to get it downloaded. Some dealers didn't even know about it, or what to do with it, and the few that downloaded to cars led to new bugs. Volvo ultimately told dealers to halt the downloads until further notice. Evidently, direct to owner downloads is coming in the future, but a lot of things seemingly need to be worked out before then...

I will tell you one thing we should all be grateful for - software download so far is way smoother with Tesla (not a surprise). There was a major update to the XC's Sensus, bug fixes and Apple CarPlay, to be released this Monday. You have to go to the dealer to get it downloaded. Some dealers didn't even know about it, or what to do with it, and the few that downloaded to cars led to new bugs. Volvo ultimately told dealers to halt the downloads until further notice. Evidently, direct to owner downloads is coming in the future, but a lot of things seemingly need to be worked out before then...

Supposedly OTA updates are part of this release. Volvo seems to be more than willing to imitate some of the innovations Tesla pioneered, more than I can say of other makers. OTA software and a big center touchscreen are just such superior choices when compared to dealer visits and crummy joysticks and knobs operating tiny screens.

I think every maker will go through growing pains while transitioning to a more software centric user experience. Volvo is definitely having problems with the xc90, but should get things in order 'soon'

You're right, @sg021!
4c08fd88eb3d7c14a4634ca844c87107.jpg