Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X windshield sun glare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you are really bothered by the sun I would try the sun shade first. On our Model S Pano roofs the Sun Shade is all that is needed.

In my case I could not wait for the sun shade. My wife does not care one bit about the upper view being diminished but really likes the darker tint on the sides and top. This works perfectly for us and our needs.

Here are are a few photos. I might add it is very difficult to photograph tint. The light settings change significantly if you photograph thru tint or through glass. Here is my attempt. Some thru tint and some thru clear.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Would you please post some pictures from inside of the car when you get it back? I drove X today and found the sun to be very bright and annoying... so I am thinking about using some very dark tint on the top part of the windshield, as well as additional tint on the upper parts of FWD.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to be slow posting photos. I have been living up to my online name since I took these photos last week and finally found a quiet moment to try to pick out a few that worked. It is really hard to get a good photo of tint.

• Informative
Reactions: Drivin
Sort of related to windshield glare...I'm wondering about back window. It is tinted, but when I look through the rear view mirror in broad daylight, outside appears really dark, as if the rear view mirror had darkened like it does for headlights at night. Roamer, in your picture it looks like the view out the rear is fairly bright. Or have you noticed the same thing? I've got the six seater so there is no obstruction, just dark--dark enough it's hard to use.

Sort of related to windshield glare...I'm wondering about back window. It is tinted, but when I look through the rear view mirror in broad daylight, outside appears really dark, as if the rear view mirror had darkened like it does for headlights at night. Roamer, in your picture it looks like the view out the rear is fairly bright. Or have you noticed the same thing? I've got the six seater so there is no obstruction, just dark--dark enough it's hard to use.

We drive our Model S cars with the shade screens in the rear window. So maybe I am just used to a tinted or shaded back window. I have not noticed it to be a problem. Living in Arizona we tend to tint everything as dark as the laws allow. It always seems a little strange to me when I rent cars with no tint.

I have a six seat X also but years of driving vehicles with no center rear visibility has conditioned me to seldom use the center rear view mirror. I do like the backup camera and often drive with it on if I am interested in what's behind me. Now it drives me nuts when I drive rental cars with no decent rear camera.

Window tint would defeat the Big Sky windshield for me. Might as well enjoy Model S instead.

Using a visor cap or headband visor has worked well. The Tesla visors work nicely when the sun is in their path.

I wouldn't want to take away from the magnificent view that has enough tint for most drivers and passengers. When the sun is behind you, the view is fantastic.

Perhaps someday my suggestion for "Auto Eclipse" will be engineered into the windshield. Two user sizable blackout dots that move across the windshield depending on angle, direction and tilt of the vehicle. The clear/tint electronic pixel windshield would eclipse the sun for driver and passenger. No more visors, just enjoyable driving.

Window tint would defeat the Big Sky windshield for me. Might as well enjoy Model S instead.

Using a visor cap or headband visor has worked well. The Tesla visors work nicely when the sun is in their path.

I wouldn't want to take away from the magnificent view that has enough tint for most drivers and passengers. When the sun is behind you, the view is fantastic.

Perhaps someday my suggestion for "Auto Eclipse" will be engineered into the windshield. Two user sizable blackout dots that move across the windshield depending on angle, direction and tilt of the vehicle. The clear/tint electronic pixel windshield would eclipse the sun for driver and passenger. No more visors, just enjoyable driving.

I love that idea!

Unless you are really bothered by the sun I would try the sun shade first. On our Model S Pano roofs the Sun Shade is all that is needed.

In my case I could not wait for the sun shade. My wife does not care one bit about the upper view being diminished but really likes the darker tint on the sides and top. This works perfectly for us and our needs.

Here are are a few photos. I might add it is very difficult to photograph tint. The light settings change significantly if you photograph thru tint or through glass. Here is my attempt. Some thru tint and some thru clear.
View attachment 112125

View attachment 112126

View attachment 112127

View attachment 112128

View attachment 112129

- - - Updated - - -

Would you please post some pictures from inside of the car when you get it back? I drove X today and found the sun to be very bright and annoying... so I am thinking about using some very dark tint on the top part of the windshield, as well as additional tint on the upper parts of FWD.

Sorry to be slow posting photos. I have been living up to my online name since I took these photos last week and finally found a quiet moment to try to pick out a few that worked. It is really hard to get a good photo of tint.[/QUOTE]
Did you remove the rear view mirror and attached vertical piece in order to tint, or did you tint around them?

The only time the sun is bothersome in our X so far is when it's slightly above the visor (when flipped up). But a solution is to just not click the visor in place and leave it higher/closer to you for that minute the sun is in your view. When the sun is just a bit higher on the windshield I hardly notice it due to the tinting.

Sorry to be slow posting photos. I have been living up to my online name since I took these photos last week and finally found a quiet moment to try to pick out a few that worked. It is really hard to get a good photo of tint.
Did you remove the rear view mirror and attached vertical piece in order to tint, or did you tint around them?[/QUOTE]

We did not remove the mirror or cable track. The tint shop made a pattern that trimmed around them. Looks fine and works great.