Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR with 4680 any clue when ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Partly incorrect...
Austin is making MY cars with 4680 and they are the MY-AWD as you point out. You are correct in that they can't be custom ordered but Texas is dropping them into inventory quite regularly now.

Currently there are 18 MY-AWD with 4680 cells available in existing (new) inventory. A few days ago this was 30+. There was a big dump of them a week or so ago.
You can filter this list to just see the MYAWD cars.
since Tesla doesn't make the MY-AWD for order on the online configurator, there's no way to determine when or if any might show up.
who knows when the 'inventory' cars were actually manufactured.
for example, many cars sit outside Giga Texas for weeks on end, presumably waiting on parts, etc.

the MY-AWD is a random walk at the moment.
Tesla does show it on the online configurator, but doesn't make it available to be ordered.
we can only presume it will soon be available to order, but no word on when.

a similar situation exists for the M3LR 'Highland' refresh. It's shown, but cannot be ordered....yet.

since Tesla doesn't make the MY-AWD for order on the online configurator, there's no way to determine when or if any might show up.
who knows when the 'inventory' cars were actually manufactured.
for example, many cars sit outside Giga Texas for weeks on end, presumably waiting on parts, etc.

the MY-AWD is a random walk at the moment.
Tesla does show it on the online configurator, but doesn't make it available to be ordered.
we can only presume it will soon be available to order, but no word on when.

a similar situation exists for the M3LR 'Highland' refresh. It's shown, but cannot be ordered....yet.
The VINs are current and in line with MYLR coming off the line. So no, that isn't a mystery of when they were made. Only a mystery of when the next batch will be delivered into inventory. Just like everyone waiting for a specific config/paint/seat/tow on their MYLR or MYP order. We don't know when that specification batch will be made and VINs assigned, they also sit on the lot for some time before getting sorted and shipped. Not really any different than waiting for a bunch of MYAWD to show up in inventory. And with sites like waitingfortesla and ev-tsla you can find the MYAWDs without any effort if you are after one.

I'm only quoting you to point out that when you continue to post the same thing over and over again in that "it was only offered to employees and to some select customers, and only for a short time this past fall" and "Austin is making 4680 batteries but is not currently making MY cars with anything other than 2170 batteries." that you are spreading misinformation. Neither of those statements are even close to true. I've quoted you on this before and every time you seem to change your answer but then start posting that same misinformation a few weeks later.

The M3LR also is being produced, is also being added to inventory on a regular basis. The listing on the the order page may be referring to the current one being produced or could be referring to the rumored Highland refresh but regardless, M3LR in current (non-refresh) config is being produced. Just in my province alone there are currently nine 2023 M3LR available in existing inventory.

Reactions: boulder.dude
I don't think I want to be a beta tester for a battery pack that could cost $15K+ to replace. I'll leave it to the experts like Panasonic. Giga Texas only have been making a MY AWD with 4680 packs late last year right? Long term reliability data is not known yet.

Reactions: E90alex
The VINs are current and in line with MYLR coming off the line. So no, that isn't a mystery of when they were made. Only a mystery of when the next batch will be delivered into inventory. Just like everyone waiting for a specific config/paint/seat/tow on their MYLR or MYP order. We don't know when that specification batch will be made and VINs assigned, they also sit on the lot for some time before getting sorted and shipped. Not really any different than waiting for a bunch of MYAWD to show up in inventory. And with sites like waitingfortesla and ev-tsla you can find the MYAWDs without any effort if you are after one.

I'm only quoting you to point out that when you continue to post the same thing over and over again in that "it was only offered to employees and to some select customers, and only for a short time this past fall" and "Austin is making 4680 batteries but is not currently making MY cars with anything other than 2170 batteries." that you are spreading misinformation. Neither of those statements are even close to true. I've quoted you on this before and every time you seem to change your answer but then start posting that same misinformation a few weeks later.

The M3LR also is being produced, is also being added to inventory on a regular basis. The listing on the the order page may be referring to the current one being produced or could be referring to the rumored Highland refresh but regardless, M3LR in current (non-refresh) config is being produced. Just in my province alone there are currently nine 2023 M3LR available in existing inventory.
look, if you want people to make believe they can ferret out cars that are available only at random and inconsistently optioned, go for it.
expectations are important, and this blog tends to delve deeply into wishful thinking.
maybe you just want people to feel special when they find an easter egg.

but the broad strokes of what I post are pretty accurate.
if Tesla were making MY 4680 cars available for purchase from the website configurator, I'd agree with you.
but since they don't, all you've got are exceptions; none of which can be planned around, particularly for people not buying with cash.

chill that cabin fever! ;-)

I don't think I want to be a beta tester for a battery pack that could cost $15K+ to replace. I'll leave it to the experts like Panasonic. Giga Texas only have been making a MY AWD with 4680 packs late last year right? Long term reliability data is not known yet.
Tesla's confidence in the the 4680 pack encourages my confidence. I admit this could be misplaced confidence, but I highly doubt it.
It seems to me this will be one of their future batteries. Not a temporary one.

How they and Panasonic gained that confidence was done through testing. Hopefully they took a real car and put it through paces with those batteries. Probably almost as likely, They charged and discharged batteries in controlled lab conditions millions of times. That's my hunch. Not enough time has gone by to see how the batteries hold up under actual use over a long period of time.
I'm not overly concerned knowing they are mainly just repackaged 2170 batteries.
And we have the waranty. I would love to see 300K plus miles on these cars as claimed.

• Funny
Reactions: chiefsmy and ucmndd
Tesla's confidence in the the 4680 pack encourages my confidence. I admit this could be misplaced confidence, but I highly doubt it.
It seems to me this will be one of their future batteries. Not a temporary one.

How they and Panasonic gained that confidence was done through testing. Hopefully they took a real car and put it through paces with those batteries. Probably almost as likely, They charged and discharged batteries in controlled lab conditions millions of times. That's my hunch. Not enough time has gone by to see how the batteries hold up under actual use over a long period of time.
I'm not overly concerned knowing they are mainly just repackaged 2170 batteries.
And we have the waranty. I would love to see 300K plus miles on these cars as claimed.
They are also very confident in their ability to solve full self driving and make cars with no panel gaps. If there's no issues with production then they'll be churning out 4680 Model Y as fast as they can sell it right now.

look, if you want people to make believe they can ferret out cars that are available only at random and inconsistently optioned, go for it.
expectations are important, and this blog tends to delve deeply into wishful thinking.
maybe you just want people to feel special when they find an easter egg.

but the broad strokes of what I post are pretty accurate.
if Tesla were making MY 4680 cars available for purchase from the website configurator, I'd agree with you.
but since they don't, all you've got are exceptions; none of which can be planned around, particularly for people not buying with cash.

chill that cabin fever! ;-)
Tesla just dumped 300 4680 MYAWD into inventory. Every color seems to be available...all with black seats. But a mix of wheels this time around. Some with tow.
Just helping out people to find that "easter egg" as you so eloquently put it ;)

Better to be an optimist and found wrong than a pessimist who couldn't see something good if it bit them, right?
Sure, but optimism despite ample evidence to the contrary is just naïveté. ;)

Manufacturing is hard. Manufacturing emerging technology with new production methods and techniques is exponentially harder. New things have teething pains and Tesla is no exception to that rule. Wait for a few hundred thousand copies and some minor revisions to be released if you're interested in long-term ownership.

Sure, but optimism despite ample evidence to the contrary is just naïveté. ;)

Manufacturing is hard. Manufacturing emerging technology with new production methods and techniques is exponentially harder. New things have teething pains and Tesla is no exception to that rule. Wait for a few hundred thousand copies and some minor revisions to be released if you're interested in long-term ownership.
If an EV company quotes me an expectation of range , which in EV speak is usually shy of the actual number, in this case 330 miles on the LR Y, that's the main thing for me. I don't care if they used jello squares to achieve it so long as it's safe and the range is accurate. Not dismissive of efforts to help the environment either, but it is what it is in making these batteries.

It isn't just range though, it's also range over time. I have watched several videos with new excited owners of the 4680 SR Y. I don't think the 'new' has really worn off yet. Some will be happy while others might wish they had waited for either a 4680 LR or bought 2170 instead. The structural difference is supposed to translate into a slightly better frame and as an extenstion maybe slightly better car panel clearances all round'. Lots of buzz terms for the reasons manufacturers are said to do what they do. Sorting needs to be done between facts and reality.

The end resulting 4680 car is probably a more structually solid car, but then this places doubt in some minds over " what was wrong with the structural integity of the exiting LR Y"? Is it a very small thing or is it a considerable thing? Present configurations won safethy awards.Most reports say the differences are more about manufacturing technique/cost savings and have less to do with performance between the two types besides the fact one is a LR model. " Long range" also can be a catch phrase with no validity when we get to 600-800 mile range technology ( one can dream) Will the MY LR still be LR?

The MY SR could be under rated, while the MY LR is overratted in terms of range. Everyone thinks they want the 4680, but do they all know what's involved? Most of us would rather err on the side of something we know. I have no issue with the proven 2170 in a car in a LR configuration at a decent price for what it is. Maybe the bigger question is, will these 4680 MY SR cars be the new trend AWAY from the LR idea? If true, then this means some Tesla ranges are dropping instead of increasing. Supposedly "unlocking" a battery opens it up, probably bypasses key parts of the BMS, and therefore battery life expectancy, yet it shows what these batteries are capable of unmanaged.

Like others, Tesla has been actively involved in getting batteries wherever they can be had, deals with Catyl, Panasonic and others are seen as stop gaps until batteries can be scaled 100% internally. If they have the batteries, they can build the cars. Seems pretty simple, but really it's a deeper subject, especially with a view to future cars.