Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Desired Features and Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if Tesla will package the Duel Motor like they did with the M3, near the top price? If so, I think Tesla will have a lot of disappointed buyers. I can see people kind of accepting it with the M3 because it's a sedan, but a small SUV from a company known for performance? Me, thinks peeps are going to want the dual motor goodness with their SUV while not having to go with all the other expensive most premium other options.

Reactions: Gen3
I'm hoping Tesla and Elon still have a desire to delight and surprise. Elon's putting out a lot of info ahead of the reveal that seems to be intended to dampen excitement and speculation, essentially saying it's a slightly bigger Model 3.

Which, don't get me wrong, will still be a winner sales-wise. It would just be nice if there's a little bit of innovation or a surprising feature or two as opposed to literally a higher Model 3 with hatchback.

I'm hoping Tesla and Elon still have a desire to delight and surprise. Elon's putting out a lot of info ahead of the reveal that seems to be intended to dampen excitement and speculation, essentially saying it's a slightly bigger Model 3.

Which, don't get me wrong, will still be a winner sales-wise. It would just be nice if there's a little bit of innovation or a surprising feature or two as opposed to literally a higher Model 3 with hatchback.
The lights/bumpers are probably different. This is how all sedan/CUV siblings are developed these days.

My colleague has an X. The falcon doors won't even open all the way in his garage.

It's impractical for most people.
As an owner of a Dec16 Model X I don't think they're appropriate for the Model Y. Other people have mentioned the increased complexity, cost and weight of them. The other thing that people don't think about is that they really only work on vehicles that are on the tall side. Even when they're extended above the roof there are situations where they can be problematic. If you park near a curb, especially a tall one, and people are walking by the FWD will actually be right at head-height of a tall person on the sidewalk. Our school principal has to duck under our door so I park further away from the curb than anyone else. Also, generally speaking they don't work perfectly, even now.

I think it's pretty obvious that everyone on this forum is anxious for a Y. To that end the Y should be a conservative tweak of the model 3. AWD, a bit more road clearance (like pretty much all SUVs and crossovers), 10% larger (as EM mentioned), 10% more expensive (as EM mentioned), and a bit less range (as EM mentioned).

So no 400 mile range, no gullwing doors, and no radical redesigns.

One thing I'm hoping for is the AP3 hardware, previous mentioned by Tesla as shipping in 2019 and in heavy testing by Tesla employees in 2018. I'm all for more smarts to help make the care safer. Some other tweaks I can imagine or extending the camp in the car functionality (temp controlled, all interior lights off, enough airflow to prevent condensation). If possible a bio weapon defense mode, after all a cross over is likely to see much more fire, dust, pollen, camp sites, trail heads, etc.

Not sure I'd want Tesla to waste space, power, weight, money etc on a 110v inverter. But access to DC power via lighter/usb/something for small appliances, camp lights, ham radios, etc. Ideally at a bit more than the 5 watt USB standard.

On my wish list is one big dial on the console for adjusting temp/radio/follow distance in addition to the normal balls on the steering wheel. Driver interaction with the touchscreen should be minimized... at least if that's what the driver wants. I don't want a zillion buttons, just one nice clean dial.

Oh, one last thing, no piano black plastic ANYWHERE.