Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Driving with FSD Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As to FSD, it's a Beta product and to use it you sign that you will be ready to take over at all times, because it can do the worst thing at the worst time. If we all let FSD drive us around, we would all wreck. It's level 2, which means the driver is still responsible and in control...maybe eventually it will be able to actually drive, but that's not where it is now.

Was she injured?

Teslas are very safe in protecting passengers. The best way to protect the passenger is for the car to absorb the impact, like shown in your pictures. That's why they are lauded in crash test, not because the car is fine, but the occupants are.
She was fine, and the front passenge was fine too because of the seat belt.

The mom in-law in the rear back was badly injured because she was not buckled up. I think she learned it in a very hard way.

All,

This is my first time to leave a post in this website and I just want to share some experience with you all. My wife was driving the Model Y with FSD driving in the local.
  • The vehicle was driving in location A of figure below (left lane of two lanes on Spring Cypress Rd).
  • The vehicle was supposed to make a right turn to Louetta Rd position C.
  • Because there is another vehicle on its right, my Model Y could not change the lane from left to the right before its turn.
  • However, per the map, my Model Y needs to make its right turn at the corner; it is not supposed to do so, because only the right lane can make the right turn.
  • At the corner, FSD was thinking hard about what to do before its turn. After the other vehicle passed, it decided to make the right turn.
  • After the right turn at a very low speed, it speeds up hitting into a community sign (position B in the Figure) causing the collision. The computer thought that was a lane to drive, but it is not.
Bug of the FSD: the computer is supposed to think ahead by changing the lane from the left to the right much earlier before it is supposed to make the right turn. It cannot change the lane at the last minute before its turn. Beyond that, the vehicle failed to see road edge and a big community sign in front of it.

Question: the vehicle was smoking at the first few seconds, but stopped after that. Both two front air bags are deployed. As you can see from pictures below, do you know how Tesla insurance will handle case like this? We are in communicating with the insurance and estimate center, but it just takes time, especially in Holiday season to come.

View attachment 997616

View attachment 997621

View attachment 997622

View attachment 997623
Sorry to hear about your accident. I have pretty good experience with Tesla insurance, just file the claim through the app, it will guide you to take all the pictures. Once the adjuster responded, then he or she will guide you the method of communications and the next step, don't waste time calling the numbers, wait for the adjuster. In my case, I got a response within couple of days and then all communications mostly through text/email, all responded within 24 hours and everything works great with collision center. In your case, it is likely totaled.

FSD on the highway is relatively more reliable, but on the local city street, all bets are off. I have a handful experiences if I don't stop it and let it go, it will crash or kill me, often it is related to turning into wrong lane and speed up quickly, excessive speed before making a turn but the target lane is actually narrow and it cannot / too late to realize there is an island in between lanes. Unfortunately, you are still responsible for their mistakes or never complete features.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
the vehicle was turning at a very low speed around 4-5 miles/hour; once the turn is completed, it speeds up right away to 40miles/hour within a few seconds.
From my experience, FSDb does not accelerate that fast...

I think my wife missed that critical moment to disengage it, because the machine was confused.
From just what you have said, I would guess that your wife realized it wasn't going well and decided to press the brakes to stop it, but got the pedals messed up and pressed the accelerator instead.

From just what you have said, I would guess that your wife realized it wasn't going well and decided to press the brakes to stop it, but got the pedals messed up and pressed the accelerator instead.
That's not true.

Per my wife's confirmation, the vehicle speeds up by itself into an area out of the lane after the turn. She didn't do anything during the turn and the collision. I am also curious at how the vehicle failed to identify the road is not a drive way, but still decided to speed up.

I will have to wait until I can pull out footage video clips from the USB. Once they are available, I will share with you all here later.

The insurance responded us within 24 hours, so far Tesla insurance appears to be behavoring well. I also uploaded pictures through the app and setup appointment to have the vehicle evaluated in their own shop. The insurance will send assigned injury adjuster to evaluate the medical issue with my mom-in law. Not sure how it will go...

Glad that she is fine. She will be considered at fault for insurance purposes. FSD clearly states that you need to supervise it all the time. If it's doing something fishy you take over. I have been in many of these situations and if I did not take over I would have shared her fate.

Per my wife's confirmation,

Tesla will be able to tell you what (if any) pedals were pushed. People are notoriously bad at remembering exactly what happened specifically, especially in situations where they are startled, scared, etc.

I will have to wait until I can pull out footage video clips from the USB. Once they are available, I will share with you all here later.

I dont know how that USB footage will show anything except the vehicle accelerating, it certainly wont show if pedals were pushed or not. Like I said, Tesla will be able to tell you that, though.

I have free FSD Beta until early January (one of those referral codes) and I no longer use it. Absolutely nerve wrecking. Makes me constantly nervous. Cannot trust it. Unless in some highways with little or no traffic. One time, it almost ran over over (I intervened) a pedestrian with a dog clearly on her “Walk” light on a right turn with “no turn on Red“ big sign. That was the moment I said enough is enough.

Very sorry for the accident, your car, and your MIL

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I believe our Tesla insurance will pay for all the loss after our deductbile, we are not much concerned about it.

The only concern is how Tesla will handle the case, will it be repaired, or totalled? And will the accident damage our insurance record? I guess it does. Just don't know how much the insurance will increase because of the collision.

By the way, the police also give my wife a ticket to show up in a court, I guess she has to admit all fault in the accident, not controling the speed in the collision, am I correct? It is our first time experience living in this country, no clue at what to do...
If you're going to be in court for this ticket, I recommend you find and hire an attorney with expertise in traffic tickets to advise and assist you - especially since you're new to this country. Your ticket, your money, your call, but it might be helpful to do so.

Also, very sorry to hear your MIL was injured, and hope she recovers quickly.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
Many consumers are not trained Test Pilots. Test Pilots are already trained that their airplanes are unsafe for public use.

Consumers even heard that FSD is achieving level 4 or 5 this year, 2023, which is only 23 more days, so what could go wrong?

Disinformation trains consumers to even rely more on FSD technology to save them in accident scenarios like in this thread.

Trained pilot, this is a very good point.

When I purchased this vehicle with FSD, it took me quite a few months to get trained before FSD was released. I spent $12000 waiting for about 3-4 months to get trained for that FSD. I believe I was granted the FSD because of high safety score (>95).

My wife took it over without proper train as the way I went through. She was driving the vehicle with FSD for about 7 months. I warned her some driving habbit even the day before the accident. I am thinking if the cause of this accident is because she was not trained well or not. From all I can recall, she might not be well trained.

The questions are:
1. How Tesla is able to tell if the driver went through proper training before he/she can use the FSD? As you know, everyone can use FSD once it is there. Tesla will only warn you it is driver's responsiblity to cautiously drive well with FSD.
2. Should the driver be trained well he/she is allowed to use the FSD?
3. I am not trying to make any problems with Tesla, but am just thinking about how FSD can be improved or learn from the accident.

I believe our Tesla insurance will pay for all the loss after our deductbile, we are not much concerned about it.

The only concern is how Tesla will handle the case, will it be repaired, or totalled? And will the accident damage our insurance record? I guess it does. Just don't know how much the insurance will increase because of the collision.

By the way, the police also give my wife a ticket to show up in a court, I guess she has to admit all fault in the accident, not controling the speed in the collision, am I correct? It is our first time experience living in this country, no clue at what to do...

If you're going to be in court for this ticket, I recommend you find and hire an attorney with expertise in traffic tickets to advise and assist you - especially since you're new to this country. Your ticket, your money, your call, but it might be helpful to do so.

Also, very sorry to hear your MIL was injured, and hope she recovers quickly.
Thank you for the kind suggestion.

We imigrate into the country for about 20 years and I think we are not new, but it was our first time experience living in this country going through such a big car accident. We have been driving very well in the past.

To sue Tesla for the accident won't be practical. #1, my wife was at fault; #2, Tesla claimed it will be driver's responsibility for all accidents using FSD, it was clear to everyone. #3, Tesla is huge, we won't have enough time and money and other resources to fight such a huge company with their legal team.

Generally, FSD doesn’t accelerate quickly but on occasion it does. Either way I would question why your wife didn’t take over when it started stuttering at the turn, or at least have her foot on the brake and hands on the wheel. Clearly it was having difficulty and there was a high likelihood that it would fail in a critical situation where immediate takeover would be necessary.

To sue Tesla for the accident won't be practical. #1, my wife was at fault; #2, Tesla claimed it will be driver's responsibility for all accidents using FSD, it was clear to everyone. #3, Tesla is huge, we won't have enough time and money and other resources to fight such a huge company with their legal team.
Yes - FSD is still considered ‘level 2’ automation meaning it‘s in the same category as cruise control and the driver is technically in charge even if the car is turning the wheel. They also have several disclaimers when enabling it advising drivers to keep their hands on the wheel because it can behave unexpectedly. Any lawsuit would be difficult at best.

Trained pilot, this is a very good point.

When I purchased this vehicle with FSD, it took me quite a few months to get trained before FSD was released. I spent $12000 waiting for about 3-4 months to get trained for that FSD. I believe I was granted the FSD because of high safety score (>95).

My wife took it over without proper train as the way I went through. She was driving the vehicle with FSD for about 7 months. I warned her some driving habbit even the day before the accident. I am thinking if the cause of this accident is because she was not trained well or not. From all I can recall, she might not be well trained.

The questions are:
1. How Tesla is able to tell if the driver went through proper training before he/she can use the FSD? As you know, everyone can use FSD once it is there. Tesla will only warn you it is driver's responsiblity to cautiously drive well with FSD.
2. Should the driver be trained well he/she is allowed to use the FSD?
3. I am not trying to make any problems with Tesla, but am just thinking about how FSD can be improved or learn from the accident.

I will point back to what I said in in a previous post in this thread:

ts always the drivers fault, regardless of what happened / happens.

The driver is responsible, always.

I am sorry for your accident, and injury to your monther in law.