Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y boot open - Cambridge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good spot. If it were mine, I would have appreciated if you'd closed it, and be grateful.

I've accidentally pocket opened my boot before. Fortunately it was in work car park and safe there until colleague spotted it.

Good spot. If it were mine, I would have appreciated if you'd closed it, and be grateful.

I've accidentally pocket opened my boot before. Fortunately it was in work car park and safe there until colleague spotted it.
Because of other reasons I overstayed in the car park and the owner came back in an hour. The boot wasn’t closed till she came back and it looked like she forgot to close the boot. She came back in a bike and then loaded the bike inside. It looked like she unloaded the bike and then forgot to close the boot as it was one of those fiddly adult bikes which normally distracts you from doing your other routines.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Shame the boot doesn’t auto close with walk away lock like the windows and doors
The reasons for that is understandable - you can walk away and if a dog / or something that is getting loaded/unloaded is stuck it can easily gets trapped or damage the boot door (There is no sensor like some of the other cars that stops the boot from being closed if it senses an object - of course, the main reason for this is to make car manufacturing simple but people like to call Elon’s strategy as cost cutting). The walk away lock can easily get enabled within 5 foot distance in some cases. I think the California 2K kids thought about that and that is refreshing but at the same time their notification setup needs some work.

Last edited:
I've done this before too. Car was in it's usual overnight spot in my communal garage so was semi safe I guess. But there's a few improvements Tesla could do:

1. Confirm boot open prompt if you're outside Bluetooth range. Would reduce the number accidental button pushes, especially with widgets. I think that's what happened to me
2. Notification if boot left open. They do it with windows, climate, etc. so why not boot?

I've done this before too. Car was in it's usual overnight spot in my communal garage so was semi safe I guess. But there's a few improvements Tesla could do:

1. Confirm boot open prompt if you're outside Bluetooth range. Would reduce the number accidental button pushes, especially with widgets. I think that's what happened to me
2. Notification if boot left open. They do it with windows, climate, etc. so why not boot?
You do get a notification when it’s left open for a certain amount of time. I’ve had it before but not sure it works 100%

I get notifications if I leave the boot open - which I often do deliberately if I’m working nearby and collecting / returning stuff to the boot. But I think it takes 10 minutes or so before I get a notification.
That’s good to know then, as it means mine mustn’t have been left open for longer than I thought. I must’ve accidentally clicked the button on the widget by accident and realised straight away.