Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - let the Photoshopping begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
obviously the hinge would be forward more
Ad2ivCi.jpg
No. The hinge can stay behind the front row of seats, like this:

Car and Driver

Car and Driver

Reactions: WarpedOne
Cars with upward opening doors aren't common because while they look cool, they are a nightmare to design, build, maintain, and make safe. The gull wing doors have been an maintenance nightmare for Tesla. They're getting better, but I don't think the Model X will ever be as reliable as the S because of those doors. I have heard from some people who have Model Xs that the doors are really cool at first, then once you get used to them, they are really more of a nuisance.

One owner on a podcast I heard said he now tries to open the doors as little as possible because they take too long to open and close. In his last car if he had a couple of bags of groceries, he would put them in the back seat, but now he puts them in the passenger foot-well in front to avoid waiting for the doors.

The biggest design advantage for the gull wing doors which was it gets the doors out of the way in tight parking spots is kind of taken care of with summon.

I know Elon said one of the cars on the Model 3 platform would have gull wing doors and most people thought that was going to be the Model Y, but that was before the Model X was delivered and the doors became such a problem and before Summon was a feature in the firmware. I don't think any future Tesla cars will have gull wing doors and I suspect the Model X 2.0 will do away with them at some point in the future (though probably a few years at least).

Why There Aren't More Cars With Gullwing Doors

I don't want GWD for my selfish practical purposes- While the Model Y is going to be a car I'm going to love and cherish- it's also going to be our everyday workhorse car too. That means lumber on the roof, or extra storage, or my paddle board, or bikes, or skis... Not everyone who buys a cSUV has those needs- but lots of people will have one of them over the course of life of the car. And some of us really do need them frequently.

Reactions: KJD
I don't want GWD for my selfish practical purposes- While the Model Y is going to be a car I'm going to love and cherish- it's also going to be our everyday workhorse car too. That means lumber on the roof, or extra storage, or my paddle board, or bikes, or skis... Not everyone who buys a cSUV has those needs- but lots of people will have one of them over the course of life of the car. And some of us really do need them frequently.
You may be able to convince KIA to make a 250+ mile version of the SOUL EV. Give it a try!

I have actually taken a SOUL EV for a drive- and they're not bad. But the range is the killer- there had been high hopes that the 2017 update would bring a substantive range boost, but it didn't happen.

At this point though, unless my Forester explodes- I'm gonna ride it out and bank my money for the Y.

Reactions: Red Sage
This weeks edition of Autocar in the UK includes a full page illustration of the Model Y with text. Being a cheapskate, I dashed home to review the discussion on here hoping someone had uploaded. Sorry chaps. The Model X review is online but the Model Y item not.

This weeks edition of Autocar in the UK includes a full page illustration of the Model Y with text. Being a cheapskate, I dashed home to review the discussion on here hoping someone had uploaded. Sorry chaps. The Model X review is online but the Model Y item not.

Thanks for mentioning- did a quick Google search but not seeing anything come up, so we'll have to keep our eyes out.

Sadly no hints or mentions during the earnings call. Outside of timelines for Model 3 and SolarRoof, there were no other broad based statements about upcoming products. Ah, well....

A car like that would seem to reflect a serious case of oxymoronic thinking. "Let's make it small so its less expensive. Ok, but let's load it up with complex gizmos so it will be expensive." Well, I suppose there is a midrange market there somewhere...

The falcon wing doors do not seem to be favorably reviewed by anyone I've read so far. In fact it's been suggested that a Model X be offered with normal doors instead, making the falcon wing doors an option. How many would pay for that option? True differential cost seems like it would be at least $10,000, maybe more.

I'm not sure where this notion comes from...I LOVE the falcon wing doors on my Model X! And these were a big reason why I chose the X over competing SUVs. I think the FWDs are an essential element of the uniqueness of the X. I haven't had any problems at all with them. In fact, quite the opposite...I marvel at the engineering behind them every time I see them operate...perfectly. To each his/her own I guess but I for one love my FWDs!

It's definitely the X styling. I still think that even if it's a 2/3 size, there is not enough room between the back wheel and the downward slop of the windshield for the back door, at least as it sits on a Model X. Maybe I'm wrong and perspective is messing with me, but that looks like a much shorter cabin area. I even tried overlaying a pic of the X from the same angle over it and the cabin is longer. Perhaps because it's a smaller CUV on the 3 platform rather than the S platform? Guess only they know.

No, you're right. The clay model isn't showing a door seam, and from that angle an X has a door seam that's definitely in the field of view - remember, the back of the FWD cuts down into the rear wheel well.

The styling and geometry is otherwise a really close match for the X, and it doesn't seem likely that they would build a coupe CUV, where you had to climb into a very large back through the driver's door, and the timing seems odd for such a sneak peek.

So my guess is that it is in fact an X we are seeing - they just didn't draw the door seams into the clay.

I'm not sure where this notion comes from...I LOVE the falcon wing doors on my Model X! And these were a big reason why I chose the X over competing SUVs. I think the FWDs are an essential element of the uniqueness of the X. I haven't had any problems at all with them. In fact, quite the opposite...I marvel at the engineering behind them every time I see them operate...perfectly. To each his/her own I guess but I for one love my FWDs!

It could be sour grapes ;=) but I sure hope they don't succumb to moves that would make the base Model 3 more expensive.

I think they're very cool, and if passengers are your primary cargo then they clearly have some advantages. My contention is that as a more mainstream market SUV, the Model Y is likely to see far more use for both practical SPORT and UTILITY features by the people who buy them. As I've mentioned before, this will be replacing a Subaru Forester for me, so not only towing, but roof storage is also important for bikes, skis, cargo containers and my 14' paddle board. I have seen ways to do attachments for all these things with the X, but they're workarounds that in a perfect world I'd rather not have to worry about. The option for a roof rack, like the Model S, is my optimum scenario.

Here we go guys- I took the hit and downloaded the Autocar App, and bought the issue in question. Very similar to general consensus images we've seen before in overall body design- most notable thing is the different body color/material at the bumpers and over the wheel wells. Looks nice, actually.

Writeup gives nothing new obviously- but the writer believes it will come with FWD, and have about a 5-7K base price premium over the Model 3.

Also makes note that approximately 7 million crossovers of all types were sold in the US last year.

ModelY-Autocar.jpg