Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y heat pump issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be multiple "root causes". The initial heatpump/supermanifolds that came out seem to have had flaws. Many of the 2020 MYs had to have them replaced due to no heat. By sometime in early 2021 they had iterated through some designs and as of then the heathump/supermanifolds have been reliable.

I base the above on my experience - my April 2021 MYLR build lost heat on Dec 23 in -14C weather and the techs evaluated my car remotely and quickly came to the conclusion that my heatpump/supermanifold was not the issue directly. To reinforce that diagnosis, my heat started working again on the next drive (the outside temps warmed up a bit).

issue #1 - M3/MY builds up to early 2021 might have faulty equipment (heatpumps/supermanifolds).

Then there is the diagnosis of what happened in my case. The techs determined that in some cases in cold/snowy weather the front flap sticks open and the cold air was triggering the software to believe there was a fault in the heatpump and shutting down the heat entirely. The software fix that came in 2021.44.30.6 and .7 was to tell the software to keep the heatpump running even if the input temps are too low (such as when the grill is stuck open).

issue #2 - Sensor readings caused by front grill cause heat to be disabled. This seems to now be solved.

I doubt that the above two issues will be the end of the story. For one, Tesla has asked me to bring in my MY this coming week for an inspection. So perhaps there is something else they are looking into. Also, I'm wondering about the front grill/flap. If the conditions I was driving in were enough to cause that to stick open then I think there is more work needed there. It wasn't particularly wet or snowy out (though it was quite cold and windy) - I wonder about the robustness of the louvers to handle conditions when they are significantly worse than I experienced.

Reactions: DrGriz
There seems to be multiple "root causes". The initial heatpump/supermanifolds that came out seem to have had flaws. Many of the 2020 MYs had to have them replaced due to no heat. By sometime in early 2021 they had iterated through some designs and as of then the heathump/supermanifolds have been reliable.

I base the above on my experience - my April 2021 MYLR build lost heat on Dec 23 in -14C weather and the techs evaluated my car remotely and quickly came to the conclusion that my heatpump/supermanifold was not the issue directly. To reinforce that diagnosis, my heat started working again on the next drive (the outside temps warmed up a bit).

issue #1 - M3/MY builds up to early 2021 might have faulty equipment (heatpumps/supermanifolds).

Then there is the diagnosis of what happened in my case. The techs determined that in some cases in cold/snowy weather the front flap sticks open and the cold air was triggering the software to believe there was a fault in the heatpump and shutting down the heat entirely. The software fix that came in 2021.44.30.6 and .7 was to tell the software to keep the heatpump running even if the input temps are too low (such as when the grill is stuck open).

issue #2 - Sensor readings caused by front grill cause heat to be disabled. This seems to now be solved.

I doubt that the above two issues will be the end of the story. For one, Tesla has asked me to bring in my MY this coming week for an inspection. So perhaps there is something else they are looking into. Also, I'm wondering about the front grill/flap. If the conditions I was driving in were enough to cause that to stick open then I think there is more work needed there. It wasn't particularly wet or snowy out (though it was quite cold and windy) - I wonder about the robustness of the louvers to handle conditions when they are significantly worse than I experienced.
Sounds like the louvers are supposed to close (otherwise why have them) and there are sensors to detect that. So it seems obvious there needs to be more than a software fix to ignore them. Otherwise why have them and the sensors.

Sounds like the louvers are supposed to close (otherwise why have them) and there are sensors to detect that. So it seems obvious there needs to be more than a software fix to ignore them. Otherwise why have them and the sensors.
It's my understanding that sensors are suppose to monitor heat pump. not the louvers. When heat pump works as intended it should warm up the sensors, but open louvers are keeping temp too low making Tesla think that heat pump has failed. The update was to ignore heat pump sensors and don't shut it off even when sensors show lower than expected temperature.

It's my understanding that sensors are suppose to monitor heat pump. not the louvers. When heat pump works as intended it should warm up the sensors, but open louvers are keeping temp too low making Tesla think that heat pump has failed. The update was to ignore heat pump sensors and don't shut it off even when sensors show lower than expected temperature.
Thanks for the clarification. So with a software fix, if the heat pump actually does fail, the sensors will ignore it and Tesla will fail to shut down the heat pump as designed, potentially causing further damage. I mean, the system has to be there for a reason.

Reactions: buddhafree
I for one am going to cut a piece of cardboard to put in front of the grill, like I did with my old Fords. If it gets below 10 degrees Fahrenheit I'll cover the louvers! Just my thoughts FWIW

People who don't experience colder than -15 celcius commenting here...you're not helping. Your disbelief isn't helping. We live in an apartment. We drive to charge. We park at a LVL 2 charger overnight and pick up the car in the morning (with our ice (Audi) car). When we pick it up the entire way back home it's blowing ice cold air. When the car is in our underground garage the HVAC is fine, but you drive it outside and the issue returns within 10 minutes.

People live in Canada and Norway and Russia and Sweden and Ukraine and Poland, (and the rust belt and Montana and North Dakota) etc. These people all regularly experience COLD weather for weeks at a time. For lots, parking in a heated garage is NOT an option. Keeping the front grille clear of snow and ice and salt and dirt is NOT an option. Stop pretending this is some fringe case. This snow and salt and ice buildup in cars for multiple days combined with -15C or colder for multiple days in a row is NORMAL. It is not extreme. Only thing that's extreme is the level of naivety when thinking such weather is somehow extreme. You can pick off the snow and ice and wash the salt, but driving for 5 minutes will put it all back onto your car. Kicking off ice buildup from wheel wells can be satisfying, but ultimately pointless. Those who don't drive here shouldn't be commenting. Just follow along and listen, perhaps share stories of HVAC failing in high heat.

• Informative
Reactions: Prax and andaconda
Has anyone here actually had the service done? How long does it take? If you can't recognize the picture, it's the Orphan Girl Headframe in Butte, Montana...so, yeah, it gets cold here.
Yep I live just 25 miles to your west. I had my pump issues taken care of April 2021. They replaced a couple sensors. They came to the house picked up the car put it on a flatbed, transported it to Spokane and then brought it back three days later. Can’t say I’ve had any other problems other than my feet being a little cold. The heat has never actually shut itself off like some of the others. But here is my solution right below this. I intend on putting this grill cover in when I’m on the highway and it’s below zero! I made it out of cardboard and black duck tape. It’s just held in by friction, and it fits nicely in the front trunk.
9050DAEF-4A3A-4869-B7E9-C65844A211C0.jpeg

I know for a fact that my front shutters never close! They don’t even close when it is preheating for supercharging. I was in Helena a few weeks ago when it was down to about 10°F and I could only get 65KWH out of a 250kwh charger! So this is my solution, take it or leave it.

Attachments

• F7BC8AA5-E6D7-44E2-A170-F8B230FB0478.jpeg
    F7BC8AA5-E6D7-44E2-A170-F8B230FB0478.jpeg
    727.6 KB · Views: 92
My heat failed 25 miles outside of Salt Lake after picking up the car. So it was a damn cold ride home! If your heat fails you sure will know it. The only way I could get warm on the way home was to put the heat on Max. Then it roasted me out and I had to shut it off again. Rinse and repeat.

Yep I live just 25 miles to your west. I had my pump issues taken care of April 2021. They replaced a couple sensors. They came to the house picked up the car put it on a flatbed, transported it to Spokane and then brought it back three days later. Can’t say I’ve had any other problems other than my feet being a little cold. The heat has never actually shut itself off like some of the others. But here is my solution right below this. I intend on putting this grill cover in when I’m on the highway and it’s below zero! I made it out of cardboard and black duck tape. It’s just held in by friction, and it fits nicely in the front trunk.View attachment 758114
I know for a fact that my front shutters never close! They don’t even close when it is preheating for supercharging. I was in Helena a few weeks ago when it was down to about 10°F and I could only get 65KWH out of a 250kwh charger! So this is my solution, take it or leave it.
I can absolutely see snow/ice getting up in there and freezing them open. I thought about a 12V hair dryer, but depending on the situation, that might not work. I like your old school solution. Throw it in the frunk or something. Certainly did that with my older rigs in the day.

I can absolutely see snow/ice getting up in there and freezing them open. I thought about a 12V hair dryer, but depending on the situation, that might not work. I like your old school solution. Throw it in the frunk or something. Certainly did that with my older rigs in the day.
Ya, I hear you. I had my Ford radiators covered 5~6 months out of the year! Mine are clean and debris free. If the louvers would close I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm too swine headed to put in a service ticket and have mobile service travel 300 miles, just to tell me that they are closing properly. I can spy with my little eye that they indeed DO NOT close, and probably never have.

My heat pump just went out this week. 2020 MY, this is my first issue and my second winter with the car. The heat continues not to work even when it's been sitting in a warm garage. It initially failed when the temperature was about 25f out, I had a very cold 2 hour drive back home.

I have a service appointment scheduled for next Wednesday, that was earliest I could get it in since my closest service center is about 2 hours away. They said they would be unable to diagnose the issue with a mobile tech. I'll let you guys know the outcome after I take it in.

My heat pump just went out this week. 2020 MY, this is my first issue and my second winter with the car. The heat continues not to work even when it's been sitting in a warm garage. It initially failed when the temperature was about 25f out, I had a very cold 2 hour drive back home.

I have a service appointment scheduled for next Wednesday, that was earliest I could get it in since my closest service center is about 2 hours away. They said they would be unable to diagnose the issue with a mobile tech. I'll let you guys know the outcome after I take it in.
Just for giggles turn your heat or defroster on max and see it that will produce heat. If it does I'd bet its the PT sensors on the heat pump itself.

Ya, I hear you. I had my Ford radiators covered 5~6 months out of the year! Mine are clean and debris free. If the louvers would close I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm too swine headed to put in a service ticket and have mobile service travel 300 miles, just to tell me that they are closing properly. I can spy with my little eye that they indeed DO NOT close, and probably never have.
Yep no kidding.

Yep I live just 25 miles to your west. I had my pump issues taken care of April 2021. They replaced a couple sensors. They came to the house picked up the car put it on a flatbed, transported it to Spokane and then brought it back three days later. Can’t say I’ve had any other problems other than my feet being a little cold. The heat has never actually shut itself off like some of the others. But here is my solution right below this. I intend on putting this grill cover in when I’m on the highway and it’s below zero! I made it out of cardboard and black duck tape. It’s just held in by friction, and it fits nicely in the front trunk.View attachment 758114
Hmm...I'll look for you. I drive through Anaconda fairly frequently going up to Echo Lake for the XC ski trails! Mine only recently seems to be putting out a little less heat. I had a Chevy Bolt before the Y and my partner thought that should come with a Buffalo Robe. I have the service scheduled in Spokane and they've apparently done a remote scan so they know the fix will take the better part of a day.

Has anyone heard about heat pump problems on Nissan Leafs or Hyundai EVs? There is simply no excuse for this issue to be any more than a blip that's long past being resolved.
I follow the EV6 forums as I'm waiting for delivery of mine with a heat pump. Owners in very cold climates are reporting issues and bugs with their cars. It appears that some EV6 owners are having their heat pumps replaced. Other issues are no heat and no defrosting functions working. The best one was a chap who had to get a hairdryer out to defrost the handles as they were frozen solid! The Kia wouldn't heat up.

I'm on here as my wife loves the look of the Y and the storage! I'm considering cancelling the EV6. There are rumours that the Shanghai factory is producing better quality Y's and 3's. As I'm in the UK that's where the RHD cars are made.

Reactions: David Sowden
Hmm...I'll look for you. I drive through Anaconda fairly frequently going up to Echo Lake for the XC ski trails! Mine only recently seems to be putting out a little less heat. I had a Chevy Bolt before the Y and my partner thought that should come with a Buffalo Robe. I have the service scheduled in Spokane and they've apparently done a remote scan so they know the fix will take the better part of a day.
Are they going to pick it up and transport it, or are you going to drive it out to Spokane yourself?