Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X wipers in winter....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vawlkus

Feb 28, 2017
Halifax
So yeah..... this happened last year.
6459A337-FE82-46B5-ABDE-D69A4C775775.jpeg

And then this happens this morning.
032B0447-7764-4D6E-907D-23A1D76E96BE.jpeg

This is after about an hour of heating plus two cycles of the wiper alley heater. I’m honestly at a loss as to how to keep the wipers from freezing to the windshield inside wiper alley where they can’t be cleaned/freed from icing up.

Ideas or suggestions? I had the bright idea to grab an extra set of wipers when I had my servicing back in June, so I’m ok for the time being.

Put the wipers in service mode before leaving the car. Like that, when you will preheat the car, that will free up the wipers from the ice (and it is also easier to clean them up manually).

Is not the "official" recommendation is to leave wipers in their "normal" position so that the wiper heater can warm them?
Otherwise what is the point of having this wiper heater?

This is my first winter with my X, so I don't have my own experience yet with what is better/useful...

Ok, I did not know you have wiper heaters on the X. Apparently they are not really effective... Are they heating elements like on the Subaru?

I have just read that it is the way to do for the model 3 as they seem to not receive any heat from warming up the car.
The X does have them, but they’re next to useless.

I am doing the service mode trick for the time being, HOWEVER, overnight the wipers might have reset. I’m going to keep an eye on it.