Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Mud Flap Saga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice workaround! Thanks for sharing the video.
That worked for me on the right rear mudflap but not on the left. I texted RPM customer support about this and they said it was Tesla's fault. That helps a lot.:mad:

I don't have the gear to take the wheel off to get in there to remove the spinning (round) nut and am going to have to take it to a shop to have it done. Drat.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
That worked for me on the right rear mudflap but not on the left. I texted RPM customer support about this and they said it was Tesla's fault. That helps a lot.:mad:

I don't have the gear to take the wheel off to get in there to remove the spinning (round) nut and am going to have to take it to a shop to have it done. Drat.
Or just don't install the rear ones...they don't offer much protection

having all four corners fitted with mud flaps give a uniform look IMO.

Bottom line is, it doesn’t matter how much you try and do to the car it’s going to get chips and scratches etc. if it’s not you’re not driving it and it’s a waste of your money.

With that said I do plan to do full front, under doors, and rear impact area in PPF w/ all four corners with flaps to try and protect as much as I can but I know it’s inevitable I’m going to get chips and scratches.

As long as their my chips I don’t mind, if I was buying the car snd they were someone else’s I would care. 🤣

• Love
Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Look at where the rear mud flaps are positioned - they are not going to protect the rear door panel so PPF is probably your best protection option.
Having front mud flaps and not having rears to me just looks odd. But living in WI I have to come up with a game plan on what I should add before this winter season.

I got the left rear mudflap installed at my mechanic's shop, Reeve's Automotive in San Luis Obispo CA. He's maintained our vehicles for years now. They jacked up the car (with the jack puck), got my vice grips on the nut and it was off in a jiffy. The mudflap then went on quickly after that.

After John put the wheel back on and torqued it down (129#), he checked the other wheels. With <300 mi on it, all lug nuts were a little loose.

He recommends checking torque on wheel lug nuts when the car has 50-100 miles on it as new as well as whenever a wheel it taken off (e.g., new tires).

I got the left rear mudflap installed at my mechanic's shop, Reeve's Automotive in San Luis Obispo CA. He's maintained our vehicles for years now. They jacked up the car (with the jack puck), got my vice grips on the nut and it was off in a jiffy. The mudflap then went on quickly after that.

After John put the wheel back on and torqued it down (129#), he checked the other wheels. With <300 mi on it, all lug nuts were a little loose.

He recommends checking torque on wheel lug nuts when the car has 50-100 miles on it as new as well as whenever a wheel it taken off (e.g., new tires).

good advice!

I went with the PPF in front of the rear wheel, took one trip where they put stuff on the road for ice to realize the damage it was doing. But it doesn't take much to hit that area with grit of any kind you might pick up from the front tires.