Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y DIY Xpel Ultimate PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone think the XPEL Stealth (matte finish) PPF would be significantly harder to install? Given that it is not meant as a see-through layer, I would assume every imperfection is visible and you would have to spend much more time getting every panel down perfectly. Also will be committed to obviously do the entire car and not just the front and rocker panels.

Does anyone think the XPEL Stealth (matte finish) PPF would be significantly harder to install? Given that it is not meant as a see-through layer, I would assume every imperfection is visible and you would have to spend much more time getting every panel down perfectly. Also will be committed to obviously do the entire car and not just the front and rocker panels.
I wouldn't install the XPEL Stealth via precuts as you'll see the edges unless you're very good at stretching and sealing the edges all the way.

Reactions: Manbutter
In my personal opinion, any satin finish PPF looks bad. They make cars look cheap and non finished look. Also, it is very hard to keep it clean. Small defect/scratch/stains will show a lot more than regular PPF and will always have "not clean" appearance.
It looks okay when freshly washed and parked, but as soon as you drive around, it gets dirty very quick

It looks okay when freshly washed and parked, but as soon as you drive around, it gets dirty very quick
I would think if one waxed or applied one of those nano protections on them they'd appear clean just a long? My assumption was the satin wouldn't ever look as clean as a newly cleaned car but a clean (shiny) car would show build up on the paint between washes in a way that was more noticiable than a satin finish (other than black).

So even with the PPF fully on top of the sensors without cutouts, your car is still reading distances fine? I don’t want it to freak out on me and phantom brake or something.

Anyone else not do cutouts on the PPF?
Sorry for the late response, been out of town for several days.

Yes, PPF is fully covering the sensors and I have had zero issues at all. I've had my PPF for well over a year now.

Phantom braking won't be an issue because the PPF will not cover the cameras, only the ultrasonic sensors. And I've had no issues at all. Sensors and distances work fine and are accurate.

Reactions: Manbutter
Sorry for the late response, been out of town for several days.

Yes, PPF is fully covering the sensors and I have had zero issues at all. I've had my PPF for well over a year now.

Phantom braking won't be an issue because the PPF will not cover the cameras, only the ultrasonic sensors. And I've had no issues at all. Sensors and distances work fine and are accurate.
I second this response. Having had the PPF on top of the sensors (both front and rear bumpers), the sensors are still functioning perfectly and measuring distance accurately. 1000 miles so far.

I second this response. Having had the PPF on top of the sensors (both front and rear bumpers), the sensors are still functioning perfectly and measuring distance accurately. 1000 miles so far.
The issue with the PPF on top of the sensors is if it isn't cut out, it creates a 'bubble' since there's uneven surface level of the bumper, the circular rubber outline and the sensor. the PPF will create a sort of bubble if you know what i mean.

The issue with the PPF on top of the sensors is if it isn't cut out, it creates a 'bubble' since there's uneven surface level of the bumper, the circular rubber outline and the sensor. the PPF will create a sort of bubble if you know what i mean.
Have seen that and also in colder climates I have seen condensation form in that bubble that turns to ice. Just cut it as they suggest.