Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y passenger side dash rattle and rubbing noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had a dash rattle/rub that they've successfully resolved on their own? I've had these noises literally from day 1 when I'm driving over uneven roads between 15-30 mph. I've already brought it into Tesla service twice and each time they said they fixed it. The problem is that roads nearby the service center are pretty smooth so its not until i get home that I realize its not been fixed and I'm tired of dealing with them. Anyone share their experiences on how, if, they've been able to fix this kind of rattle/rub? Its only passenger side and I can actually recreate the sound but pushing on the dash with my hand (videos). TIA!

Ended up pulling off the dash and laying down a ton of foam. Took about 15 minutes total, easy to remove and re-install and its now completely rattle/rub free.

BBA72938-2D35-4BBF-AE1B-A16BD4707103_1_105_c.jpeg

EC0C0A7F-6078-4EDD-BC1F-CA0BD764C89C_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: pbar and Stach
I just took delivery this last Friday model Y, has the same issue when running the bump on highway or just any bumpy road .seems like going away on the second day. I am now driving a model 3 loaner car meanwhile my Y is being wrapped, the 3 has the same issue.

Mine was off and on, what i noticed was it wasn't noticeable when cold but once the temperature started warming up, the rubbing noise came back. The foam took care of it regardless of the temperature.

Mine is just the opposite as the cracking noises from the dash get worse as it gets colder. Can you post a link to the foam tape that you used, as I plan on doing this ASAP?

I’ve got a service appointment this weekend for the glove box not lining up. Removed the dash trim today to install a carbon fiber cap on it. Before I was done wife asked me to run to the store so I drove it without the wood / silver dash in. Sound gone. Re-installed it and drove around the neighborhood and it came right back. Mine only does it at low speeds too.

Got a Y from Shanghai in Australia. Build July 2022. Left-hand traffic. In warm weather on coarser road surface the rattle / squeak is very noticeable. Shame I am super annoyed by anything like that. A dream catcher / wind chime is the epitome of a nightmare for me.

Might try taking front dash off to test.

Ended up pulling off the dash and laying down a ton of foam. Took about 15 minutes total, easy to remove and re-install and its now completely rattle/rub free.

View attachment 743610
View attachment 743612
@Suspendmix what kind of foam tape is this? Anyone else know?

I'm going nuts trying to find a rattle and now I think it might be rubbing in there since it's clearly temperature related. Foaming the speaker grill didn't help at all.