Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model Y 19" vs 20" Decision Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
255/45/20 is too big and will result in greater than 3% variance. Local tire shop do not recommend it as they also say that it will rub and cause more issues further down.

245/45/20 fits, however.

Michelin Cross climate come in 245/45/20 and it would be a great tire for all weather situation including snow and ince.

I'm leaning towards 245/45/20 with Michelin all weather tires myself.

Anyone have pics of a 245/45/20 tire mounted on the 9.5-in wheel?

Anyone have pics of a 245/45/20 tire mounted on the 9.5-in wheel?
That’s going to be stretched I think. That will provide even less rim protection. I have 255/40R20 on a 9 in wheel and it’s just about right.
85D32920-C32E-44FF-A2FB-E8E7142E0825.jpeg
E7BC47A4-4C4F-4614-914A-FFCE3032AF06.jpeg
0E68A074-00C9-4ADF-B1B7-B8983FFD54EE.jpeg

That’s going to be stretched I think. That will provide even less rim protection. I have 255/40R20 on a 9 in wheel and it’s just about right. View attachment 597052 View attachment 597053 View attachment 597054

Couldn't agree more. I have 255s on a 9 inch wheel on my M3 and it's perfect. I just don't understand the decision to go with a 9.5 inch wheel. Completely screws most tire choices.

Even more confusing are the new T-Sportline wheels. Theirs is a 20x10. That means you need to run a 265 tire minimum, ideally 275. Will that even fit up front? Not to mention the added rolling resistance. Their wheel and tire packages come with a 255 which is outside of almost every tire manufacturer's specs.

I don't get it.

Couldn't agree more. I have 255s on a 9 inch wheel on my M3 and it's perfect. I just don't understand the decision to go with a 9.5 inch wheel. Completely screws most tire choices.

Even more confusing are the new T-Sportline wheels. Theirs is a 20x10. That means you need to run a 265 tire minimum, ideally 275. Will that even fit up front? Not to mention the added rolling resistance. Their wheel and tire packages come with a 255 which is outside of almost every tire manufacturer's specs.

I don't get it.

This is why I went with 8.5” for my winter wheels. Best size for 255 tires on the Y IMO.

I am glad I found this thread. I have been agonizing over 19 vs 20 inch. I like the look of black rims.
I don't want to sacrifice ride quality.

So I am thinking of getting after market black rims from TSportline in size 19 inch.
I need winter tires for 5 months a year. I will take tires from gemini rims and get them mounted on TSportline wheels.
I will install snow tires on gemini rims.
This will let me use better looking black rims 7 months a year.

Has any one does this?
Will this work?

Thanks

Reactions: RyFreddy
I am glad I found this thread. I have been agonizing over 19 vs 20 inch. I like the look of black rims.
I don't want to sacrifice ride quality.

So I am thinking of getting after market black rims from TSportline in size 19 inch.
I need winter tires for 5 months a year. I will take tires from gemini rims and get them mounted on TSportline wheels.
I will install snow tires on gemini rims.
This will let me use better looking black rims 7 months a year.

Has any one does this?
Will this work?

Thanks

It'll certainly work! And very common. I've got inductions, and for my winters I'm getting aftermarket rims from Replika (posted in the OP).

You'll need to get Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors though. (Well you don't NEED to, but if you don't it'll pop a warning on the screen all winter.)

TPMSs are about $100 from your local Tesla service centre. But they are often out of stock, so order early.

Alternatively, my tire shop called Tesla (who was out of stock of TPMS) and Tesla told them how to build/program the 3rd party OEMS. As far as I know nobody's actually reported that this can work for the Y (which needs different TPMSs than the S/X/3), but both Tesla and my shop seemed very confident it would. I'll know in the next week if it does!

Reactions: icculus479
Currently have the TMY PUP with the staggered 21" Ubers and Pirelli tiress. For issues of curb rash and some winter mountain driving, I have the following setup planned and ready to buy:

- Replika R241 20" x 8.5" (5x114.3mm, +35, 64.1mm)
- Quatrac Pro 255/40R20 All-Weather tires (M+S)
- can't seem to find a direct source for TPS so swapping from OEM

It worked! Even bought new TPS modules from the service center.
Still waiting on Tesla center caps and lug nut covers though.

lAYTMnE

Anyone switched over from 20" Inductions to 20" TST?... Look like the 20" TST wheels are about 3.25lbs heavier than Inductions. Did you experience any range loss when you switched over?

Inductions
  • Size: 20X9.5" Front & Rear
  • Offset: +45
  • PCD: 5X114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Weight: 31.55 lbs

TST
  • Size: 20x10"
  • Offset: +40
  • (PCD): 5x114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1
  • Weight: 34.8 lbs
  • Load Rating: 900 kg/1,980 lbs

Anyone switched over from 20" Inductions to 20" TST?... Look like the 20" TST wheels are about 3.25lbs heavier than Inductions. Did you experience any range loss when you switched over?

Inductions
  • Size: 20X9.5" Front & Rear
  • Offset: +45
  • PCD: 5X114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Weight: 31.55 lbs

TST
  • Size: 20x10"
  • Offset: +40
  • (PCD): 5x114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1
  • Weight: 34.8 lbs
  • Load Rating: 900 kg/1,980 lbs

I think the 9.5” is already pushing it for 255 width tires. 10” would stick out even further from the rubber. Are you sure it’s even compatible with the 4” sidewall of the 255/40R20 tires?

I ordered 8.5” wide winter wheels. 255 width tires fit even better and have way less risk of curbing.

L
It'll certainly work! And very common. I've got inductions, and for my winters I'm getting aftermarket rims from Replika (posted in the OP).

You'll need to get Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors though. (Well you don't NEED to, but if you don't it'll pop a warning on the screen all winter.)

TPMSs are about $100 from your local Tesla service centre. But they are often out of stock, so order early.

Alternatively, my tire shop called Tesla (who was out of stock of TPMS) and Tesla told them how to build/program the 3rd party OEMS. As far as I know nobody's actually reported that this can work for the Y (which needs different TPMSs than the S/X/3), but both Tesla and my shop seemed very confident it would. I'll know in the next week if it does!

If I’m just getting new tires (winter) mounted on the rims that come with the car, I won’t need to purchase new TPMS right?

I like the grey...was thinking of going inductions but maybe I will get the Geminis and swap them out with these. If the inductions came in grey instead of black I would just stick with the inductions. Although, not a huge fan of the logo in the middle. would rather have a Tesla logo or nothing.

Wonder how these would impact the range compared to geminis and inductions?
That’s exactly what I plan to do. I’m not a fan of the induction wheels because I absolutely hate black rims. They just look like cheap spare tires and blend in too much with the tire itself. I like the grey uberturbine replica from Tsportline.