Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Alerts (DI_a223, DI_a222, UI_a020, GTW_w074)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
Anyone know what these errors really mean and how serious they are (in terms of hardware problems - connections, malfunctioning components, communication related etc...);
1. DI_a223 - Traction control disabled
2. DI_a222 - Stability control disabled
3. UI_a020 - Steering assist reduced
4. GTW_w074 - Steering assist reduced

My model Y only has like 7k miles on it. It was driving just fine yesterday 1:00pm but when I got into go home around 4pm, all these errors popped up and I had to tow it to the service center. They did not give much details but said that Traction control error is not very common and they will need to do a deep-dive investigation to figure out what is going on.
Wondering if any of the community members had such encounters and how critical they are.

Attachments

• Tesla Errors.jpg
    Tesla Errors.jpg
    797.7 KB · Views: 1,252
The good news is it's under warranty. I would think it would be a common failed component and was leaning towards a wheel speed sensor. Now with Tesla saying the traction control requires a deeper dive makes me re consider. It could also come down to a faulty ground somewhere. Had under warranty an issue where the car would display an open hood when it was closed and latched. Came to be a grounding issue. I thought it may had been the latch mechanism needed adjusting.

What would really be nice is a database of combined alerts and what the fix was. This would really help out the out of warranty crowd.

You now can obtain a free Service subscriptions through Tesla Service and poke around.

The good news is it's under warranty. I would think it would be a common failed component and was leaning towards a wheel speed sensor. Now with Tesla saying the traction control requires a deeper dive makes me re consider. It could also come down to a faulty ground somewhere. Had under warranty an issue where the car would display an open hood when it was closed and latched. Came to be a grounding issue. I thought it may had been the latch mechanism needed adjusting.

What would really be nice is a database of combined alerts and what the fix was. This would really help out the out of warranty crowd.

You now can obtain a free Service subscriptions through Tesla Service and poke around.
Hey yeah. Oh god imagine if it is out of warranty.. haha. But I think it is still way too early to have such errors in a car That costs so much. Anyway, let’s see what they say. The tech told me that they will do a hard reboot of the entire car first and try. Apparently it is different from any known methods available to the end-user (according to him). May be they (Tesla ppl) have their ways of rebooting. I think they take it slow coz they gave me a loaner. Dropped the car off yesterday it doesn’t seem like anything was done today. Let’s see..

Okay.. Update. Car is finally fixed and they narrowed the problem down to a bad car computer. Apparently there was in internal short. Here is the full detail from their service report:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Concern: Won't power on/start - traction control disabled , stability control disabled , steering assist
reduced .
During diagnosis the technician found that there was an internal short to the Car Computer.
The Car Computer was replaced and associated to the vehicle's VIN. After replacement, the Car
Computer was updated to the most recent firmware package. Unfortunately the technician was
unable to recover the customer's profile. The customer will need to make new profiles and adjust
settings back to their liking

Correction: Low Voltage Circuit Integrity Check
Correction: Car Computer (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
TLA,AP-T,CONN-Q,MCU-Z,MY,LEFT HAND DRIVE(1684435-S0-G)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took a week to fix it though. Seems like they had some parts issues. Understandable given current supply chain crisis. Anyhow, glad to have the car back :)

Reactions: OH_WATT and dino007
Yikes, my 2022 Model y is doing the same thing!
I am out in the country and the only service appointment I could get within a couple of weeks is 100 miles away! Is it safe to drive?? I did a short drive with it and it really feels weird. I am nervous. I wasn't offered a mobile service to my area

Oh that sucks. It happened to me at my office so I guess I was a little lucky in that sense. I think you could drive very slowly but I guess the steering wheel is really stiff (at least it was on mine). Plus with all the traction control and whatnots not working, I’d rather you don’t.
Don’t do a service request. Call roadside assistance. They will provide you with tow service and take the car to the nearest service center. And they will take your car in for repairs. Ask for a loaner too and they will likely give you one if they have. Or Uber credit.

Oh that sucks. It happened to me at my office so I guess I was a little lucky in that sense. I think you could drive very slowly but I guess the steering wheel is really stiff (at least it was on mine). Plus with all the traction control and whatnots not working, I’d rather you don’t.
Don’t do a service request. Call roadside assistance. They will provide you with tow service and take the car to the nearest service center. And they will take your car in for repairs. Ask for a loaner too and they will likely give you one if they have. Or Uber credit.
Thanks so much... That sounds like a good suggestion.

I just experienced UI_A020 twice today, thus, I am here trying to find more information on it.

"Steering may require increased effort" is an understatement. You are driving without power steering. I was merging onto highway when this occurred, not fun but not too bad. It was city streets that was the big problem, barely make left hand turns, right hand turns i'm using my bodyweight to rotate the wheel.

I live in a condo so i knew i wasn't making it to garage. I stop in visitors, reset the computer, everything came online but problem wasn't fixed. I grab my things to leave the car there while i contact service, I don't know why but last min I thought, why not just check again.

Error is gone and power steering is back. I don't know if this is a random occurrence or is going to be a continuing thing, so found my way here looking for answers. May 2021 Model Y LR

Happened to my Model 3 RWD 2022 taken out in March 2022. It's still in service and been so for a week. No word from service what it could be but "parts is ordered" according to app status. Will post here again when it's sorted.

Attachments

• 69765358300__DADD5543-C1AC-4B22-9E6C-D25A8EC52473.jpeg
    69765358300__DADD5543-C1AC-4B22-9E6C-D25A8EC52473.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0937.jpeg
    IMG_0937.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 342
Okay.. Update. Car is finally fixed and they narrowed the problem down to a bad car computer. Apparently there was in internal short. Here is the full detail from their service report:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Concern: Won't power on/start - traction control disabled , stability control disabled , steering assist
reduced .
During diagnosis the technician found that there was an internal short to the Car Computer.
The Car Computer was replaced and associated to the vehicle's VIN. After replacement, the Car
Computer was updated to the most recent firmware package. Unfortunately the technician was
unable to recover the customer's profile. The customer will need to make new profiles and adjust
settings back to their liking

Correction: Low Voltage Circuit Integrity Check
Correction: Car Computer (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
TLA,AP-T,CONN-Q,MCU-Z,MY,LEFT HAND DRIVE(1684435-S0-G)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took a week to fix it though. Seems like they had some parts issues. Understandable given current supply chain crisis. Anyhow, glad to have the car back :)
Do they also replace the onboard touchscreen when replacing the car computer?