Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model Y 19" vs 20" Decision Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd probably look to replace the OEM tire with an all-climate tire once they wore out. Not really one that has a problem with curb rash but I do worry about the potholes. The tires on my Subaru Legacy were "lower profile" tires and were 205/50-17's and they popped on a nasty pothole... the Y 19's are 255/45-19's and the 20's are 255/40-20's, so they're even "thinner" of a sidewall...

FWIW, the Model 3 LR AWD is 235/45-18, 235/40-19, or 235/35-20.

The tires on my Subaru Legacy were "lower profile" tires and were 205/50-17's and they popped on a nasty pothole... the Y 19's are 255/45-19's and the 20's are 255/40-20's, so they're even "thinner" of a sidewall...

Your Subaru had 4” sidewall, same as the 20” wheels on the Y. But it had a whopping 3” smaller diameter, so the comfort would be a lot less and pothole damage would be a lot higher.

Your Subaru had 4” sidewall, same as the 20” wheels on the Y. But it had a whopping 3” smaller diameter, so the comfort would be a lot less and pothole damage would be a lot higher.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I definitely noticed the different diameter, but I wasn't exactly sure how that pertained to it.

I'm basically mostly interested in ride comfort and damage resistance, with a minor emphasis on cosmetics. I would also much prefer the Gemini in a matte black finish, but I can't buy what's not available.

The articles I saw typically mention that a larger diameter tire has better performance as there's more of an immediate effect from the rim or wheel itself to the tire rubber and thus the road.

In your opinion, what would you think the typical tire resistance would be for the 20's compared to the 19's for pothole damage? Are we talking like an increase of around 1 out of 10 would result in damage, or are we talking more like 5 out of 10? That's a big difference.

Also, assuming the worst and the inductions got some curb rash, is there any way to fix this DIY instead of having to buy a new rim or send it off to get refinished?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I definitely noticed the different diameter, but I wasn't exactly sure how that pertained to it.

I'm basically mostly interested in ride comfort and damage resistance, with a minor emphasis on cosmetics. I would also much prefer the Gemini in a matte black finish, but I can't buy what's not available.

The articles I saw typically mention that a larger diameter tire has better performance as there's more of an immediate effect from the rim or wheel itself to the tire rubber and thus the road.

In your opinion, what would you think the typical tire resistance would be for the 20's compared to the 19's for pothole damage? Are we talking like an increase of around 1 out of 10 would result in damage, or are we talking more like 5 out of 10? That's a big difference.

Also, assuming the worst and the inductions got some curb rash, is there any way to fix this DIY instead of having to buy a new rim or send it off to get refinished?

You can paint the Gemini covers satin black, but there's that silver rim showing through underneath. You can also powdercoat the gemini rims satin black, but that'll run probably $300 and you'll be without your wheels for a few days.

I can't really say how much your risk increases. My gut says far less than 1/10 over the Gemini. I've looked around the internet and a lot of people say 4" of sidewall is plenty. Though the Tesla is a heavier car. Really though it's the weight of the wheel that'll make a lot of the difference. They're pretty much exactly the same weight so that's a push.

Wheel + Tire Weight (not including TPMS and air)
Gemini: 29.60lbs wheel + 28.30lbs tire = 56.90lbs (unclear if this includes the covers)
Induction: 31.55lbs wheel + 25.26 tire = 56.81.lbs

As for curb rash, the Inductions will definitely be more susceptible. But there's a great post on the Model Y FB forum showing how well it can be fixed (without removing the wheel from the car even). I googled and it looks like price to fix one wheel's curb rash is around $75. Bigger damage from pothole will cost more of course (for either tire).

The repair they did is absolutely stunning (did it for free because she was getting some PPF done). She confirmed they didn't take the tire off or even jack the car up, and the spot they fixed looks literally brand new. That eased a LOT of curb-rash anxiety for me.

Facebook Groups

Model Y - Inductions - Curb Rash Repair.png

For me, my vanity won out and I'm quite happy with my choice so far!

Brilliant, thanks.

The last thing I'm considering is an all-climate tire, in other words, a 3-season (all season) tire that has the severe service mountain icon. I've used these the last couple years in my Subarus and they do make quite a difference. I'm considering either the AWD or RWD Model Y in a couple months (waiting for it to roll out) so...

Are there any all-climate all-seasons available that are known?

Thanks again! This is a very informative thread.

Got mine Y 20" today. Actually driving SAME road back I can say it's more comfortable than my GMC with high (65) profile 18" tires with ~ same outside diameter on both. Much quieter in Y, less tire noise from concrete highway and even less bumpy on raliroad crossings (probably due to heavier car)

So I'd say ride quality is not compromised on 20"

That's good, my only criticism so far is that I like to use my local Costco for tires, and they do free rotations and free road hazard warranty... There really aren't that many options for tires. I guess I like the Pilot A S 3 + for the 20's, but it seems like there are several more options for the 19's out there with really good treadwear. I don't know that the one with the treadwear warranty of "800" will last 80,000 miles, but it could be some type of pro-rated discount towards a future purchase if it's below the limit. Unless you know offhand that EV's are "exempted" from the treadwear warranty.

Yep. I know people like to say there are no oil changes and stuff but if you’re dropping $1200 on tires every 2 or 3 years that’s like $600 or $400, respectively. In my other vehicles I’m usually good for 4-5 years for tires so this would be double that cost.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Brilliant, thanks.

The last thing I'm considering is an all-climate tire, in other words, a 3-season (all season) tire that has the severe service mountain icon. I've used these the last couple years in my Subarus and they do make quite a difference. I'm considering either the AWD or RWD Model Y in a couple months (waiting for it to roll out) so...

Are there any all-climate all-seasons available that are known?

Thanks again! This is a very informative thread.

My pleasure! I did the digging and figured I'd share!

I'm SUPER interested in the Michelin CrossClimate SUV. (Here they are on TireRack.)

They look like they might be the 'one tire' I can use all year. They're all-seasons with the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake rating (3PMSF). Apparently fantastic in the wet, great on snow and ice, good rolling resistance, noise, and treadwear. Plus they kinda look space-age!

Only trouble is that they don't come in 28" outer tire diameter, so the speedo and odo will be off.

Closest you can get on 20" rims are:
255/45/R20 (4.5" sidewall, 29" diameter, speedo/odo reads 3.6% LOW, same width as Induction/Gemini tires)
245/45R20 (4.34" sidewall, 28.68" diameter, speedo/odo reads 2.3% LOW, 0.4" narrower than Induction/Gemini tires)

And on 19" rims:
255/50/R19 (5.0" sidewall, 29" diameter, speedo/odo reads 3.6% LOW, same width as Induction/Gemini tires)
225/45R19 (4.0" sidewall, 27" diameter, speedo/odo reads 3.98% HIGH, 1.2" narrower than Induction/Gemini tires)

I know Tesla can adjust which OEM tires you have (actually you can do that in the latest update apparently), but I think I'd want to be able to adjust my tire diameter size to match the actual after-market tires. And I'm not sure if Tesla service can do that.

Michelin CrossClimate SUV.png

Michelin CrossClimate SUV - TireRack.png
Michelin CrossClimate SUV.png

Last edited:
The CrossClimates, coincidentally enough, were on my radar for if/when I kept my Subaru instead of going for a Model Y. I'd imagine it's just a matter of time before they offer them for the Gemini or Inductions?

I think they're a great option for people that drive in occasional winter like me, but live in an area that's relatively urban and roads get taken care of reasonably fast. I don't want to deal with the changing of tires in summer and winter months, so this is ideal for me.

As a Subie driver for the last ~15 years, I've been perfectly fine in all-seasons. But, I had some bad/scary experiences with my previous FWD cars, and if I ended up getting the RWD Model Y, I'd certainly have to consider the dedicated winters.

Nokian WRG3 all weather tires. Best of the best.

I've also run the Toyo Celsius and they were great except I did have hydroplaning issues in the summer.

Excited to see this new hybrid tire start to gain popularity as more people learn about it. when I say all weather tire now most people correct me and say, do you mean all season? Nope, look for the snowflake :)

It seems like most of the all-weather tires come with an XL rating as well which is a nice plus.

This is a great read. I chose to go the alternate route and get the geminis, pocket the $2k and then bought TST Tsportline 20" in matte black with Michelin Sport A/S 3+. Only a $900 difference :). HyperDipping the geminis too. No silver or chrome for me!

I'm curious about buying 255/45/20s when they wear out. Seems like it would fit, just off a bit on mph due circumference, right?

My pleasure! I did the digging and figured I'd share!

I'm SUPER interested in the Michelin CrossClimate SUV. (Here they are on TireRack.)

They look like they might be the 'one tire' I can use all year. They're all-seasons with the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake rating (3PMSF). Apparently fantastic in the wet, great on snow and ice, good rolling resistance, noise, and treadwear. Plus they kinda look space-age!

Only trouble is that they don't come in 28" outer tire diameter, so the speedo and odo will be off.

Closest you can get on 20" rims are:
255/45/R20 (4.5" sidewall, 29" diameter, speedo/odo reads 3.6% LOW, same width as Induction/Gemini tires)
245/45R20 (4.34" sidewall, 28.68" diameter, speedo/odo reads 2.3% LOW, 0.4" narrower than Induction/Gemini tires)

And on 19" rims:
255/50/R19 (5.0" sidewall, 29" diameter, speedo/odo reads 3.6% LOW, same width as Induction/Gemini tires)
225/45R19 (4.0" sidewall, 27" diameter, speedo/odo reads 3.98% HIGH, 1.2" narrower than Induction/Gemini tires)

I am most likely getting these tires for my 20" induction wheels.

Note that 255/45/R20 will NOT fit our vehicles.

245/45/R20 would fit, but barely. I'll test it out and will report back.

Neither the 255/50/R19 and 225/45/R19 would fit our Model Y. Just an FYI.

This is a great read. I chose to go the alternate route and get the geminis, pocket the $2k and then bought TST Tsportline 20" in matte black with Michelin Sport A/S 3+. Only a $900 difference :). HyperDipping the geminis too. No silver or chrome for me!

I'm curious about buying 255/45/20s when they wear out. Seems like it would fit, just off a bit on mph due circumference, right?

Throwing off the speedo is not a huge issue, but unfortunately, 255/45/R20s do not fit on stock 20" induction rims.

Perhaps it will fit in your aftermarket TST rims? Can you ask them and find out?

Reactions: MrTemple
Throwing off the speedo is not a huge issue, but unfortunately, 255/45/R20s do not fit on stock 20" induction rims.

Perhaps it will fit in your aftermarket TST rims? Can you ask them and find out?

Why not? According to the information on tire rack, the 255/45/R20 will fit a rim width from 8 to 9.5 inches, the 20" induction is 9.5" wide.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.29.35 AM.png

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ll=Blackwall&partnum=545WR0CCPSUVXL&tab=Sizes

Perhaps there could be an issue since the overall tire diameter is 29" (instead of 28") with clearance/rubbing in the wheel wells when the front wheels are turned all the way?

I am very interested in the 20" wheel set up (likely aftermarket such as 8.5" Martians) with the 255/45/20 Michelin Cross Climates assuming they will work on the Y.