Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y collision: repair estimates/thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Devastated about this collision, new driver with poor spatial awareness. Any thoughts on why the light is sunk in? I’m thinking quarter panel replacement, front bumper fix up? Thoughts on if I should do a body shop or Tesla service?

Attachments

• 5591B739-5398-4930-95BC-592E4D1DD292.jpeg
    5591B739-5398-4930-95BC-592E4D1DD292.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 192
  • E6486C2C-1C63-4F72-951C-77D089CCE094.jpeg
    E6486C2C-1C63-4F72-951C-77D089CCE094.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 120
  • F6844544-2DDD-4BD6-BDB3-44A33569C14D.jpeg
    F6844544-2DDD-4BD6-BDB3-44A33569C14D.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 131
Devastated about this collision, new driver with poor spatial awareness.
Any thoughts on why the light is sunk in?
I’m thinking quarter panel replacement, front bumper fix up?
For the light, you should be able to access it from inside the trunk.
May be you can secure it or remove it. The glass don't seem broken?
You need to remove the black cover, there are may be 11 bolts of 10 mm I believe.
Very easy, a good way to check if there is any noticeable damages
to the wheelhouse or shock absorption beam.
Thoughts on if I should do a body shop or Tesla service?
Here you can find the Tesla Approved body shop for your area.

Last edited:
Reactions: mark95476
Sorry to hear that you were involved in an unfortunate event. Hope everyone is ok.

The headlight is mounted on a plate that sits on top of the bumper brace. Seems the impact has pushed that portion of the assembly inward. No doubt you will find more damage internally once the bodyshop disassembles the impact area. Perhaps even to the upper control arm of the suspension and other adjacent parts.

To answer your question. Definitely body, don't waste your time trying to see how involved it is. There is definitely damage behind what your eye can see. Tesla approved shop is always best in my opinion. In NYC, although Tesla has a shop now they send out a lot of their work to an approved shop.

Looking at pictures. Your collision appears almost identical to that of my hit with deer. In my case, Tesla approved body shop has been working on mine since 12/21 and progressive insurance already paid out $13,500 to repair the following: bumper, fender, headlight and front passenger door. I am few days away from picking up my vehicle so I am counting my fingers that everything is going be okay as well..

Attachments

• 20201219_022927.jpg
    20201219_022927.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 20201221_072106.jpg
    20201221_072106.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 122
Sorry about that and I hope everyone is OK but step back and just remember it's just a car and can be repaired. Don't beat yourself up over it. I think back to previous fender benders and felt the same as you only to remember those cars are long gone and in the end it wasn't that big of a deal.

I totally agree with the sentiment of your post. However, "...those cars are long gone...", for sure. Bumpers used to function as...bumpers. Chrome steel (that weighed a ton!) actually WORKED to deflect damage. Now, bumpers are eye candy, and repair COSTS are astronomical. longhorn8847: $13.5k (and counting) for hitting a deer?

Yes, I know, crumple zones save lives, etc. etc., but bottom line: even minor 5mph scrapes cost a fortune to repair, because of the consumers' vanity about appearance, painted bumpers, etc.

I totally agree with the sentiment of your post. However, "...those cars are long gone...", for sure. Bumpers used to function as...bumpers. Chrome steel (that weighed a ton!) actually WORKED to deflect damage. Now, bumpers are eye candy, and repair COSTS are astronomical. longhorn8847: $13.5k (and counting) for hitting a deer?

Yes, I know, crumple zones save lives, etc. etc., but bottom line: even minor 5mph scrapes cost a fortune to repair, because of the consumers' vanity about appearance, painted bumpers, etc.

Yup, I know. That was my reaction too. I was expecting like 5K but when I got the estimated cost from my claim adjuster. I was glad that I always get comprehensive insurance.

Estimate showed that labor was approx 9K and parts/paint was 4.5K. And of course, there is other misc fees added too.

Just talked with body shop and my car is still not ready since parts have not arrived.. counting the days I can get out of 2015 Honda Accord since 12/19/20...

This kind of costs for hitting deer are not specific to Tesla. I hit a small deer in my 2017 BMW X5 xdrive40e, and and the repair came to $26,500. And to the naked eye, my damage looked very similar to the Judsyu's MY. I figured maybe $8-9K, and I was way off.

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476
Even minor damages are expensive to fix these days with the advent of crush/crumple zones. So much of the car's structure is designed to give away to absorb impact which means there's a lot of internal damage that you don't see.

I had an Audi A5 before the MY and what I thought was a little "love-tap" (during rush-hour traffic) on the freeway from a car behind me ended up costing the offender $3200. During the inspection, the adjuster approved a new rear bumper cover, lower valance and a bunch of internal retaining braces and clips that broke off on impact + labor + paint.

Last edited:
Reactions: HotIce
I think bumpers need to be designed to withstand ~5mph square or head-on without significant damage.

It takes a while to get used to the dimension of a new car and OP's driver seems to have tried fitting a square block into a round hole.

Even minor damages are expensive to fix these days with the advent of crush/crumple zones. So much of the car's structure is designed to give away to absorb impact which means there's a lot of internal damage that you don't see.

I had an Audi A5 before the MY and what I thought was a little "love-tap" (during rush-hour traffic) on the freeway from a car behind me ended up costing the offender $3200. During the inspection, the adjuster approved a new rear bumper cover, lower valance and a bunch of internal retaining braces and clips that broke off on impact + labor + paint.

I think bumpers need to be designed to withstand ~5mph square or head-on without significant damage.

It takes a while to get used to the dimension of a new car and OP's driver seems to have tried fitting a square block into a round hole.

I thought so too. I guess trashing an $1100 bumper (Tesla front) isn't "...significant damage..."

The good news: You drive the safest SUV in the world.
The bad news: Your y is the safest SUV in the world because of where the strength and weight are and aren't. i.e. crumple zones.
Plus- this car gives me more heads up about any spatial awareness shortcomings more than any other car I've had. Even if this car was built like a tank, you'd have to pay for all the other bumpers your driver is going to trash out there!! ;)

Quick update for others:

My MY is still not repaired due to Tesla not shipping the parts that were ordered by the body shop on 12/23/2020. The part name is "USS APP RADIAL, DCR, ASSY, PEARL WHITE." Any clue as to what this part is? Anyway, the sadness of being stuck in Honda Accord is making me want to pull an early trigger to get my wife the MY SR :rolleyes:

Quick update for others:

My MY is still not repaired due to Tesla not shipping the parts that were ordered by the body shop on 12/23/2020. The part name is "USS APP RADIAL, DCR, ASSY, PEARL WHITE." Any clue as to what this part is? Anyway, the sadness of being stuck in Honda Accord is making me want to pull an early trigger to get my wife the MY SR :rolleyes:

It is an ultrasonic parking sensor of all things:
Model Y App Radial.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: longhorn8847