Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model Y Performance with downsized wheel to increase range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can anyone confirm downsizing from 21 to 19 or 20 can help increasing range on model Y performance?
there's no difference in range due to wheel size.
there can be a difference due to tire traction (or lack of)

Mostly wheel size is about minor gaining back some comfort
smaller wheel, larger diameter tire, more sidewall, more give.

Maybe I’m crazy, but I thought heavier (larger diameter) wheels harmed range. Like, this was EV gospel.
weight is always an issue.
Tesla wheels aren't light, and many aftermarket wheels are also not light; a few are lighter but cost more.
when looking at aftermarket wheels, always consider weight and load rating. EVs weigh a LOT.

tires can present more or less rolling resistance.
less RR means better range but usually comes with less traction (harder rubber compounds)
more RR means less range but usually delivers better traction for quicker acceleration and better handling.
again, consider load rating, because again, EVs weigh a LOT.
and, size increases (diameter, treadwidth) add weight. if selecting a lightweight wheel, tire size weight usually cancels out.

all the factors above come into play.
choose your weapons carefully.
YMMV

by downsizing i also mean lighter wheels. the 21" uberturbine is almost 40lb each, if i can shave 5lb at each corner, will that improve the range?
Yes. Reducing the weight of the wheels and tires reduces the unsprung weight. Narrower tires have a smaller frontal area which also slightly reduces air resistance. Switching from the OE 21" wheels and tires to 19" wheels and tires will improve efficiency by ~10% starting at ~55 MPH. Wheel size/weight efficiency is also tied to your speed so at speeds over 75 MPH the difference in efficiency is even greater.

The weight difference between the 19" Gemini and 20" Induction wheels and tires is less than 2 lbs. The Gemini wheels provide improved efficiency of ~5% due to the Gemini wheel covers. The Gemini wheel covers reduce air turbulence around and inside the Gemini wheel. This provides improved efficiency at highway speeds.

Range loss with the different wheel options

Last edited:
side question. does 19" Gemini wheel fit Model Y Performance?
Yes. All of the available MY wheels fit the MYP. At one point (way back at the start of MY production), there was even a 'stealth' variant MYP with the 19" Gemini. Same with aftermarket wheels from TSportline - all of their 19" (and even 18" now) work on MYP. We have the TSportline 18" TSS on our MYP - they fit with no issue at all.

side question. does 19" Gemini wheel fit Model Y Performance?
Yes but Tesla will not sell you the Gemini winter wheel package if you have a Performance Model Y (Tesla states the 19" Gemini wheel is not compatible with the Performance Model Y. This may due to the speed rating of the winter tires that is the issue.) The 19" Gemini wheel does fit the Performance Model Y. It is an easy swap that will provide a net ~10% improvement in range and efficiency when used with the Gemini wheel covers.

Yes. All of the available MY wheels fit the MYP. At one point (way back at the start of MY production), there was even a 'stealth' variant MYP with the 19" Gemini. Same with aftermarket wheels from TSportline - all of their 19" (and even 18" now) work on MYP. We have the TSportline 18" TSS on our MYP - they fit with no issue at all.

you're running 18" on your MYP? have you noticed increase in range?

you're running 18" on your MYP? have you noticed increase in range?
Hard to give an exact answer, as we traded from a 2020 MYLR w/20" Inductions, and swapped out the MYP's 21" Uberturbine wheels with only 2 miles on the car (the distance from the SC to the shop). But... closing in on 8K miles, with average 294 Wh/mile, including a fair mix of highway and local driving, as well as loading it with 3-4 people fairly often. Very comfortable too, compared to the Inductions.

Reactions: David99
When posting wheel changes and efficiency, it's very important that you post the tire model and size. There are a lot of variables that are being ignored.
Good point. FYI on our MYP's 18" TSportlines, we have the default ones that come with the wheels: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (245/50-18). This has yielded average 294 wh/mi over about 8,000 miles.