Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Mud Flaps (Rear Bolt Issue)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome. What's the exact rim (width, offset) and tire size? And do you have the part # handy for the Yakima fairing? I'm really diggin the look man.

Wheels and tires are Method MR502 Rally 18x8 5x114.3 (5x4.5") +38mm with Falken Wildpeak AT Trail 255/55R18 109V. I powdercoated the brushed aluminum center caps on the wheels with a black wrinkle texture finish. Fairing is Yakima 8005018 46" WindShield

Reactions: hatch
I wouldn't worry too much about breaking the spot weld nut when trying to take the bolt out . I will say shame on Tesla for only spot welding the nut in one location - it would literally take another couple seconds during manufacturing to make another spot weld. Also in terms of penetrant - Kroil is king (will use PB Blaster in a pinch). I am a hobby machinist with several friends who work in the tool and die industry and we all swear by the stuff.

FWIW I broke one of the nuts on my car trying to install the Baesnor mud flaps and replaced it with a clip nut from the auto parts store, which was a super quick and easy fix:

View attachment 760231

I didn't like how rigid the Baesnor flaps were, especially when they would occasionally hit the ground going over speed bumps and steep driveways so I switched to Rally Armor, which are exponentially more expensive, but I think the product looks and performs much better.
Do you mind sharing how you fixed it with the clip nut? I think I just broke the bolt on my rear passenger bumper and the bolt won’t come out (although I was babying it at that point and desperately trying to re-thread it).

Do you mind sharing how you fixed it with the clip nut? I think I just broke the bolt on my rear passenger bumper and the bolt won’t come out (although I was babying it at that point and desperately trying to re-thread it).

Reactions: BTVev
Hi all,

I have read many of the threads regarding installing rear mud flaps and risk of breaking the rear bolt/nut assembly (and the tip to use oil penetrant - BTW what is the best one to use?)

I am wondering if the bolt breaking loose is still a current issue for newer Model Y vehicles or if Tesla caught on and improved the issue - for example cars delivered in the past several months?

I ordered the Basenor set from Amazon, but nervous to tackle the job since it seems the weld issue is hit or miss.

Any input appreciated!
I think you probably also posted similar question on reddit as well. anyways, as I responded on reddit forum as well, I didn't put the screw on. even without the screw in place, I felt the flaps are tightly placed and not wiggling. I didn't want to touch the factory installed screw

Same! Is there a way to fix the bolt once it’s broken? Broke mine today and it’s a huge bummer. It’s just hanging there.
Since you likely already have the clips out that hold in the cover of the wheel well, you can pull that back and see the nut that breaks free of the weld.

I tried various needle nosed pliers and via grips but couldn’t get ahold of the nut to remove the bolt normally, so I sheared the bottom of the bold off and used a magnetic tool to pull the top out of the bumper. Started with a dremmel tool but switched to an oscillating hand tool… damaged the plastic around the bolt a bit, I’d recommend hand sawing it as they did in one of the videos.

I ended up just using a regular bumper clip to fill in for the broken bolt. It should hold fine but I’ll continue to check it periodically and can replace it easily, or put in a clip nut or some sort of other replacement if it looks needed.

The worst part is I didn’t end up sticking with these particular mud flaps(I didn’t like the wrap around the cladding and the dirt/salt getting trapped in there) and just got the oem versions on the front… haha. Worth it, it wasn’t.

Someone was nice enough to link the videos with people dealing with the same issue about 4 posts back, definitely watch those.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6390669/

I am wondering if the bolt breaking loose is still a current issue for newer Model Y vehicles or if Tesla caught on and improved the issue - for example cars delivered in the past several months?
I can say definitively that this has not been fixed in the new models. My Y is a late March build, and the spot welded nut broke off this morning as I installed my rear mudflaps from Abstract Ocean. I installed the front flaps a few weeks ago and initially had no intention of installing the rear flaps. But they were taunting me sitting in the corner of my garage, so on a whim I thought what the heck, I’ll just put them on. Upon loosening the bolt of the second flap, it gave way and I was stuck. I immediately regretted my decision to install them. Getting that bolt off was a royal pain too. I tried reaching in from the rear with needle nose pliers, but it is near impossible to get purchase on that round nut. I ended up hacksawing the bolt off.

FWIW I broke one of the nuts on my car trying to install the Baesnor mud flaps and replaced it with a clip nut from the auto parts store, which was a super quick and easy fix:

View attachment 760231

I didn't like how rigid the Baesnor flaps were, especially when they would occasionally hit the ter.

This solution was brilliant. I picked up a 1/4”-20 U-Nut (looks just like the one pictured) and matching black 1/4”-20 x 1” body bolt made by Hillman from our local Lowes Hardware. I was able to access the mounting location through the wheel well, and it was a perfect fit. See photo below, showing the attach point. Wish Tesla used these nuts rather than the flimsy spot welded ones. Now both of my rear mudflaps are installed and good as new.
FBFB0FFA-18B8-4619-9F7F-F9DF3B8D5058.jpeg

Hi All,
I am glad just found this thread. I just picked up my 22 Model Y P and tried to install the mud flaps but ran into some issue. I wish I had read this thread prior to attempting to install. Anyways, the instructions itself seemed pretty straight forward for the rear mud flaps which required the rear bolt to be unscrewed. I was able to unscrew the bolt , however it is not coming out at all. It is loose/unscrewed but does not want to come our or go back in. At this point I am not really sure what I can do. It seems like this could be some type of bad design of the bolt by Tesla but not really sure since I am new to Tesla.
can anyone please suggest how I can get the bolt out or screw back in? Do you think Tesla service center can help?

Thanks

Hi All,
I am glad just found this thread. I just picked up my 22 Model Y P and tried to install the mud flaps but ran into some issue. I wish I had read this thread prior to attempting to install. Anyways, the instructions itself seemed pretty straight forward for the rear mud flaps which required the rear bolt to be unscrewed. I was able to unscrew the bolt , however it is not coming out at all. It is loose/unscrewed but does not want to come our or go back in. At this point I am not really sure what I can do. It seems like this could be some type of bad design of the bolt by Tesla but not really sure since I am new to Tesla.
can anyone please suggest how I can get the bolt out or screw back in? Do you think Tesla service center can help?

Thanks
I used a hacksaw to get the old bolt off, then used a U-bolt to replace it (see post #29). In the end, it wasn’t too difficult. It’s a pretty terrible design though and I’m surprised Tesla still hasn’t fixed it.

I used a hacksaw to get the old bolt off, then used a U-bolt to replace it (see post #29). In the end, it wasn’t too difficult. It’s a pretty terrible design though and I’m surprised Tesla still hasn’t fixed it.
Thank you peperoni for your response , I really appreciate it. I read your #29 post and I am not sure if I understood completely. Do you mean that I need to take out the real wheel to access that? Did you also take out the rear bumper where that screw was screwed on? Please let me know what components I need to disassemble as I not a car savvy person. Thank you again.

Thank you peperoni for your response , I really appreciate it. I read your #29 post and I am not sure if I understood completely. Do you mean that I need to take out the real wheel to access that? Did you also take out the rear bumper where that screw was screwed on? Please let me know what components I need to disassemble as I not a car savvy person. Thank you again.
No you certainly don’t need to remove the rear wheel! Just peel back the panel behind the rear wheel and you will see the bolt you need the replace. Don’t feel shy about removing the plastic fasteners and peeling back the panel. Once you get in there you’ll be able to replace the loose nut with the U-nut.

Same! Is there a way to fix the bolt once it’s broken? Broke mine today and it’s a huge bummer. It’s just hanging there.
Interesting. I did not install mud flaps but I recently discovered my bolt was hanging. I wonder if tesla touched it and didn’t bother fixing it because I took the car in for axel hub creaking noises. I have a feeling they touched it…

Wouldn’t never guess this was a common issue.

Attachments

• 2F18B336-0DF3-43C2-87F5-BD1D04BF01E6.jpeg
    2F18B336-0DF3-43C2-87F5-BD1D04BF01E6.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 156
  • BAB05365-2A2A-4794-8F6E-14F3153D6F8E.jpeg
    BAB05365-2A2A-4794-8F6E-14F3153D6F8E.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 60AA95DE-0205-44C7-B997-A67FB4F243ED.jpeg
    60AA95DE-0205-44C7-B997-A67FB4F243ED.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 154
Interesting. I did not install mud flaps but I recently discovered my bolt was hanging. I wonder if tesla touched it and didn’t bother fixing it because I took the car in for axel hub creaking noises. I have a feeling they touched it…

Wouldn’t never guess this was a common issue.
That is really interesting. Mine looks just like yours now, but I did try to unscrew it though. Not sure why Tesla made it that way.

After reading these posts, I went out and bought 2 u-bolts in preparation to install my mud flaps. To my surprise, nothing was cross threaded and I installed the mud flaps with no issues. The rear body bolts came out smoothly, and reinstalled just the same.

Maybe the issue has been fixed?