Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y cargo capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Typically Tesla reports cargo space including the frunk, which is basically negligible on Model 3 compared to Model X - I don't know number off-hand but it can't be more than 2 cu ft. I would imagine it would be very similar for Y. Maybe it gets a touch more depth?

The 66 has to be with rear seats folded down. A Prius with rear seats folded down is 62ish, and roughly 24 with rear seats up.

Does the 66 cu ft also include the volume below trunk area? It shouldn't since it would disappear in the third row seat option.

Does the 66 cu ft also include the volume below trunk area? It shouldn't since it would disappear in the third row seat option.

I wouldn't be so certain that the below trunk storage will disappear with the 3rd row installed. That area is all the way in the back of the 3. Too far back to be under those seats, I'd think.

EDIT: Still shot from the intro video shows another section of floor behind the 3rd row. There is almost certainly storage under there. The front of that floor section intersects the rear wheel arches in pretty much the same place the front of the under-trunk panel intersects the wheel arches in the 3.

yhatch.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Last edited:
I may be late to the party, but I'm actually wondering if they have gone "pencils down" on the design.

If there's any future bet I would make on the Y, it's that the specs we see now and the specs we see on ship date will be a degree different. I'll put a nickel on that for any takers.

I may be late to the party, but I'm actually wondering if they have gone "pencils down" on the design.

If there's any future bet I would make on the Y, it's that the specs we see now and the specs we see on ship date will be a degree different. I'll put a nickel on that for any takers.

I'm of the opinion the pencils went back up, so to speak. I believe the decision to make it a 7 seater was somewhat last minute (i.e., came after Elon's pencils down comment in 2018), and they need to make some design tweaks to the rear seat/hatchback etc. as well as address some safety considerations that may have come up. That's why they didn't want anyone looking at that area during the event.

If you watch Elon's presentation, he takes a hard look at the back area after everyone gets out of the Y on stage. It's like he's either making sure the seats are down or curious about something in there...

I'm of the opinion the pencils went back up, so to speak. I believe the decision to make it a 7 seater was somewhat last minute (i.e., came after Elon's pencils down comment in 2018), and they need to make some design tweaks to the rear seat/hatchback etc. as well as address some safety considerations that may have come up. That's why they didn't want anyone looking at that area during the event.

If you watch Elon's presentation, he takes a hard look at the back area after everyone gets out of the Y on stage. It's like he's either making sure the seats are down or curious about something in there...

The rear 2 seats must only be for children I reckon. There's no headrests on them in the video above or in the graphic on the website. Looking at how little space there is (due to the sloping roof) then I don't think headrests would even fit under the glass. Also - the legroom is going to be really cramped to get the legs in before the middle row seats. To be a proper 3 row car they should have extended the 3 wheelbase a few inches, done a proper flatter roof hatchback - and gone with a flatter roof rather than this egg-shape - where the car is too tall over the drivers head - somebody 7ft3 tall could sit in this thing it seems!

I caught that too. Really stood out. With anyone else you might assume it was simply to raise dramatic tension. And it may have been. But with Elon, he may have just spotted something. Ha ha.

------------------
Oh damn it. I see this forum has the unfortunate tendency to lose your post if you were not logged in. Nice feature. Sysops, how about extending the time a member stays logged in. I would suggest, uh... forever. Not a big security risk here. ;>

I believe the coefficient of drag represents the ratio of frontal area to drag, not the total drag of the vehicle.
That's correct. So a car that has a 20% larger frontal area but the same coefficient has 20% more drag at a given speed. The drag also goes up with the square of the velocity, so, if you're going fast, slowing down a bit helps a lot.

The rear 2 seats must only be for children I reckon. There's no headrests on them in the video above or in the graphic on the website. Looking at how little space there is (due to the sloping roof) then I don't think headrests would even fit under the glass. Also - the legroom is going to be really cramped to get the legs in before the middle row seats. To be a proper 3 row car they should have extended the 3 wheelbase a few inches, done a proper flatter roof hatchback - and gone with a flatter roof rather than this egg-shape - where the car is too tall over the drivers head - somebody 7ft3 tall could sit in this thing it seems!

According to Franz, the middle row will be movable fore and aft. So you can add 3rd row legroom at the expense of 2nd row legroom. I'd bet passengers in the Y will need less horizontal legroom than in the 3, since they'll be sitting higher up and will have more vertical legroom.

I will say this... it seems useless to compare advertised cargo space between a hatchback and a sedan. That 66 cubic feet must be with both the 2nd and 3rd row folded down. If you really want to compare that number with the Model 3, you need to fold the 3's seats down and include all of that space as well. In other words, you can't say the Y has 66 cubic feet and the 3 only has 15.

I will say this... it seems useless to compare advertised cargo space between a hatchback and a sedan. That 66 cubic feet must be with both the 2nd and 3rd row folded down. If you really want to compare that number with the Model 3, you need to fold the 3's seats down and include all of that space as well. In other words, you can't say the Y has 66 cubic feet and the 3 only has 15.

Yeah, I'd imagine Model 3 is around high 30s with seats folded down.

I also like to think they went Pencils Up after the reveal, to put more "utility" into the design, and differentiate it more from the Model 3 sedan.