Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's your source for this?
It's common sense. Traction control kicks in when it notices tires moving a different speed than the rest of the tires. your performance model expects a difference between the front and rear tires. if you remove that difference, the computer will think the rear tires are slipping.

This same thing happens if you put staggered tires on a non-staggered-OEM setup.

just google "staggered tire sizes affect traction control and driving dynamics." there are hundred of forum posts from all car brands about this.

Reactions: Msicario
@Raurele , thanks for this setup and rebates. i just installed it last week and its looking great.

did you ever install rear cambers and or install any shocks to soften the ride?
I did install a rear camber kit on my 2022 MYP (at 15K) when I notice uneven inside wear. Got it from Amazon, then paid $100 to install it and was able to get a true wheel alignment.

Attachments

• IMG_3916.jpeg
    IMG_3916.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 68
I did install a rear camber kit on my 2022 MYP (at 15K) when I notice uneven inside wear. Got it from Amazon, then paid $100 to install it and was able to get a true wheel alignment.
how long were you able to go after the install before changing tires?

i'm likely going to get the rear camber but i'm not sure if anyone has done a full set with them yet.

I’m about to hit 27K and can probably get another 1-2 but if I would have installed the camber kit when new, I might have gotten a good 30-35 🤷🏻‍♂️
Of course with good reliable alignments.
yea i got 27.5k on stock set .... trying to decide if i will get the camber....hoping these go 35k but hard to tell if camber will help. i was driving normal and slow and only made it to 27.5k

It's common sense. Traction control kicks in when it notices tires moving a different speed than the rest of the tires. your performance model expects a difference between the front and rear tires. if you remove that difference, the computer will think the rear tires are slipping.

This same thing happens if you put staggered tires on a non-staggered-OEM setup.

just google "staggered tire sizes affect traction control and driving dynamics." there are hundred of forum posts from all car brands about this.
But the model y performance can be set to Gemini or induction wheels which aren't staggered.

Reactions: Msicario
Just keep an eye on your tire wear and measure the thread depth… if you see they are wearing out evenly, you don’t need an adjustable camber kit 👍🏻
Wouldn't it make sense to just go in for an alignment first if there are differences in wear noted to see if that addresses things rather than introduce non-OEM equipment that could potentially increase the chances of a failure or issues down the road?

I took delivery of my MYP a few weeks ago and I was so tempted to take it straight to Firestone for a "Lifetime Alignment" deal just so I could see how badly aligned it came from the factory and then have lifetime alignments for the future inclouded but just didn't have the time. Going to just see what my tires do since it drives straight as-is.

-Paul

Wouldn't it make sense to just go in for an alignment first if there are differences in wear noted to see if that addresses things rather than introduce non-OEM equipment that could potentially increase the chances of a failure or issues down the road?

I took delivery of my MYP a few weeks ago and I was so tempted to take it straight to Firestone for a "Lifetime Alignment" deal just so I could see how badly aligned it came from the factory and then have lifetime alignments for the future inclouded but just didn't have the time. Going to just see what my tires do since it drives straight as-is.

-Paul
My MYP has been straight as an arrow since it left the factory
My M3 had to be realigned gratis soon after delivery

-Paul
the rear cambers are like -1.4% ish - which seems to be the case on a lot of MYP so the camber should help straigten for more even wear. trying to see what @Rauele results were.