Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y for Canada!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up our MY today. Never even ridden in a Tesla before. Have now been for a few drives this afternoon. Love it.

We have a charging port door misalignment (not serious) and a 2 cm scuff on one piece of black trim. Other than that, all good. Panel gaps are fine, suspension bolts are on :D, rear seats fold down when the buttons are pressed. We're really happy.

Lawrence delivery center is a disaster though lol

Sorry you felt it was a disaster. I had the opposite experience. We were there at noon on a Saturday near quarter end. There's probably no busier time. The process was great. There were no licence plates on the car, which surprised our delivery advisor, but that got fixed within a few minutes, while we were looking over the car. The liner in the frunk wasn't properly attached on one corner; I didn't want to push too hard, so mentioned it, and within minutes a guy came out, pushed hard, explained how it works, and we were done.

Overall, a perfectly pleasant experience. And nothing remotely approaching "a disaster". For us, anyway.

Now excuse me, I have about eleventy billion things I need to go try out with my new car. :)

Reactions: Koolio46
Glad to hear your delivery went good! Our vins are very close 457xx is ours. Honestly the girl handling our delivery was pretty clueless. I pointed out the chip in the rim and she replied with "Its not a safety concern so they won't fix it"
I explained I wanted it fixed and she had someone come out and immediately said they would 100% fix it.

This is my third Tesla and honestly probably the worst delivery experience ( Car wasn't even washed it had paint maker on the paint labeling it for transport) I also had to wait 20mins for them to move 3 cars and a tow truck to pull the car out of the spot.

Overall though build quality far exceeded my expectations after reading this forum for a month LOL.

Last edited:
Also took delivery at Lawrence today. They were very busy and I had to wait 45 minutes beyond appointment time to get started.

Build quality was very good. Some very minor panel alignment and gap issues, but nothing I'd want them to fix.

On leaving I noticed that the driver's door requires a pretty hard slam to fully close. I scheduled a mobile service to correct it and also install homelink,

At first, any attempt to to use Spotify or tune-in was met with a message that premium connectivity had expired This was concerning but after a couple of hours started to sort itself out. First with a message on the screen that the 1 year subscription had started. Then an email with the same message. Half an hour later traffic updates showed on the maps, and then Tune-in, then Spotify, then Netflix each about 10 minutes apart. In total, about 3 hours unitl it all worked properly. I don't remember this happening when we got the Model 3 last year.

The model 3 we traded was on version 2020.36.10. The Y is at 2020.32.4.

SA had told us the build date was Aug 31, but the door plate shows Sept 2020. VIN is 45XXX.

Finally, when I plugged it in to the wall charger tonight the blue light came on then went off and charging didn't start. That had me worried. Tried a few times with the same result. Then just plugged it in and waited and after about 30 seconds it started charging. This never happened with the Model 3 which would start charging right away. Don't know if there's a problem or if that's just the way the Model Y works, Or if there is a "getting to know each other" thing that has to happen the first time the wall charger is connected to a new vehicle.

Other than that, my first impression is that the car is wonderful.

• Helpful
Reactions: Koolio46
(Cross posted in Canada section).

I picked up my new Model Y yesterday. One thing I didn't think to inspect was the license plates.

I just noticed that the plate expiry is Dec 2020, this for a fee of $209.

When I was told the fee was $209, I assumed that would take me until my birthday in Dec 2021. My bad for not checking before I left the Lawrence delivery location.

$209 for 2 1/2 months is ridiculous. Worse, it means I have to get a renewal almost immediately. Hoping this was a mistake and that they will make it right. I will call tomorrow.

For anyone else that took a recent delivery, please check and let us know if your plate expiry looks ok.

Thanks

I can't be sure, but I agree with you that it looks like a mistake. I picked up yesterday as well at Lawrence. My birthday's in November. Mine is plated to Nov 2021 and my licence fee was either $199 or $200, depending on whether you looked at the MVPA or my account page on the website. I paid the higher price and told them to keep the change if it was wrong.

(Cross posted in Canada section).

I picked up my new Model Y yesterday. One thing I didn't think to inspect was the license plates.

When I was told the fee was $209, I assumed that would take me until my birthday in Dec 2021. My bad for not checking before I left the Lawrence delivery location.

$209 for 2 1/2 months is ridiculous. Worse, it means I have to get a renewal almost immediately. Hoping this was a mistake and that they will make it right. I will call tomorrow.

For anyone else that took a recent delivery, please check and let us know if your plate expiry looks ok.

Thanks

Huh...never thought about that...I got mine up until Feb 2021. Picked up in August. So only six months. :confused:...can you let me know what they say when you ask? CheerS!

I got insurance for my MY from TD. with 1M liability and $500 deductible they quote me $2800. I am in York region. did you guys get a better price? I am sure it is more expensive in Toronto though!
BTW, I will pick it up from Lawrence today. will let you know how it goes!

I got insurance for my MY from TD. with 1M liability and $500 deductible they quote me $2800. I am in York region. did you guys get a better price? I am sure it is more expensive in Toronto though!
BTW, I will pick it up from Lawrence today. will let you know how it goes!

I got a quote from "The Personal" Insurance company for $1650. $1000 deductible.

On another note, has anyone recently received any new delivery estimate text messages? Last one I got was 9/9 (2-3 weeks to go). Ordered on 07/21 out west.

I've had my MY since July and loving it. Unfortunately a rock hit the windshield and caused a huge crack. Anyone know how much that will cost me to repair? I've got a call into Tesla, waiting to hear back. Not sure if I will pay for it or claim it.
Depends on your deductible. I had the same issue with my M3. cost me $1000 to replace. I changed the comprehensive deductible to $250 for MY for that reason.

I picked it up yesterday from Lawrence. Delivery experience wasn't too bad to be honest. some minor cosmetic issues, Front trunk alignment, some inside doors paint defects. Overall a pleasant experience.
Oh, one thing, I requested to use my old plates from M3, but they got me a new set, around $150 loss. they gave us some tesla toy cars for the LO! no biggie! VIN# 45xxx

I picked it up yesterday from Lawrence. Delivery experience wasn't too bad to be honest. some minor cosmetic issues, Front trunk alignment, some inside doors paint defects. Overall a pleasant experience.
Oh, one thing, I requested to use my old plates from M3, but they got me a new set, around $150 loss. they gave us some tesla toy cars for the LO! no biggie! VIN# 45xxx

haha pretty sure I saw you receiving those toys and giving them to your kids if this was around 4:30-5:00 @ Lawrence.
Picked up my MY yesterday as well. (Black on Black, Inductions, no FSD/tow).
Mild gap on rear passenger door, urethane stuck to roof, scratches on rear qp, front right speaker loose...nothing insane.
They cleaned up/solved the last three immediately and I'm doing a full sweep of the car today to log a service ticket. I'll be using the Inspect T app from the app store.

Overall, I love the car. Very content that there wasn't anything horrifically wrong with it and looking forward to putting some km's on!

Reactions: Bamiri
haha pretty sure I saw you receiving those toys and giving them to your kids if this was around 4:30-5:00 @ Lawrence.
Picked up my MY yesterday as well. (Black on Black, Inductions, no FSD/tow).
Mild gap on rear passenger door, urethane stuck to roof, scratches on rear qp, front right speaker loose...nothing insane.
They cleaned up/solved the last three immediately and I'm doing a full sweep of the car today to log a service ticket. I'll be using the Inspect T app from the app store.

Overall, I love the car. Very content that there wasn't anything horrifically wrong with it and looking forward to putting some km's on!
Yes! that was us lol
Just downloaded the Inspect T app. Looks good. I will be using it. Thanks