Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2023: What is your solution for Roof Rack and Roof Cargo Box?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the Tesla racks and some modified Yakima saddles on my Model S to transport a home-made 24' double kayak (around 80-90 lbs) over 300 miles, plus a ferry ride and driving on plenty of gravel roads. There are arrows on the roof glass pointing to the hidden brackets welded under the glass. These brackets accept the special bolts of the Tesla rack. I don't think it would be worth any savings to use anything else, especially if you are planning to carry any significant weight.
20220524_164051.jpg

Upvote 0
You old farts, remember those "turtle boxes" back in the day. I had one on a 1st gen Honda Accord?😂. Back in the day I had a box (before tule and Yakima) made by the folks who made Butterfly sailboats which were competition of Sunfish and Sailfish. It was basically two hulls attached with a piano hinge. It was absolutely bulletproof. I would only go with Tule or Yakima if they had a Tesla-model specific towers.

Upvote 0
Amazon offers cheap versions of roof racks than Tesla. Did anyone try it? Safe?
Also, any suggestions for the Roof Cargo Box which fits MY 2023? (Thule etc,)
If you are looking for safe, durable, and affordable Tesla roof rack for your Model Y 2023, then there is a very good sollution - Tesery roof rack. The Tesery roof rack is made of top-quality aluminum alloy material, and it's lightweight and strong enough to hold those cargoes you put on it that don't fit in the trunk like bikes, skis, kayaks, tents, etc.

Upvote 0
If you are looking for safe, durable, and affordable Tesla roof rack for your Model Y 2023, then there is a very good sollution - Tesery roof rack. The Tesery roof rack is made of top-quality aluminum alloy material, and it's lightweight and strong enough to hold those cargoes you put on it that don't fit in the trunk like bikes, skis, kayaks, tents, etc.
Can you tell us about the differences and features?

Upvote 0
You mean something that you'd have to install right next to the huge glass roof? ... something that's not made by Tesla? ... something that's way cheaper than the thing that IS made by Tesla?

Hmmmmmm

The Tesla OEM rack is made by Yakima or an associated company.

For the Model 3, Yakima offers an aftermarket type rack setup that hooks onto the drip rails and does not touch or need to hook under the roof glass. But they do not have a similar setup for the Model Y. This setup for the Model 3 is also more expensive than the Tesla OEM rack.

Upvote 0
I used the Tesla racks and some modified Yakima saddles on my Model S to transport a home-made 24' double kayak (around 80-90 lbs) over 300 miles, plus a ferry ride and driving on plenty of gravel roads. There are arrows on the roof glass pointing to the hidden brackets welded under the glass. These brackets accept the special bolts of the Tesla rack. I don't think it would be worth any savings to use anything else, especially if you are planning to carry any significant weight.View attachment 901076
Bumping an old post - I was looking at the @Tesery roof rack they linked to above and noted that someone named “Rodrigo S” submitted a five star review using this exact picture… although the review says it’s for a Model 3. Is Tesery posting fake reviews?

IMG_0418.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
Upvote 0
Bumping an old post - I was looking at the @Tesery roof rack they linked to above and noted that someone named “Rodrigo S” submitted a five star review using this exact picture… although the review says it’s for a Model 3. Is Tesery posting fake reviews?

View attachment 1026348
Yeah, there's no way someone else has this set-up. probably less than 20 of those boats were ever built, and ours was built 35 years ago (by us). The plans have not been available for at leat 20 years....

Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0
I used factory Tesla crossbars and had their techs install it for about $100 USD. Read and heard horror stories of cracked roofs I didn't want to take a chance. The OEM for factory crossbars is Yakima, that gave me a lot more confidence with brand option.

As far as roof box, I went with a Yakima GrandTour 18. A bit longer and shorter in height compared to the GrandTour 16 most MY folks are getting. Rear hatch opens just right based on my garage opening settings.

EOS R5_2676.png
EOS R5_2674.png
EOS R5_2685.png

Upvote 0