Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model y clicks and pops when I accelerate/slow - axels need lube. Tesla wants $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model y clicks and pops whenever I accelerate or decelerate.

I've done my research and I've discovered other people had this issue on these forums and I see I needed to get axels re-lubbed to solve this issue.

I saw others got this done for free under warranty. My service center said this considered maintenance and not covered under warrranty and wants to charge me $500.

The clicks and pops are really, really bad.

Is this right? Should I be paying for this?

Part replacement would be a warranty issue then....
I can't talk from any experience, but I gather when you raise a job Tesla creates a worksheet/invoice that often has charges - but Warranty claims get zeroed out.

You need to talk to the service centre again.

So after further discussion with my advisor, it's lubrication of all front drive and rear drive half shafts, so all 4 axles?

They got the cost down to $313. $196 for diagnosis (which is crazy because I already diagnosed it and he agreed I was right, 1 minute into test drive). Then $60 for 2 corrections in front, and they $0'd out the price for the back corrections.

He explained that in the past this may have been a good will item depending on the SC but Tesla is cracking down on this and trying to hold the SCs to the letter of what's covered under warranty and what is considered maintenance.

He said this problem comes in often and Tesla has targeted it as a specific example of above.

My model y clicks and pops whenever I accelerate or decelerate.

I've done my research and I've discovered other people had this issue on these forums and I see I needed to get axels re-lubbed to solve this issue.

I saw others got this done for free under warranty. My service center said this considered maintenance and not covered under warrranty and wants to charge me $500.

The clicks and pops are really, really bad.

Is this right? Should I be paying for this?
How many miles are on your car?

If it were a regular maintenance item, it would be in the maintenance intervals for the car. It isn't. If you have a clicking and popping car under warranty, it should be covered.

In what world is this a regular maintenance item that the customer should foot the bill for??

Reactions: flixden
If it were a regular maintenance item, it would be in the maintenance intervals for the car. It isn't. If you have a clicking and popping car under warranty, it should be covered.

In what world is this a regular maintenance item that the customer should foot the bill for??
Yep. Couldn't agree more.