Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y for Canada!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, here’s my MY (yes, I just did that) delivery report:

- Overall, pretty good!

- Paint: I have the Pearl White, and all the paint matches, although your eyes, the paint, and the sun sure play tricks on you. I could make myself believe that panels were different colours if I really wanted to. I took one picture in particular where one 1/2 of the bumper panel looked yellow, and the other half looked as it should, while the panels adjacent looked normal. I had one chip on the front fender near the windshield - they tried to repair it, but didn’t do a great job. I’m getting paint correction and PPF tomorrow so I’m hoping they’ll be able to sort it out a bit better. There was a weird dollop of paint near the rear hatch that myself, my friend, and the SA thought was a really poor repair job. Turns out it was just a dollop of paint that they were able to rub/remove/probably scratch off. Otherwise, paint looks very good. 9/10.

- Gaps/Alignment: charge port, perfect. Hatch fitting, decent. Wheel wells/trim, perfect. The new door indent thing happening near the bottom is minor in my car. The front rocker on the right side is aligned poorly with the headlight, they agreed it wasn’t good, but they couldn’t fix it there. They noted it on my account. The gap between the left and right sides of the fenders are noticeable - one exists, one is really tight. Not a huge deal

- Interior: pretty flawless. A couple of marks on the headliner, and the most bothersome issue I didn’t notice until I was driving away. A nick/gouge in the steering wheel at the top. It’s tiny, but now that it’s seen, it can’t be unseen of course. I’ll probably shoot them a note.

- SA: Nick was super nice. Very chill. Happy to note everything. Took the car back inside to see if they could fix the panel alignment niggles.

FWIW, I took delivery of a BMW 3 series about 10 years ago, also white (flat, not pearl). They had to completely polish the exterior because it had swirl marks everywhere. Whomever detailed this brand new car decided to completely mar the finish. There were some interior misalignments and some inconsistent panel gaps and a few scratches on the wheels. If I’m to compare the QC between the two, I’d say Tesla in this instance comes out on top - just slightly. My SA said that his experience has been if a car has one decent issue, it has a ton (typically - I think he said something like “they are a nightmare”), but most of them have something minor and are pretty good all around.

Last edited:
Reactions: richyrich
Well picked up my Model Y today at Vancouver Delivery Centre (very busy, probably at least 15 deliveries during the time I was there). Pearl white paint, black interior, 19" wheels.
Car was pretty good. Drivers door misaligned, and hood slightly misaligned. Service personnel did their magic, and made the necessary corrections. Slight misalignment of tailgate but it was acceptable.
Long drive back to home with a quick stop at the Hope Supercharger. Car drove beautifully home (despite the pelting rain).

• Love
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I don't mean to drag the thread off topic but this does seem relevant to Canadian Model Y owners. I was hoping to buy some 19" wheels from Tesla and then put some Hakkapeliitta tires on them for winter. Any suggestions on how I would do that? The Tesla website doesn't appear to sell the wheels separately, or at all actually, for the Model Y.

I don't mean to drag the thread off topic but this does seem relevant to Canadian Model Y owners. I was hoping to buy some 19" wheels from Tesla and then put some Hakkapeliitta tires on them for winter. Any suggestions on how I would do that? The Tesla website doesn't appear to sell the wheels separately, or at all actually, for the Model Y.

My service rep said to order them though the service centre (Calgary for me) and tell them that you only want the rims. I have not done this yet so I don’t know more than that. It was also Aug 22nd when I was told that so I might be miss remembering. I would suggest that you reach out to your nearest service centre and ask them.

Still no VIN for my Model Y ordered on August 22, not sure if it has to do with the trade in or the hitch.

Delivery estimate on my Model Y is now showing as three to five weeks from order date. I ordered Aug 22nd so that makes the five weeks tomorrow (Sept 26). I am going to say that we may not be seeing it before the end of the month, which is not so bad as the electrician needs to replace the breaker panel due to it using obsolete breakers. Now to see which will happen first, the car arriving or the charger getting installed.

Delivery estimate on my Model Y is now showing as three to five weeks from order date. I ordered Aug 22nd so that makes the five weeks tomorrow (Sept 26). I am going to say that we may not be seeing it before the end of the month, which is not so bad as the electrician needs to replace the breaker panel due to it using obsolete breakers. Now to see which will happen first, the car arriving or the charger getting installed.

Which trim/colour did you order?

You should expect delivery within a week, I reckon. Calgary Teslas have a whole bunch of Model Ys all pre-sold.

Which trim/colour did you order?

You should expect delivery within a week, I reckon. Calgary Teslas have a whole bunch of Model Ys all pre-sold.

I just got an email from my service rep and it is looking like the middle of October for delivery. I was kind of hoping to have it for a little while before the snow flies, but it is not looking like that is going to happen.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I just got an email from my service rep and it is looking like the middle of October for delivery. I was kind of hoping to have it for a little while before the snow flies, but it is not looking like that is going to happen.

Interesting. I wonder if the hitch is what delayed it but two to three more weeks isn't much.

Hopefully the snow doesn't arrive until at least middle of November. LOL.

Are you planning on getting winter tires?

Interesting. I wonder if the hitch is what delayed it but two to three more weeks isn't much.

Hopefully the snow doesn't arrive until at least middle of November. LOL.

Are you planning on getting winter tires?

I got a phone call from my rep in Calgary almost Immediately after sending my response and she confirmed that yes it is the tow package that is holding up me getting the car. Another thing that I was told was that they make Canadian cars for a month then switch to making US cars for a month then switch back. She said that this was due to different safety requirements for each country, but I was under the impression that the design was harmonized for North America. If that is the case I wonder what the difference is between the Canadian model Ys and the American ones?

Yes I will be getting winter tires, there is no way I am ever driving in winter without winter tires again. I asked the rep while I had her on the phone if I could order some 19” rims for my winter tires and she said that they are still listed in the system as coming, she recommended buying third party rims and tires if I wanted them in time for when the snow flies. I am hoping that it will be November but this year has been messed up enough as it is so I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

• Informative
I got a phone call from my rep in Calgary almost Immediately after sending my response and she confirmed that yes it is the tow package that is holding up me getting the car. Another thing that I was told was that they make Canadian cars for a month then switch to making US cars for a month then switch back.

I ordered on Aug 31 and took delivery Sept 11 (Vancouver) and had the tow package, so not sure I would believe that explanation. I got black paint, 20" wheels and FSD so maybe they prioritized higher margin builds for end of quarter delivery.

I got a phone call from my rep in Calgary almost Immediately after sending my response and she confirmed that yes it is the tow package that is holding up me getting the car. Another thing that I was told was that they make Canadian cars for a month then switch to making US cars for a month then switch back. She said that this was due to different safety requirements for each country, but I was under the impression that the design was harmonized for North America. If that is the case I wonder what the difference is between the Canadian model Ys and the American ones?

Yes I will be getting winter tires, there is no way I am ever driving in winter without winter tires again. I asked the rep while I had her on the phone if I could order some 19” rims for my winter tires and she said that they are still listed in the system as coming, she recommended buying third party rims and tires if I wanted them in time for when the snow flies. I am hoping that it will be November but this year has been messed up enough as it is so I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

If you're going after market, have you decided what you will go with? I'm leaning towards Replikas myself... with Nokian Hakkas as I've been using Nokian since 2010 with no issues.

If you're going after market, have you decided what you will go with? I'm leaning towards Replikas myself... with Nokian Hakkas as I've been using Nokian since 2010 with no issues.

No I have not, I still have research to do and life is getting in the way at the moment. Though I will take suggestions on what tires to look at. I will have a look at the ones you mentioned.

My Canadian Model-Y order experience so far:

Ordered White on White LR with 20" wheels on Sept 8. Took delivery at Lawrence Ave. Toronto location on Sept16. Pointed out about a half-dozen items to the Tesla advisor who took photos and notes for; mostly panel/trim alignment and paint scuffs/blemishes.

Booked a Service appointment through the Tesla app so items could be repaired/adjusted. Within minutes received a text that my service appointment had been cancelled by Tesla and was referred to two 3rd party Tesla approved shops elsewhere in the GTA.

Went to Excellence Auto in Scarborough who had no record of any of my items noted during delivery and had to do another walk around with one of their staff to point those items out again. Was told by Excellence Auto they will present the items to Tesla with a quote for them to proceed with work. Waiting for Excellence Auto to contact me with next steps.

Excellence Auto indicated they are handling the overflow of Tesla delivery issues which is now the main car brand their operations are dealing with these days.

• Informative
My Canadian Model-Y order experience so far:

Ordered White on White LR with 20" wheels on Sept 8. Took delivery at Lawrence Ave. Toronto location on Sept16. Pointed out about a half-dozen items to the Tesla advisor who took photos and notes for; mostly panel/trim alignment and paint scuffs/blemishes.

Booked a Service appointment through the Tesla app so items could be repaired/adjusted. Within minutes received a text that my service appointment had been cancelled by Tesla and was referred to two 3rd party Tesla approved shops elsewhere in the GTA.

Went to Excellence Auto in Scarborough who had no record of any of my items noted during delivery and had to do another walk around with one of their staff to point those items out again. Was told by Excellence Auto they will present the items to Tesla with a quote for them to proceed with work. Waiting for Excellence Auto to contact me with next steps.

Excellence Auto indicated they are handling the overflow of Tesla delivery issues which is now the main car brand their operations are dealing with these days.
I got the same message today. Are they going to offer courtesy car?