Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model Y paint doesn’t match

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tacopusher

Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2022
saint petersburg
took delivery 2 days ago from tesla tampa. was basically advised that my car was ready in spot 27. off I went alone as they said just let us know if you need anything. As I did my look over nothing really stood out besides some new interior plastic etc…it was starting to rain and it was rush hour so off I went. got home today and while the sun was hitting the rear end I noticed the rear plastic is an eggshell white, not white like the metal part of the car. the front bumper area is basically the same. been trying to contact tesla tampa or corp. for that matter to no avail.

Attachments

• FC79E523-F210-4EBF-B716-FC27246F241C.jpeg
    FC79E523-F210-4EBF-B716-FC27246F241C.jpeg
    541.6 KB · Views: 1,246
  • CCF0FAD5-ADB2-4868-9D74-52A4F3971A20.jpeg
    CCF0FAD5-ADB2-4868-9D74-52A4F3971A20.jpeg
    644.9 KB · Views: 741
  • 514EA8AE-34C7-4503-B142-B377269C889B.jpeg
    514EA8AE-34C7-4503-B142-B377269C889B.jpeg
    532.7 KB · Views: 815
There are a few threads on this:

It seems like it's something you can mention and your mileage may vary as to whether they agree to repaint it for you.

Upvote 0
Yeah...Tesla is the only one........:cool:

...snip...

Are those all new cars?

I would not accept something that looked like that (the Tesla in original post). They (cars in nate's post) all look like they've been in a fender-bender and have had the bumper replaced lol. Not saying that's the case of course but jeez.

There are lots of white ones around here and I don't see this issue. I guess it depends with what you can live with. Dings and such I am ok with, but that paint looks poor. Of course Tesla is in the driver seat as they will just say ok, too bad, you can reject it and it will go to someone else.

Reactions: tacopusher
Upvote 0
Are those all new cars?

I would not accept something that looked like that (the Tesla in original post). They (cars in nate's post) all look like they've been in a fender-bender and have had the bumper replaced lol. Not saying that's the case of course but jeez.

There are lots of white ones around here and I don't see this issue. I guess it depends with what you can live with. Dings and such I am ok with, but that paint looks poor. Of course Tesla is in the driver seat as they will just say ok, too bad, you can reject it and it will go to someone else.
Those are new cars, not aftermarket painted or repaired. You can search other car forums and there are tons of complaints, especially white color, regarding mis match paint for their new cars.
You don't see those issues because those are not your car and you don't pay attention like the other owners.

Upvote 0
Those are new cars, not aftermarket painted or repaired. You can search other car forums and there are tons of complaints, especially white color, regarding mis match paint for their new cars.
You don't see those issues because those are not your car and you don't pay attention like the other owners.

That would be pretty disappointing if those were new. I don't think I would accept that.

My neighbour has a white one as well as two others on my block. They definitely do not have this issue.

Not sure what else to say; I'm not denying it is an issue, I'm only suggesting it is possible to get it right.

Sadly I feel that in this market the consumer is not in the driver seat.

Upvote 0
See if you can park next to another white MY and compare in the same lighting. If yours is significantly out of family, you might have a case. I picked up my white MY in March, and sometimes I can see a transition from the metal hood to plastic bumper but the lighting has to be just right. I have to look for it to notice though. I can see it on other Teslas too. I think it’s pretty common issue with the white paint.

Reactions: nate704
Upvote 0
really, weird since how 9/10 delivery stories in this group the last 2 weeks from everyone getting their new cars has been nothing but "quality" "best car ever" "no issues" "no panel gaps"
I drive by the local lot frequently, I will take a closer look today at what I see. From my rando drive-by's they all look pretty dang good.

I have not seen an X though on the lot for weeks.

Upvote 0
I drive by the local lot frequently, I will take a closer look today at what I see. From my rando drive-by's they all look pretty dang good.

I have not seen an X though on the lot for weeks.
Al the posts ive seen by people who are "upgrading" their Model Ys from 2020/2021 models all say the 2022s have better build quality as well.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Upvote 0