Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Volvo XC90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone is following this thread and I can't claim to have read it all, but today I test drove both Model X and a 2017 XC90 PHEV. Some take-aways in brief:

Both cars have autopilot. I don't have that on my S so I'm not used to it. They both behaved similarly, but...
  • at times the X was a little jumpy. If the car in front of me moved out of the way, the car hit the throttle and then had to quickly slow down when it caught up to another car. That didn't happen with the Volvo, but the exact same situation didn't happen either.
  • the X seemed a little less smooth to me as a driver than the Volvo, but my passenger noticed no difference, so it could be just me being new to it.
  • lane recognition seemed better in the X. The Volvo got confused when the markings got weird in a construction zone.
  • both cars are a bit too nervous and keep asking you to put your hands on the wheel a bit too frequently. The Volvo was worse here and did this really frequently, every 10-15 seconds (seemed like) while the X let it go for a minute or two at least. In both cars, it seemed you had to almost yank the wheel to let it know you were there, which kinda makes the feature lose its point IMHO.

The Volvo looks bigger and feels bigger, even though it isn't. By pure width and length definitions it's smaller, even smaller than the S (I had to look that up...). It looks so big and boxy so it tricks you. Driving it feels that way too, but the boxiness makes it clear where the corners are so you feel more confident.

The Volvo can go 17 miles with only electricity before the gas engine has to kick in. It has a number of different drive modes you can select (sport, eco, AWD, etc.). (If you're in this forum, you won't need a lesson on the X's stats in this category.)

My main purpose for looking is to have car that fits seven people. My 9-year old was test-pilot for the third-row seat. He liked the Volvo better. They call it "theatre seating" in the sense that the third row is actually higher than the second, so the passenger can still out and forward. In the X he got slightly claustrophobic with the dark windows and second row seat right up in his face. It didn't help that the interior was black, with light interior it would probably have been better.

Pack 7 people in the car, they had better travel light in the Volvo. Not much luggage space there unless you put the seats down... on the other hand, if you do it's cavernous. As an S owner, the X's cargo room didn't exactly blow me away either, but it had some decent cavities to fill with bags. Not sure where the bike or skis would go, but the third row seats fold and second row moved. (Does anyone know what the cu.ft. of the X cargo capacity is? I found the S on Tesla's web site but not the X.) Apparently there's a security thing about driving with second row seats moved up, but the sales person let me experiment and the car with bitch with a dialog, but it will still drive.

Both cars drove well. We've had a Model S for almost four years now, so the driving had few surprises in the X. The Volvo was smooth, even when switching around between EV and gas drive. Even the start-stop at a traffic light was much smoother than in other cars with that feature.

I'm in a position where I can consider either car, but not in a position where I can stop caring about money. The fully decked out Volvo ends up in the mid-$80k's, which would be a good $20-30k less than the X, which gives perspective. However, knowing Tesla, the supercharger and service network and all, it's still a hard choice...

Anyway... if anyone else here is in my boat and considering these two... my advice is to do what I did. Go drive both, preferably right after one another.

My 2 cents FWIW

Good information. I would have thought the Volvo was much roomier inside than the X too. I went to see one in the showroom (Insignia, all decked out) and it was close to six figures. Very nice inside with a lot of cool luxury appointments. The range of the electric motor almost seems like it's a complicated gimmick in this car's case. I have to think if pricing were exactly the same, the X wins on long term maintenance/over the air updates and fuel usage...Since both are under warranty for now it becomes a closer call

That is terrific you were able to get close to a simultaneous drive for both of these, and thank you for the review.

THIS line still has me scratching my head trying to figure out what you were trying to say, however:
... the sales person let me experiment and the car with bitch with a dialog, but it will still drive...

???????? !!!!!!!!! ????????

• Helpful
Reactions: Trnsl8r
(Does anyone know what the cu.ft. of the X cargo capacity is? I found the S on Tesla's web site but not the X

From Teslarati's 3 November article, here are the volumetric data you were desiring:

• Tesla Model X – 88.0 ft³
  • 2017 Volvo CX90 – 85.7 ft³
  • 2017 Audi Q7 – 71.6 ft³
  • 2017 BMW X5 – 66.0 ft³
  • 2017 Volkswagen Touareg – 64.0 ft³
  • 2017 Porsche Cayenne – 62.9 ft³

The X complains if the middle row seats are unlocked, but you can still drive it. I think that's what he's saying (the first with in the quote should probably be a will.)

I haven't driven a Volvo recently, but I'm surprised that your experience showed that the XC90 self driving was anywhere close to Tesla - I haven't seen any other reports or tests showing this.

Reactions: Trnsl8r
Not sure if anyone is following this thread and I can't claim to have read it all, but today I test drove both Model X and a 2017 XC90 PHEV. Some take-aways in brief:

Both cars have autopilot. I don't have that on my S so I'm not used to it. They both behaved similarly, but...
  • at times the X was a little jumpy. If the car in front of me moved out of the way, the car hit the throttle and then had to quickly slow down when it caught up to another car. That didn't happen with the Volvo, but the exact same situation didn't happen either.
  • the X seemed a little less smooth to me as a driver than the Volvo, but my passenger noticed no difference, so it could be just me being new to it.
  • lane recognition seemed better in the X. The Volvo got confused when the markings got weird in a construction zone.
  • both cars are a bit too nervous and keep asking you to put your hands on the wheel a bit too frequently. The Volvo was worse here and did this really frequently, every 10-15 seconds (seemed like) while the X let it go for a minute or two at least. In both cars, it seemed you had to almost yank the wheel to let it know you were there, which kinda makes the feature lose its point IMHO.

The Volvo looks bigger and feels bigger, even though it isn't. By pure width and length definitions it's smaller, even smaller than the S (I had to look that up...). It looks so big and boxy so it tricks you. Driving it feels that way too, but the boxiness makes it clear where the corners are so you feel more confident.

The Volvo can go 17 miles with only electricity before the gas engine has to kick in. It has a number of different drive modes you can select (sport, eco, AWD, etc.). (If you're in this forum, you won't need a lesson on the X's stats in this category.)

My main purpose for looking is to have car that fits seven people. My 9-year old was test-pilot for the third-row seat. He liked the Volvo better. They call it "theatre seating" in the sense that the third row is actually higher than the second, so the passenger can still out and forward. In the X he got slightly claustrophobic with the dark windows and second row seat right up in his face. It didn't help that the interior was black, with light interior it would probably have been better.

Pack 7 people in the car, they had better travel light in the Volvo. Not much luggage space there unless you put the seats down... on the other hand, if you do it's cavernous. As an S owner, the X's cargo room didn't exactly blow me away either, but it had some decent cavities to fill with bags. Not sure where the bike or skis would go, but the third row seats fold and second row moved. (Does anyone know what the cu.ft. of the X cargo capacity is? I found the S on Tesla's web site but not the X.) Apparently there's a security thing about driving with second row seats moved up, but the sales person let me experiment and the car with bitch with a dialog, but it will still drive.

Both cars drove well. We've had a Model S for almost four years now, so the driving had few surprises in the X. The Volvo was smooth, even when switching around between EV and gas drive. Even the start-stop at a traffic light was much smoother than in other cars with that feature.

I'm in a position where I can consider either car, but not in a position where I can stop caring about money. The fully decked out Volvo ends up in the mid-$80k's, which would be a good $20-30k less than the X, which gives perspective. However, knowing Tesla, the supercharger and service network and all, it's still a hard choice...

Anyway... if anyone else here is in my boat and considering these two... my advice is to do what I did. Go drive both, preferably right after one another.

My 2 cents FWIW
Out of curiosity, do you need 7 seats? If you do, why not look at a bigger SUV? The XC90 3rd row is definitely less enclosing, but do you think that your 9 year old is going to want to be back there a year from now?

(full disclosure: we've ordered a 6 seat X, after having had an XC90 and then an MDX. Family of 5. I test drove the new xc90 but didn't use its self-driving stuff. To me the Volvo feels like driving an SUV. The Tesla feels like piloting a spaceship. :) I imagine anyway.)

That is terrific you were able to get close to a simultaneous drive for both of these, and thank you for the review.

THIS line still has me scratching my head trying to figure out what you were trying to say, however:

???????? !!!!!!!!! ????????
Ga, proofread fail. Should read more like:

"Apparently there's a security thing about driving with second row seats moved up, but the sales person let me experiment with it. Even though the car bitched about the seats being in the "wrong" setting in a dialog, you could dismiss the dialog and still drive. Useful if you're helping someone move or if the third-row passengers are claustrophobic."

Thanks for pointing it out. I'm not allowed to edit my original post any more though.

The X complains if the middle row seats are unlocked, but you can still drive it. I think that's what he's saying (the first with in the quote should probably be a will.)

You read my mind...

I haven't driven a Volvo recently, but I'm surprised that your experience showed that the XC90 self driving was anywhere close to Tesla - I haven't seen any other reports or tests showing this.

Well, I had both on the highway for about 10 minutes each, so take it at face value... However, as I'm not used to autopilot at all, I thought it would serve as a fresh, reasonably untainted perspective. When I had the Volvo on the highway, its only drawbacks were the constant pinging about jiggling the steering wheel and once it lost track of the lane markings because of construction (and to be fair, it was almost to the point where I didn't see which ones were which).

Reactions: acarlos1000
Out of curiosity, do you need 7 seats? If you do, why not look at a bigger SUV? The XC90 3rd row is definitely less enclosing, but do you think that your 9 year old is going to want to be back there a year from now?

(full disclosure: we've ordered a 6 seat X, after having had an XC90 and then an MDX. Family of 5. I test drove the new xc90 but didn't use its self-driving stuff. To me the Volvo feels like driving an SUV. The Tesla feels like piloting a spaceship. :) I imagine anyway.)

Well, the idea was to get a car that could seat 7 adults, so I would hope the 9-year old would be able to sit there for some time. We have the Model S with trunk seats and he's definitely too big for that, so that's what brought this on.
But no, we don't need 7 seats every day - it's more for versatility when we have out-of-state guests, which seems to be happening quite often. So I guess I could say that the comfort level in the third row is negotiable, but its existence is not.
I've noticed that there are some good deals to be had on inventory 6-seaters, but after pondering it back and forth, we decided to go big or go home. Seven seats is the goal (even though it seems incredibly stupid that you can only adjust it from the main touch screen... what?! - putting a button on the front of the seat is that hard?).

Good information. I would have thought the Volvo was much roomier inside than the X too. I went to see one in the showroom (Insignia, all decked out) and it was close to six figures. Very nice inside with a lot of cool luxury appointments. The range of the electric motor almost seems like it's a complicated gimmick in this car's case. I have to think if pricing were exactly the same, the X wins on long term maintenance/over the air updates and fuel usage...Since both are under warranty for now it becomes a closer call

Well, I drive about 10 miles to work and have charging at work, so if I charged diligently both at work and at home, I could go completely EV with it... in theory.

And yeah, if pricing was the same it wouldn't have been a contest, but the one I looked at, "Inscription", was listed at $87k and a similar X would be more like $115k, so there's that.

Yeah, that's the $100k question right now... I think the brain says Volvo and the heart says Tesla.

(The upside on Volvo is that a factory pickup would be a lot more exciting, I think you would agree. :)
I do of course understand that there are personal upsides to traveling to Sweden. You are Swedish as well, aren’t you?

But my brain (as well as my heart) says Tesla.

Giving ~$100k to Tesla for a Model X is IMO money a lot better spent than giving it to Volvo Cars fo a XC90 hybrid. Mainly because of environmental reasons. And here I especially think your nine year old co-pilot as well as your other children (?) will agree.

Another reason why I would not like to give money to Volvo Cars is that it surreally enough and very, very unfortunately is de facto owned by the very, very undemocratic Chinese regime. So all the money Volvo Cars make…

Full disclosure: I don’t have ~$100K to spend on a Tesla. And if I had, it would go towards a Model S. And in Sweden it would probably have to be a little more still. Currently I drive pre-owned – the methane propelled version of the VW Passat Station wagon. I do have a Model 3 reservation though, so thanks to you for being a Model S customer and (hopefully) enabling me to soon spend ~400K SEK on a Model 3 with leather, upgraded sound, four wheel drive, the big battery and Aero Wheels.

Last edited:
Ok, not sure you are comparing apples with apples. I like Volvo's used to work for them have owned them and have been to the factory in Gothenburg. Comparing a Tesla with a Volvo does not work for me, I will not go into the differences because you know them. Plus I'm a bit biased based on the fact I own 2 Tesla's, do you want a hybrid or a BEV.

Deduct the tax credit, add the gas savings and lower maintenance cost and there's not much "that" left

OK, I'll play... Let's do some rough math.

Tesla:
$115,000
-$7500 tax credit
= $107,500

Volvo:
$87,000 price
-$4500 tax credit (roughly, don't recall the exact number and too lazy to look it up)
= $82,500

Driving 15,000 miles per year, at 35mpg (official number was 54, but sales person said 35). Gas is a bit under $3/gallon where I live but lets round up. So: 15,000/35*3 = $1286. So potential savings of $1286 per year assuming all electricity is free, which it's not. So, there is a bit of a margin still, unless I missed something.

EDIT: Don't really want to put too much weight on this though. I gave up on rational financial arguments back when I bought the Model S. Sometimes you just take the option that is the best and the coolest and the greatest, even though it burns your wallet and I'm totally cool with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ModelX
I do of course understand that there are personal upsides to traveling to Sweden. You are Swedish as well, aren’t you?

Japp. ;-)

But my brain (as well as my heart) says Tesla.

Giving ~$100k to Tesla for a Model X is IMO money a lot better spent than giving it to Volvo Cars fo a XC90 hybrid. Mainly because of environmental reasons. And here I especially think your nine year old co-pilot as well as your other children (?) will agree.

Oh, the 9-year old co-pilot didn't stay in the Volvo camp very long, he's all in team X now, bravely offering to forego his comfort...

Another reason why I would not like to give money to Volvo Cars is that it surreally enough and very, very unfortunately is de facto owned by the very, very undemocratic Chinese regime. So all the money Volvo Cars make…

Full disclosure: I don’t have ~$100K to spend on a Tesla. And if I had, it would go towards a Model S. And in Sweden it would probably have to be a little more still. Currently I drive pre-owned – the methane propelled version of the VW Passat Station wagon. I do have a Model 3 reservation though, so thanks to you for being a Model S customer and (hopefully) enabling me to soon spend ~400K SEK on a Model 3 with leather, upgraded sound, four wheel drive, the big battery and Aero Wheels.

It's been my pleasure. :)

Ok, not sure you are comparing apples with apples. I like Volvo's used to work for them have owned them and have been to the factory in Gothenburg. Comparing a Tesla with a Volvo does not work for me, I will not go into the differences because you know them. Plus I'm a bit biased based on the fact I own 2 Tesla's, do you want a hybrid or a BEV.

Don't get me wrong, I want the pure EV. I have vowed to never get a fossil fuel car again. But comparing the aspects of the two cars was like watching election results when you really want your candidate to win, but almost every report that comes in pushes the results in the opposite direction...

Jury's still out.