Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X windshield sun glare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want a quality sunshade that matches the alcantara not any piece of cloth on my six figure car.

I wouldn't be surprised if I saw tesla sun screen

You may be let down. This is what the sunshade will be. A spring frame shade screen that snaps into the space between the glass and the headliner. From your post I think you are anticipating something more. Pretty sure when a screen is available it will look and function just like the existing Model S Pano shades.

Tesla Model S Panoramic Roof Sunshades

The windshield glare isn't as annoying as I thought it would be. On the other hand, there is a 2 inch wide gap between the sun visor and either the side A pillar or the rear view mirror. When the sun is very low, that can get quite annoying.

I never thought I'd be wearing a cap or hat during a drive. It is a very handy way to eliminate the sun glare without using the visors.

The other day I tried the standard Model X visor at the 2:00 position. I disliked the black alcantara diagonal mass across the glass. Wearing the Tesla cap was a quick and easy solution. I look forward to using a lighter weight open band version. Halo Sport Visor: Head Sweat Visor for Running, Tennis, Golf More

For those who dislike the curve of the Tesla cap, here is a link to some flatter visor caps: OTTO Cap - Wholesale Blank Hats Caps - Flat Visors / Fitted Caps - New Styles

And this 032 Khaki color would look good with the tan leather seats: OTTO Cap - Wholesale blank hats and caps - Otto Flex Washed Pigment Dyed Cotton Twill Sun Visors

Last edited:
I never thought I'd be wearing a cap or hat during a drive. It is a very handy way to eliminate the sun glare without using the visors.

If the sun is overly intense, might I suggest following in the footsteps of Alex Torres? The bonus is added rollover protection.

CAPSsilo-articleLarge.jpg

Reactions: DelPhonic1
What are your thoughts on the windshield after long-term driving.

I have never liked wearing sunglasses and have not had any problem with too much light. There are times and situations where the glare problem is a little more complicated to deal with than a standard windshield design. The few inches above the visor, when the visor is in the upper most position, can be a little intense when driving directly into the sun during mid morning and mid afternoon. Moving the visor away from the mirror magnetic attachment allows it to be moved across the upper glass and into a position to block direct sun.

Now after saying all that today the side windows were tinted to 35%. That's the Arizona max legal. I also had tint installed over the entire roof glass down to the visors when flipped into the up position. I did not tint the actual windshield because after years of experimentation I have yet to find a windshield tint that does not create light halos when installed on highly sloped EV windshields. My wife who is destined to be the primary driver of this car is constantly moving suction cup shades to block the sun no matter what direction the sun is coming from. I wont be able to test out the tint job until the rest of the detail work is finished. From the outside the tint line is not visable and from the inside it is a little better shaded now.

My wife has been driving a Model S in the Arizona sun with a Pano for the last three years with Tesla sunscreens in both pano glass areas and the rear hatch. She has been perfectly happy with that set up and has never complained about the sun.

Bottom line for our situation, if the shade screen was available today it would be snapped in and my wife would be fine with the car. Since the shade is currently not available I decided to tint darker and keep the person who will be driving the car happy. That will also make my life happy.

I have never liked wearing sunglasses and have not had any problem with too much light. There are times and situations where the glare problem is a little more complicated to deal with than a standard windshield design. The few inches above the visor, when the visor is in the upper most position, can be a little intense when driving directly into the sun during mid morning and mid afternoon. Moving the visor away from the mirror magnetic attachment allows it to be moved across the upper glass and into a position to block direct sun.
Whats not to like about wearing a good fitting pair of shades? They're cool and useful... oh and did I mention that they look cool? :cool:

How dark did you tint the top of the panoramic windshield? I am surprised you were able to find someone that was able to do it.

Robbie Williams at Protective Film Solutions, located in Scottsdale AZ, installed the tint. They also installed X-pel on the hood, bumper, headlights and rear view mirrors. This was their first Model X tint project so they had to create a pattern for the upper windshield. They can share the pattern with other Protective Film Solution shops. It took two attempts to get a perfect pattern.

This group also did my P85D last year. I like the work they do.

They installed 3M color stable 20 on the upper windshield area. They indicated it worked great when they drove the car back to the detailer this morning.

I won't get the car back from Rolling Art Motorsports until late tomorrow or Monday. They are doing the exterior and interior protection. The car auction madness in Arizona books everyone to the max so I delayed this work until the auction season was over.

I have to give a shout out to the Scottsdale Service Center. After I dropped off the car at the detailers/tint I stopped by the Service Center to give them my punch list of minor items that needed to be addressed. The only moderately irritating item was that the steering wheel decided a few days ago not to lower. It goes up and in and out but not down. They not only went to the tint shop to check out my list they also used it as an opportunity to give the tint crew a complete orientation on how the Model X works. I appreciate that they took the time to not only go where the car was but also provided the tint business some orientation. If things work out I will have the detail people deliver the car to the SC when they are done and I will have three different things all done on one trip.

Then I will get to try out the latest software release. Anticipation......

- - - Updated - - -

Whats not to like about wearing a good fitting pair of shades? They're cool and useful... oh and did I mention that they look cool? :cool:

My wife and daughters will be the first to tell you I am an insult to the concept of cool. I gave up on sunglasses because I was constantly taking them off to see things better then I would forget them and lose them. I like to keep it simple and even though I live in Arizona and should wear sunglasses I just like having one less thing to lose or misplace.

I have the same problem with coats. Since we never need them in Arizona I have been known to leave and lose them when I travel to the cold frozen north lands. And that can end up being a problem.

I gave up on sunglasses because I was constantly taking them off to see things better then I would forget them and lose them.

I am also an unintentional and anonymous patron of expensive sunglasses. As life has gone on, I've just started to leave them in the car, and only in the car. I take them off to walk outside in the bright sunlight, but at least when I get back to the car, I have them. If I do realize I've taken them into the restaurant with me, I'll either give them to my wife for her purse, or go back out to the car and return them immediately. This has cut down on my sunglass budget tremendously.

• Love
I am also an unintentional and anonymous patron of expensive sunglasses. As life has gone on, I've just started to leave them in the car, and only in the car. I take them off to walk outside in the bright sunlight, but at least when I get back to the car, I have them. If I do realize I've taken them into the restaurant with me, I'll either give them to my wife for her purse, or go back out to the car and return them immediately. This has cut down on my sunglass budget tremendously.

I have two pairs. My very nice and expensive pair that stays in the car for driving. They are pristine. My second pair is less expensive and what I put on as I leave the car. Like you, if I notice that I've accidentally walked away with my driving pair, I return immediately to the car, or if that is not possible, I won't take them off. This has saved me hundreds if not more at this point, and I can drive with scratch free vision.

Two pair, one in each vehicle. A great solution that I have enjoyed ever since the last loss years ago. The sunglasses are hidden nicely in the cubby under the touchscreen.

My Oakley M Frame® was left on a lakeside outdoor dining table at Redrock Canyon Grill in OKC while walking to the car. The location is ideal for sunset dining, so it easy to forget the sunglasses. I ran back and it was were gone. No losses since that experience.

Last edited:
They stay on my person except when eating and in today's smartphone-centric world I have good "scan the table as you leave" habits that prevent that form of sunglass loss. There are far more expensive things that I might forget when I'm done dining. ;)

I thought I would need to wear sunglasses frequently in the Model X, but after 4000 miles I'm finding that leaving the visor floating free (instead of magnetically latching it to the mirror assembly) allows me to block the sun 90% of the time. It works especially well when swinging the free end out close to the right-hand side of my face.

[They installed 3M color stable 20 on the upper windshield area. They indicated it worked great when they drove the car back to the detailer this morning. [/QUOTE]

Would you please post some pictures from inside of the car when you get it back? I drove X today and found the sun to be very bright and annoying... so I am thinking about using some very dark tint on the top part of the windshield, as well as additional tint on the upper parts of FWD.

Would you please post some pictures from inside of the car when you get it back? I drove X today and found the sun to be very bright and annoying... so I am thinking about using some very dark tint on the top part of the windshield, as well as additional tint on the upper parts of FWD.

+1 I would like to see some photos as well (but a sunshade is available now: Sun Shade for Model X)