Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Ordering FAQ - LR RWD is not scheduled for production at this time.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to start a thread to discuss the following that was discovered that had been updated today on the Model Y Ordering Page. Model Y Ordering FAQ

When will Model Y production begin?
We recommend checking the Model Y design studio for your region’s most up-to-date production estimates. Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive is not scheduled for production at this time.

I think that means it's totally axed.

Some of the other posters here have mentioned that it might come out in 2021, but the statement you pasted seems pretty definitive that it will never be made (or at least not any time in the next few years), especially since SR is still mentioned on the ordering page.

• Disagree
Reactions: decrypt
I disagree that it means it will never be made. IMO, it means what it says. It's not scheduled yet.

Well it certainly won't be made before the SR is available, since the SR is specifically mentioned as an option on the ordering page. As a LR RWD reservation holder, it's really going to piss me off if Tesla calls me to say, "you'll be at the front of the queue for a model we're making in late 2021."

Regardless, no one in the public knows what Tesla is going to do because they've executed absolutely terrible messaging discipline in regards to this whole situation. When you contact Tesla, no one there has any idea of what reservation holders can expect.

Someday, the LR RWD model will be required for Tesla to make due to competitive pressure. In the near term, it will be on the back burner since the margins are likely less. I have one ordered and if I'm required to switch to an AWD, it will be a deal breaker. I have no need to drag around the extra weight and expense of an AWD driveline. My next choice will be a VW ID.4 in RWD.

Reactions: blissdancer
Someday, the LR RWD model will be required for Tesla to make due to competitive pressure. In the near term, it will be on the back burner since the margins are likely less. I have one ordered and if I'm required to switch to an AWD, it will be a deal breaker. I have no need to drag around the extra weight and expense of an AWD driveline. My next choice will be a VW ID.4 in RWD.

As a late orderer (1/30), I only had AWD as an option. I, too, have been interested in the VW Crozz. It's not clear yet if the AWD version will be required to get the 300+ mile range (which I have to have for my seasonal commutes from Maine-Maryland-Florida). From this article nothing seems really known about the ID.4 Crozz versions.

https://ww.electrek.co/2020/01/31/n...rsion-begs-questions-about-the-models-specs/#

Wanted to start a thread to discuss the following that was discovered that had been updated today on the Model Y Ordering Page. Model Y Ordering FAQ

When will Model Y production begin?
We recommend checking the Model Y design studio for your region’s most up-to-date production estimates. Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive is not scheduled for production at this time.
. It is being produced but only those that ordered in the beginning will receive the particular LR-RWD model, one thread post saw one prepared for delivery and was allowed to look inside. I received my 'prepare for delivery' notice for the LR-RWD three weeks ago. This may be a one of a kind as Tesla will probably not offer this configuration any longer.

As a late orderer (1/30), I only had AWD as an option. I, too, have been interested in the VW Crozz. It's not clear yet if the AWD version will be required to get the 300+ mile range (which I have to have for my seasonal commutes from Maine-Maryland-Florida). From this article nothing seems really known about the ID.4 Crozz versions.

News of VW ID Crozz GTX performance version raises questions about the model’s specs - Electrek
If you don't need FSD or advanced driver assist, VW may be ok. But be warned, once FSD is here, everyone not owning a Tesla will be totally bummed out. You've wasted your money. Suggest everyone check out last year's Tesla Autonomy Day..on YouTube and this year's Battery Day coming up.

Well it certainly won't be made before the SR is available, since the SR is specifically mentioned as an option on the ordering page. As a LR RWD reservation holder, it's really going to piss me off if Tesla calls me to say, "you'll be at the front of the queue for a model we're making in late 2021."

Regardless, no one in the public knows what Tesla is going to do because they've executed absolutely terrible messaging discipline in regards to this whole situation. When you contact Tesla, no one there has any idea of what reservation holders can expect.
It's already being made..but only those that have pre-ordered will receive this particular LR AWD model. It will most likely not be offered again..the margin is too small..but Tesla will honor the current orders. One post has already seen the model. You should receive a 'prepare for delivery' notice. I got mine 3 weeks ago.

It's already being made..but only those that have pre-ordered will receive this particular LR AWD model. It will most likely not be offered again..the margin is too small..but Tesla will honor the current orders. One post has already seen the model. You should receive a 'prepare for delivery' notice. I got mine 3 weeks ago.
Is this based on any information more than the 'prepare for delivery' notice? Since just about everyone (even people with 7-seat configs) got that change I do not think that means anything.

Is this based on any information more than the 'prepare for delivery' notice? Since just about everyone (even people with 7-seat configs) got that change I do not think that means anything.
My sales rep told me the prepare for delivery means nothing. That should not have been turned on for RWD. I was told the only way we will know is when we are assigned a delivery rep and they contact us personally.