Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X with no Middle Row of Seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish Tesla would offer a Model X with no middle row of seats. It would only have a front row and a back row that folds flat into the floor.
That way you could have the option to transport four people in great comfort or fold the seats down and have a huge flat cargo area.
99% of the time I am either riding alone in my car or with one other person, so two seats are enough, but if not I just flip up that back row.

Great for Triathletes or Active Individuals with Sporting Gear to Haul!

As a triathlete I would really look forward to bolting a couple small quick release holders for the front wheel of a bicycle in the floor where the second row normally goes. Using the huge Cargo Doors (AKA Falcon Wing Doors) to conveniently load bikes. That huge flat cargo area would be great for hauling stuff around within the much higher security interior of the car. Frequently after a training bike ride or race I go to a restaurant and have dinner. To me the thought of leaving $5k to $10k of triathlon bikes outside the car on a hitch rack, while I go inside and eat, does not sound like a good idea.

The next VW Camper Van? Made by Tesla
Can you imagine sleeping in that huge flat area in the back? Tesla could make this their version of the VW camper with their own camping accessories for the back. For bigger families, the falcon wing doors could be the roof area for two separate double walled semi insulated tents that form small bedrooms, dropping down when the doors open. You could have the option for one side to be a bedroom and the other door could have an awning for setting up a small outdoor patio or perhaps a kitchen... The tent or awning would be custom made by Tesla to pop down perfectly when the doors go up. Model X supplying the heating and cooling for a great nights sleep in the outdoors.

Tesla Pickup Truck
Taking out the middle row would be like Tesla's version of a pickup truck, a decade before they actually come out with one. Something that can haul that much stuff, comfortable fit four people, and tow a trailer! An incredible accelerating, quick handling, hauler...

Just get rid of that middle row giving you a fully flat floor to work with.

You have 50 inches of flat cargo area behind the middle row. If you slide the middle row full forward you have 60 inches but there's a drop off of 15-24 inches (haven't measured it) from the back of the 3rd row to the floor for the last foot or so. With the 6 seat option you get a nice 15-18" gap between the middle seats that allows for stuff 80+" long to slide up to the back of the center console. With the angle from floor up to the rear seat/shelf area you can probably handle something considerably longer.

With the rear row folded down what prevents anything stored in the trunk from falling off the "ledge" up near the middle row of seats. Is there a net or something supplied?

With the middle row all the way back the backs of the middle row would serve that purpose, with the middle row forward, nothing unless what you have is long and weighted such that the majority of it's weight holds it up, or you have stuff in the gap so there's nowhere for stuff to fall. In short, it's all in what you load and how.

Oops! I thought the back row folded flat and the middle row leaned forward. Is there any flat cargo area in an X?

It seems like the only good photos I can find of the back are from the prototype, which apparently is nothing like the production.

The back row folds flat, and the rear cargo cover apparently has an option to be placed at the height of the folded rear seat back, giving a single flat load floor all the way to the front of the rear seat.

The point pvogel was making is that the folded position of the third row seats isn't anywhere close to the level of the second row floor. Here's a picture from another thread here that shows the middle row tillted all the way forward, the flat floor, and the third row folded on the far side:

12573189_10153498764649983_7220005919266015349_n.jpg

So what you're proposing is certainly possible, but you won't have a single flat floor unless you get an elevated platform for the middle space.
Walter