Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - Snow Tires Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. While I'm not exactly handy, I've certainly changed tires (back when cars had spares). I don't remember it as being much fun, though. Moreover, I did the research and it looks like I'd have to buy a bunch of tools that I'd only use twice a year. So, having more more money than time, I think I'll just throw money at the problem.
If you've got one vehicle where you flip wheel sets, I would agree it probably doesn't make sense to DIY cost or convenience wise. With two vehicles (or I guess if you change more often for some reason) it has saved me time to go that route myself.

Damn, I got robbed I think?
Paid $2,500 for a set of 19” Gemini that had 400 miles on them and was never told they took out the TPMS and has rubber valves.

they look as if never driven on but I think I paid a premium and have to pay $300 for TPMS plus install and mount and balance?

advise where I can get the TPMS other than Tesla in NJ area?
Yeah you got hosed. $2500 for an incomplete set of Geminis is pretty steep.

Only place I know of to get the Bluetooth TPMS is directly through Tesla.

Damn, I got robbed I think?
Paid $2,500 for a set of 19” Gemini that had 400 miles on them and was never told they took out the TPMS and has rubber valves.

they look as if never driven on but I think I paid a premium and have to pay $300 for TPMS plus install and mount and balance?

advise where I can get the TPMS other than Tesla in NJ area?

I think that's a fair price IF the TPMS sensors are still there. Lots of TPMS sensors have rubber stems; I don't know what the Gemini wheels came with. Anyways, a set of tires runs around a grand, so $1500 for the wheels & sensors. Given supply & demand, that's probably a reasonable price.

I think that's a fair price IF the TPMS sensors are still there. Lots of TPMS sensors have rubber stems; I don't know what the Gemini wheels came with. Anyways, a set of tires runs around a grand, so $1500 for the wheels & sensors. Given supply & demand, that's probably a reasonable price.

FWIW to go through the hassle of piecing together your own nice set (and also tracking dowm TPMS from Tesla anyway), or ordering something from Tsportline, you're in at least $3K, probably more for most choices outside of TSS, so anywhere south of that for a set of Geminis and TPMS is nothing to get bummed about. All in for a set of barely used Geminis and TPMS from Tesla (thankfully that was easy where I live, not often the case), I ended up around $2600 and am content with the price and ease of it all.

Reactions: Nakk
Lol - I just ordered the same thing (I got the TST style). I've been searching all over for other options and this seems the best bang for the buck. I didn't want to buy a set of rims so I tried to find 21" winter tires. I talked to Michelin and the 285/30/r21 Alpins would be close enough in size to the stock rear tires to work but are discontinued. Other brands have winter tires in the 255/35/r21 OR the 275/35/r21 but not both.

I tried to get Tesla to give me a quote on 4 Gemini rims but they are backed up and the voicemail is full etc. Even then, I've heard getting TPMS sensors from Tesla takes some time and other places like Tire Rack don't have them so they can't sell me a complete set ready to mount. If I buy individual wheels, tires, and sensors, I get hit with shipping and still have to pay installation since I can't mount / balance them.

I thought about buying take-offs from other people but I don't want to pay $300-$400 for shipping and get an all-season tire since the reason I'm doing this is to get a cold weather tire.

Finally, when I looked at Martian, Ohm, Unplugged Performance, and others, they all sell NICE wheels. I don't want to pay for premium wheels for a set of snow tires. Normally, you put your snow tires on your crappy OEM wheels and buy a nice setup for summer but I LOVE the Uber Turbines so I'm trying to find the most cost effective winter setup and it looks like T-Sportline is it! The whole package will arrive on my doorstep ready to install for $3150!
Good call with dedicated wheels for winter. I doubt you could have done many, or any, tire swaps on a 3.5” wall tire, without damaging the tires.
I love the ubers so much i switched from the tst to the ones that look like uber’s, TSV, in 20”. Keep the factory look in winter! I scrapped the wheel package as I didn’t want the H rated michelin x ice. I’ll have to go pa5 or sottozero 3 when I get them.

oh i should add that they offered off menu tires bc i wasnt thrilled with H rated tires on a car, i think sottozero 3 was mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lozzy
So, I am awaiting delivery, and trying to decide whether to go with the performance trim (my definite preference). The wheels/tires question is the only thing holding me back. I have read this forum, called Michelin, and talked to my Tesla dealer. I told him that I had read (in this forum) about people using the smaller 19 or 20 inch wheels, and he said, absolutely not. You can't use smaller wheels on the performance model, because the larger brakes won't accommodate a smaller wheel. It appears that waiting for the Michellin Pilot Start 4s in 275/35/21 and 255/35/21 is the only option.

So, I am awaiting delivery, and trying to decide whether to go with the performance trim (my definite preference). The wheels/tires question is the only thing holding me back. I have read this forum, called Michelin, and talked to my Tesla dealer. I told him that I had read (in this forum) about people using the smaller 19 or 20 inch wheels, and he said, absolutely not. You can't use smaller wheels on the performance model, because the larger brakes won't accommodate a smaller wheel. It appears that waiting for the Michellin Pilot Start 4s in 275/35/21 and 255/35/21 is the only option.
I’m not sure who a Tesla dealer is or why Michellin would have any opinion here, but...whoever you are getting your info from is 100000% wrong.

You can put 19”, 20”, or 21” wheels on the Performance Model Y

What would you be waiting foe the pilot sport 4s for? The 21” wheels come with pirellis. As mentioned above, 19,20, 21 all fit, even some 18’s.

There are true snow tires (snow flake on tires) in every size wheel (19, 20, 21) with the only variance being their availability and cost.
Tesla now looks to have two sets of winter wheels/tires set, one at 3500 and one at 4000 (includes TPMS).
Depending on what tire size you opt for, you can likely get a complete set of after market wheels/tires (2000) + Tesla Model Y TPMS ($325; these are different than Model 3).