Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should you wait for 2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range with 4680 Battery or by Tesla now? [Jan 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I waited for two years for that thinking it was going to increase the range
to 400 and be fast charging . Turn out the first generation is not and the 2170
still outperforms it in Energy Density. 2170's can be replaced and or repaired
(Gruber Motors) . I could wait no loonger but I did get something for my wait.
Better Suspension, Better Interior , Better sound Insulation and Gen 2 2170.
Couldn't stand to wait and another Summer of California gas prices.
Plus it looks like I'm getting the California Rebate and the Fed Rebate .
Pretty Happy so far.
There are many other battery techs that are looking real promising at this point.

I waited for two years for that thinking it was going to increase the range
to 400 and be fast charging . Turn out the first generation is not and the 2170
still outperforms it in Energy Density. 2170's can be replaced and or repaired
(Gruber Motors) . I could wait no loonger but I did get something for my wait.
Better Suspension, Better Interior , Better sound Insulation and Gen 2 2170.
Couldn't stand to wait and another Summer of California gas prices.
Plus it looks like I'm getting the California Rebate and the Fed Rebate .
Pretty Happy so far.
There are many other battery techs that are looking real promising at this point.
battery tech promoted / hyped in the Media is not going to get to market soon.
From Lab to Production takes years.
Witness Tesla 4680 just for starters; when was Battery Day; we're 3 years and counting and that's had bunches of money thrown at it.

Reactions: Elektrick
so does that mean you're going to unload the one you do have?
I will be trading in my MYP when the 500 mile CT comes, I was initally planning on having two teslas at the house ( Model Y and a Cyvertruck) but I will be I need to keep a Gas car for round trips over 140 Miles in the MY and over 225 in the CT. If I was leasing my Teslas I could likely get more range from them since I woildn't care about charging to 100 or draining to <10% or supercharging constantly. The trush of the matter is I see about 15%-20% range loss at the speeds I drive and I follow the 80/20 rule because I usually keep my cars for 15+ years so the MYP has a nominal round trip range of about 120 Miles . Great for local but not much else. The CT would extend that to about 200 miles (still half the range of a midsize gas car)

You won't find better range at more than double the price point, and Tesla isn't sweating the USS noise at all. They're still selling MY in all flavors very well.
Don;t get me wrong , I won't buy anothe brand of EV I just won't buy another MY Like I have today. I'd trade in my MYP for a MY LR with LFP ( I can't fit in a M3 or I'd have one)

Range is the most important thing to me now, I really hate stopping to recharge on trips I was doing on half a tank of gas previously. So a 2 EV home is now not in my stars I need a Gas car for my trips and an ev for everything else.

The current $50,000 Model Y Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive (4680) has 270 miles of range.
- What was the range of the previous Model Y RWD (4680) ?

Don't the $42,000 Model 3 RWD will lose the IRA $7,500 credit?
While the Model Y AWD (4680) will cost ($50,000 - $7,500) = $42,500.
- If so, who really want getting the Model 3 RWD instead of the Model YAWD (4680)?

Last edited:
Waited for 2 years for the 4680 and looked at the specs on the first one
doesn't seem it does anything for the customer in the first release. Got
a Long Range Y not sorry. Some Fomo about Hardware 4 and USS but I won't be
paying 6 dollars plus a gallon for California gas this summer. Plus waiting
did deliver some stuff Like the better processor , the better Interior , The better sound insulation and the better suspension, plus the CVRP and Fed rebate.
This still is a Nerdgasm when I get in it.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Don;t get me wrong , I won't buy anothe brand of EV I just won't buy another MY Like I have today. I'd trade in my MYP for a MY LR with LFP ( I can't fit in a M3 or I'd have one)

Range is the most important thing to me now, I really hate stopping to recharge on trips I was doing on half a tank of gas previously. So a 2 EV home is now not in my stars I need a Gas car for my trips and an ev for everything else.
and that hybrid usage model makes sense.
there's no reason to be ideologically blind to reality. Although most occupants of the blogs wish it were so.
EVs are not the solution for all use cases.

The current $50,000 Model Y Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive (4680) has 270 miles of range.
- What was the range of the previous Model Y RWD (4680) ?

Don't the $42,000 Model 3 RWD will lose the IRA $7,500 credit?
While the Model Y AWD (4680) will cost ($50,000 - $7,500) = $42,500.
- If so, who really want getting the Model 3 RWD instead of the Model YAWD (4680)?
what?
there was never a MY RWD, or RWD 4680 model. nor do you have prices accurate.
get your data right, then post.

what?
there was never a MY RWD, or RWD 4680 model. nor do you have prices accurate.
get your data right, then post.

Here you are...

Tesla-Model-Y-standard-Range-7-set.jpg

I will be trading in my MYP when the 500 mile CT comes, I was initally planning on having two teslas at the house ( Model Y and a Cyvertruck) but I will be I need to keep a Gas car for round trips over 140 Miles in the MY and over 225 in the CT. If I was leasing my Teslas I could likely get more range from them since I woildn't care about charging to 100 or draining to <10% or supercharging constantly. The trush of the matter is I see about 15%-20% range loss at the speeds I drive and I follow the 80/20 rule because I usually keep my cars for 15+ years so the MYP has a nominal round trip range of about 120 Miles . Great for local but not much else. The CT would extend that to about 200 miles (still half the range of a midsize gas car)
Like you, I tend to keep my vehicles for 12-15 years. I might rotate the MYLR sooner, but largely because EV tech is moving faster than ICE. But still, it's a car.

I don't worry about battery degradation. It's overblown urban legend; Tesla has done it's homework (unlike others) and Panasonic 2170 cells are solid.
(you might do a reset of your BMS periodically to check real vs calculated degradation)
By the time I might, maybe, need or want a new battery pack, they'll be cheaper or higher density / longer range - or I'll just buy a new EV.
Because EV tech is moving quickly, price depreciation will also be faster, just like PCs.
The recent runups are an anomaly. That will settle out once mineral resource chains clarify in a few years.

Here you are...

View attachment 925932

apparently NOT
here's today's North America Tesla website:

even if true, Tesla LFP batteries are souced from CATL and not eligible for US Tax Credit incentives.

Last edited:
Waited for 2 years for the 4680 and looked at the specs on the first one
doesn't seem it does anything for the customer in the first release. Got
a Long Range Y not sorry. Some Fomo about Hardware 4 and USS but I won't be
paying 6 dollars plus a gallon for California gas this summer. Plus waiting
did deliver some stuff Like the better processor , the better Interior , The better sound insulation and the better suspension, plus the CVRP and Fed rebate.
This still is a Nerdgasm when I get in it.
like PCs, trying to wait for all the nerd options means never jumping.

4680 batteries have turned out to be a WIP unrealized, versus Panasonic 2170 batteries that are Here Now and are proven workhorses.
the processor is minutiae gains you'll never see unless sitting in your garage on your home network, and marginal there too.
HW4 is only meaningful if you're also willing to spend (gamble) 15K on FSD
USS means U Stupid *sugar*, look around before you maneuver
Even the newer 'comfort' suspension needs help
there are no interior improvements or changes worth mentioning
yes, double-glazed front windows make a difference (but that was added 2 years ago)

$6 gas (ok, $5 right now) vs 40 cents per kWh in CA is......not quite a wash, but close, especially after 'high usage' fees get added by SoCAL Edison, SDG&E, and PG&E.
(you WILL get hit with those fees when charging an EV at home)
But at least you CAN charge at home, and skip the silly lines at Costco Gas.

The MYLR I purchased is quick, has space for all my toys, has it's flaws (doesn't anything) but serves my needs.
It's also cheaper than the alternative ICE vehicles, which some find hard to believe but is true. Have you priced them lately?

I have Solar and Generate an extra 2000kw to 3000kw a year so
that should be good for about 6000 to 9000 miles which is as
much as I drive in a Year. Called PGE about the EV rates and they
have been steadily been raising the rates for EV's it's now 24 cents
a KW when I started looking at Solar system I sized it for car then
the EV rates where about 14 cents a KW . I called them and they said
it was a wash for me to change to the EV rate.
They raise your peak rate quiet a bit under the EV plan between 3 and 9pm. But I am have Nema 2 locked in so will see how it works out .
This has been a real Winter so I haven't Banked as much Solar Power. Also they basically give you back nothing for your excess but your are trading KW for KW so
it may work out . My Solar installer said I didn't need more .
Haven't paid anything for electricity but the Hook up fee to pge in 4 years .
Looks like the Ca Govenment is letting the power company's try
to kill home Solar while at the same time saying new construction must
have it .
Yeah they use all kinds of quirky fee's to mess you up So I will see how it
works out.
Good idea to be aware of the rates at SuperCharger's they are way different
at Peak Hours .
Yep haven't been to Costco since I got the car on the 22nd . And I still have my 06 325xi manual wagon. It gets 16 mpg on short drives in town and 22 on the Highway fully loaded with Sails one board inside and one board on top.
It would be nice to be totally free of the power company's

I think you can get 25 cents a kw if you go for and after midnight charge at
a supercharger.

HW4 is only meaningful if you're also willing to spend (gamble) 15K on FSD
Yeah but I would if it worked
USS means U Stupid *sugar*, look around before you maneuver
Yeah it seems kind of squirrely with the vision system but I have never
had the other type of senor in any car . I don't see how it can self park
with Vision only . pretty inaccurate with distance so far.
It's way better than the go kart suspension it came out with I drove one when they first came out but a bad road still feels pretty rough
No piano black more soft material more sound dreading . Doesn't look as cheap.
yes, double-glazed front windows make a difference (but that was added 2 years ago) When I was looking at them they at first they didn't have those.
Also now has AMD processor and Hardware 3 at least.
Also they deleted active USB with data from the center console. Easy to get it back though. USB hub or USB pod retrofit.

Last edited:
like PCs, trying to wait for all the nerd options means never jumping. Not all "options" are the same, some are worth waiting for some are not for PCs, cars, etc. - though you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

4680 batteries have turned out to be a WIP unrealized, versus Panasonic 2170 batteries that are Here Now and are proven workhorses. I don't know how many 4680 MY's are in the wild, but they're selling them all the time now. Unrealized?
the processor is minutiae gains you'll never see unless sitting in your garage on your home network, and marginal there too.
HW4 is only meaningful if you're also willing to spend (gamble) 15K on FSD Now that $199/month is an option, I don't know why some people act as if $15K is the only alternative. Having HW4 now for a future FSD does not have to depend on spending $15K at purchase.
USS means U Stupid *sugar*, look around before you maneuver The functions that are missing with the absence of USS are common on most other current makes/models. It's not unreasonable to wait for parity on those assist functions.
yes, double-glazed front windows make a difference (but that was added 2 years ago)