Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y acceleration pedal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't... You can't do that in any Tesla, best you can do is lower it, in 2020 and earlier models.
Unless you buy the S3XY buttons and configure them to adjust regen.

You can put the car in neutral however, if you wish, but I don't recommend that.

Normal (full) regen is perfectly fine, I leave it even for winter in snow, ice etc. No need to reduce it.

Upvote 0
I realize that we do get a lot of new posters here that post things that sometimes look suspicious. I fully see and acknowledge that. With that being said, not every new poster is trying to stir up stuff. I have a pretty good feeling for that type of thing. Im going to single out a post where its fairly obvious that the objective isnt discussion, its "stir stuff up":

I am not pointing this out from a perspective of moderation, but with that being said, I probably shouldnt do it anyway. With that being said, the above thread creation and first post is very obviously (to me at least) someone who was posting to "stir stuff up". Pick a controversial topic, USE CAPS in the thread title and IN THE BODY OF THE POST to DRAW ATTENTION, express extreme INDIGNATION, Insult people who feel differently (bonus points for use of the word "cult").

Contrast that with this first post, where, at least to me, it appears that a person could just be confused about regen braking and why the car slows down when they take their foot off the pedal. That "puuuuusssshhhhh......relax and coast" thing is real. My wife drove that way for her entire driving life.

She only noticed it when she was driving my model 3, which she didnt like driving when I got it in 2018 but didnt understand why. I didnt even realize she drove her BMWs over the years that way except subconsciously. I started paying attention the few times she was driving her X3 and I was riding in it, and realized what was happening. I told her, but she really couldnt do anything about it (nor was she really interested in doing so). That is, until she decided she wanted a model Y instead of the X3. We discussed this very thing, and she said she would get used to it.

It took her about a week or so to be able to drive her model Y smoothly, but she drives it fine now. She never complained about it (probably because we discussed this exact thing before I started the process of selling her X3 and ordering the model Y once she was sure she wanted it), but I know it was an adjustment period.

Just like every post on "Im not getting my range" is "stirring stuff up" (but some of them definitely are), I dont feel this post is that.

TL ; DR -- This doesnt feel like that to me, so I am defending the OP here some, even though I fully acknowledge there are plenty of people who join TMC to do that. This doesnt feel like that to me.
I exactly know what you’re trying to convey here, but it’s not happening in this case. Sorry your wife’s case doesn’t fit here..Thanks anyway.

Upvote 0
maybe there is an issue. schedule a service. because I never found the pedal any harder than any car I've had this century. It's very easy to modulate. Admittedly I practice stuff like creeping along and keeping the speedo at 0. But fine control is pretty easy and the pedal effort not noticeable.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
Ok. Thanks
I think I ment you can change stopping mode -
1666028077386.jpeg

Upvote 0
Just find it an crazy(unless a medical issue), hence the doubt and they never posted again after....
On a sidenote.... new Riverside service center opening soon :)
I would disagree on the "medical issue". I know it's going to look very suspicious coming from my account since it's new (got delivered 10/15). But as a new Tesla owner, one of the comments I made on the first day was that the accelerator was hard to push on and maintain. It's probably just needing to get use to going from ICE to EV, but it is definitely a noticeable difference when you first drive a Tesla.

Reactions: alangold
Upvote 0
I exactly know what you’re trying to convey here, but it’s not happening in this case. Sorry your wife’s case doesn’t fit here..Thanks anyway.

Then I wish you the best in figuring this out. If its not you pulsing the pedal / not being used to regen braking with a new vehicle, I have no other suggestions.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
I’m also finding the go pedal hard to push. Took delivery yesterday. You feel it especially at low speeds. At high speed you get used to it since you’re holding your foot constant.

Maybe it’s normal for performance/luxury cars? Could be why not everyone is noticing it. I’m coming from an old Camry and its pedal was feather touch.

Trying to figure out if I should include it in my service reports or not.

Upvote 0
I’m also finding the go pedal hard to push. Took delivery yesterday. You feel it especially at low speeds. At high speed you get used to it since you’re holding your foot constant.

Maybe it’s normal for performance/luxury cars? Could be why not everyone is noticing it. I’m coming from an old Camry and its pedal was feather touch.

Trying to figure out if I should include it in my service reports or not.
I'll throw this out for consideration. I normally drive in chill mode. This seems to be a trigger for some, so I won't argue that this is the preferred way to drive a Tesla. I purchased boost for my car, and when I'm in the mood I do enjoy it. However, Chill mode gives you an easier "tip-in" when starting from a stop, and makes the throttle a bit less touchy to me for most driving. Some argue that this may pose a safety issue by making power unavailable. I don't agree. In chill mode the car still has more power available than most cars on the road. Your mileage may vary. Cheers

Upvote 0