Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Withdrawal!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not wanting to get all judgy on here (people who judge others on online forums are the WORST! ...lol just kidding I was joke judging just then)

Also, I'd especially not judge pvogel, who, along with Ohmman are tied for the top 2 members on this forum IMHO. I always find their posts to be classy, informative and most importantly I get the impression that they consistently treat their discussions here on an anonymous forum with the same level of humanity that they would treat someone face to face.

That said, I always thought the question of tint wasn't about you being able to see *out* well enough, but rather, the ability for people (police in particular) to see in. And that is IMHO something that does kind of affect all our safety.

I usually think of tint this way. Picture you have a box with a perfectly clear lid. There's an object inside. It's an over simplification (because there's always some absorption) but you can kind of say that for every 1 unit of light that enters that box, 1 unit of light will be reflected back out of that box.

Now, if you tint that glass lid at 70%, you'll lose 30% of the light on the way in, and then 30% of that remaining light reflected back out. 0.7 X 0.7 = 0.49. In other words, it will be about twice as hard to see inside that box when tinted at 70% (note, there's no light source inside the box)

By tinting the lid at 50%, now only 25% of the light that goes into the box can make it out. So you've made the object twice as hard again to see.

The way I see it (pun intended) that's what you're doing by over tinting your windows. You're making it twice as hard (sort of) as the legal limit, for an officer to see who you are. During the day that's probably not a big deal. But picture it's night time, and you're a police officer who pulled over your car, and you're approaching the driver window.

I mean, like I said, not trying to get judgy. Don't want to blow it out of proportion. But that's my thought process. I haven't experimented with different tint levels and I don't know if 50% tint is still totally fine at night. There are also many other factors like how a car isn't a simple box. There's a clear windshield, but there's also possibly limo tint on the rear windows...

I recently almost bought a used MS, and asked the owner if he had trouble due to his tint and lack of front license plate. He told me that tesla owners benefit from the "good kind of profiling". That in general, he felt like the police wouldn't bug him as much as they would some other types of cars with the same infractions.

I'll be honest - I don't love that notion. I'm not all high and mighty about it. But it rubs me the wrong way. I don't know if it's even true, but I don't like it...

Actually, 5 days ago I bought a used MS (not the same one as above), so I'm now a newbie tesla owner. The previous owner had the windows tinted. I don't know what % tint they are. Maybe I'm hypocritical, but while I don't think I would buy illegal tint, I'll probably just tell myself that what I have installed is legit (I'd also rather not pay to remove and re-add tint). However, my car does not have a front license plate and I intend to correct that even though it looks worse. I'd rather follow that rule for the sake of following it.

Reactions: MarkoC
Well, our X is going back into service tomorrow, so I'll be dealing with withdrawal as well. Driver side falcon wing door is in a bad state - closed but the car thinks it's open. It's completely unresponsive now. I was at the Service Center today and they tried a few things like popping it from the speaker grille, resetting fuse, etc., but no dice. I'll drop it off tomorrow and hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it... without too much delay.

Well, our X is going back into service tomorrow, so I'll be dealing with withdrawal as well. Driver side falcon wing door is in a bad state - closed but the car thinks it's open. It's completely unresponsive now. I was at the Service Center today and they tried a few things like popping it from the speaker grille, resetting fuse, etc., but no dice. I'll drop it off tomorrow and hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it... without too much delay.

That must be disappointing since you delayed your X hoping for better build quality which cost you the $2,500 state rebate. I think they built your X but simply delayed delivery as you requested. What was your build date? Also, what was your VIN again?

At this point based on my commute and schedule a poor build quality X won't be feasible. Also, please ask them about the sunshade tomorrow :)

If the police have time to stop me for trivialities like the darkness of my side window tint they are welcome to it and I will pay the fine.
How is this not a privileged statement? Most people don't have the option to decide what laws they can and cannot follow. To just flippantly say that it's not a big deal and you'll just pay the fine if you get caught is the very incarnation of privilege.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
That must be disappointing since you delayed your X hoping for better build quality which cost you the $2,500 state rebate. I think they built your X but simply delayed delivery as you requested. What was your build date? Also, what was your VIN again?

You ask a lot of questions, K. Many of them relate to sunshades and VINs.

So as far as the delivery date goes, yes - I'm a bit disappointed they still rushed me in. I basically got a quarter end car that wasn't delivered at quarter end. The $2500 rebate didn't factor into it - I am supportive of the new rules, and as such had already decided that no matter when I took delivery I wouldn't apply for the rebate. That's a fixed pool, and I am hopeful it goes to someone else who is on the fence about a purchase. I was buying the X regardless.

My Service Center is great. They'll make the door right - they guaranteed me they're holding a Model S loaner for me, knowing I hate to drive an ICE - and all will be well. I'll miss the car for a couple of days (probably over the weekend, unfortunately). In the end, I'll have a vehicle that's been looked over by a good staff. Thankfully I don't have your commute constraints. My schedule is flexible, and I'm pretty laid back knowing that I have one of the first few thousand of a very unique vehicle.

For me, the most trying part is the deep breathing revolving around the fact that my issues are focused on doors that I haven't been enthusiastic about from the start.. but I'm still hoping my mind gets changed eventually.

Reactions: K-MTG
You ask a lot of questions, K. Many of them relate to sunshades and VINs.

Hopefully when I get my X I can start answering questions instead :)

So as far as the delivery date goes, yes - I'm a bit disappointed they still rushed me in. I basically got a quarter end car that wasn't delivered at quarter end. The $2500 rebate didn't factor into it - I am supportive of the new rules, and as such had already decided that no matter when I took delivery I wouldn't apply for the rebate. That's a fixed pool, and I am hopeful it goes to someone else who is on the fence about a purchase. I was buying the X regardless.

That is very nice of you!

My Service Center is great. They'll make the door right - they guaranteed me they're holding a Model S loaner for me, knowing I hate to drive an ICE - and all will be well. I'll miss the car for a couple of days (probably over the weekend, unfortunately). In the end, I'll have a vehicle that's been looked over by a good staff. Thankfully I don't have your commute constraints. My schedule is flexible, and I'm pretty laid back knowing that I have one of the first few thousand of a very unique vehicle.

I have a similar motive (primary reason I upgraded to the 90D), I see a bunch of S's roaming around throughout the day but the X is rare (for now) and special.

For me, the most trying part is the deep breathing revolving around the fact that my issues are focused on doors that I haven't been enthusiastic about from the start.. but I'm still hoping my mind gets changed eventually.

Good luck, I hope this will be your last visit to the service center (excluding annual inspections). Speaking of annual inspections, did you get any detail about purchasing service plans?

Sorry for asking more questions...bad habit

Sorry for asking more questions...bad habit
Well, now you've made me feel bad. I was merely joking.

As a kid, I had a plaque with an image of Einstein on it, and his quote: "The most important thing is not to stop questioning." My mom gave me that plaque because asking questions is all I ever did. It sat on my dresser the whole of my childhood and teenage years.

I was really just trying to poke gentle and friendly fun at you for your very focused questioning.. so hopefully you'll accept my apology.

Well, now you've made me feel bad. I was merely joking.

As a kid, I had a plaque with an image of Einstein on it, and his quote: "The most important thing is not to stop questioning." My mom gave me that plaque because asking questions is all I ever did. It sat on my dresser the whole of my childhood and teenage years.

I was really just trying to poke gentle and friendly fun at you for your very focused questioning.. so hopefully you'll accept my apology.

No worries at all, you have become a close friend on the forum :) I was not offended at all.

Being in my early 20's I still have a lot to learn, thus I continue to ask questions (lots of questions). The sales rep at the Tesla Store gave me a hard time, assuming I was a teenager, the rep ignored and gave no interest when I inquired about the paint options until I told him I ordered a Model X.