Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Insurance Cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could try to do a generic quote (without VIN) but be aware that it may not be realistic. I did with Progressive (it had MY available as an option), and the quote was for around 450 for 6 months, which is almost what I pay now for my 11-year old SUV. I am pretty sure the quote is completely fake, and real quote, once I have a VIN, will be significantly higher.

Once I had the VIN the quote was about $10 per month higher.

Interesting. I don't have a high performance car to compare with, but our insurance on a 2017 X100 is within a $20 a year of the insurance cost on our older Acura with same coverage (a car of half the cost). I was surprised.

So I like the idea of thinking about it as a percentage.... So i have older Toyotas and getting a MY- my insurance for the new MY is about 30% higher than my current insurance... State Farm in NY. So not terrible if you think its going from an old Camry Hybrid to a brand new MY.

I said exactly what it's comparing in the post now that I've re-read it.

"This is side by side with my '18 BMW X3 M40i"

"I was shocked how much more it costs to insure the Y."

Glad you went out of your way to clarify nothing here, other than to say one of these attached-but-unlabeled screenshots is a 2018 BMW X3 M40i. The other may be for a Model Y, but your original post also lists two other cars in terms of insurance.

Is it really this hard to be clear in the first place or just take the time to unambiguously clarify what you're posting?

Glad you went out of your way to clarify nothing here, other than to say one of these attached-but-unlabeled screenshots is a 2018 BMW X3 M40i. The other may be for a Model Y, but your original post also lists two other cars in terms of insurance.

Is it really this hard to be clear in the first place or just take the time to unambiguously clarify what you're posting?
Doesn’t matter anyway. I was quoted less for MY than M3. Everyone is a special snowflake when it comes to insurance.

Just spoke to Tesla and here's what I got:
CA driver with clean record, 33 y/o, married, homeowner, 2021 model y LR
Bodily - $250k/$500k
Property - $100k
Uninsured - $250k/$500k
Medical - $5k
Comp Ded. - $500
Collision Ded. -$1000
Collision Ded waiver - Yes
~$196/month

Got a quote from Mercury earlier today under the same coverage @ ~$208/mo

Bodily - $250k/$500k
Property - $100k
Uninsured - $250k/$500k
Medical - $5k
Comp Ded. - $500
Collision Ded. -$1000
~$196/month

I got roughly the same coverage as you and pay ~500 for 6 months via progressive

Bodily - $250k/$500k
Property - $100k
Uninsured - $250k/$500k
Medical - $5k
Comp Ded. - $500
Collision Ded. -$1000
~$196/month

Same coverages, State Farm, $86 a month, in PA with two drivers. I know that location effects rates greatly though.

Lots of variables but if you can get USAA (many years for me) I say get it - good prices and great to deal with for me...

My USAA rates just kept climbing with USAA and then after one slight bumper bump (barely creased the paint) and someone keying my car at SAMs, they threatened to drop me and asked me what kind of neighborhood I lived in where they key cars. Enough.

Left for Progressive for $300 less. Took my subscribers saving acct with me. 34 years = $10,888 which buys a lot of insurance.
The only other way you get the subscriber's savings acct is if you die and then I am sure they won't be chasing your survivors with it.

My USAA rates just kept climbing with USAA and then after one slight bumper bump (barely creased the paint) and someone keying my car at SAMs, they threatened to drop me and asked me what kind of neighborhood I lived in where they key cars. Enough.

Left for Progressive for $300 less. Took my subscribers saving acct with me. 34 years = $10,888 which buys a lot of insurance.
The only other way you get the subscriber's savings acct is if you die and then I am sure they won't be chasing your survivors with it.
Wow, yeah not good. My rates have stayed pretty much the same for years with combo-type discounts and such, haven't had an issue. You must have been comfortable with how Progressive is to deal with apparently? Did you look into GEICO too?

Bodily - $250k/$500k
Property - $100k
Uninsured - $250k/$500k
Medical - $5k
Comp Ded. - $500
Collision Ded. -$1000
~$196/month

If you're a Costco member, try their Ameriprise/Connect auto insurance. We're in SoCal and pay less than that quote for both a 2020 MY and a 2017 M3. Same coverages.

Comparing insurance rates is like comparing golf club performance. It’s literally different for everyone. The vehicle itself has very little to do with the actual rate. Your price for a Y will not be much different than your price for a Tahoe. It’s mostly based on you, not the car.

I am a state farm agent (20+ years) and I see insurance rates every day.....

• Helpful
Reactions: jetsurgn
Wow, yeah not good. My rates have stayed pretty much the same for years with combo-type discounts and such, haven't had an issue. You must have been comfortable with how Progressive is to deal with apparently? Did you look into GEICO too?

GEICO was higher. Have since left Progressive as well and bundled with home insurance at AllState for another $200 savings.