Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Power steering issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a brand new 2021 Long Range Model Y (rental as my model s is in the shop). The power steering on it has stopped working 2 times now. Once when it was parked and I was able to notice it right away, dropped it off at Tesla and they “updated” something and “fixed it”. Not sure exactly what they updated as I didn't get any paperwork for it as it's not my car.

Tonight (1 day after getting the car back) I was taking a right turn and the power steering stopped working suddenly and this time as I wasn't expecting it I hit the island in the middle of the road and damaged the wheel, and alignment is all off due to the impact.

Have any of you with a Y experienced such a thing?

• Informative
Reactions: ladysbff
@phil4822 the issue is currently being looked at by tesla engineering. Unfortunately for me because it was a rental car, I had to pay the repair bill of almost $4000 until they come to a decision on if it was indeed an issue. What is crazy is they released the car without knowing the issue (when it was 100% acknowledged by service visually) and it happened again. I will update once tesla gets back.

• Informative
Unreal. They should not have released the car knowing this was an issue, and having you pay up-front is low integrity on their part. I would suggest getting a lawyer involved and submit a claim to the NHTSA. I see 2 cases in this thread. This is a very serious safety concern. Other brands have had sudden power steering loss over the years, and the outcomes can be deadly. The NHTSA usually gets on top of this type of issue immediately.

• Helpful
@phil4822 the issue is currently being looked at by tesla engineering. Unfortunately for me because it was a rental car, I had to pay the repair bill of almost $4000 until they come to a decision on if it was indeed an issue. What is crazy is they released the car without knowing the issue (when it was 100% acknowledged by service visually) and it happened again. I will update once tesla gets back.
That is crazy if true. Please update us with what happens next.

Did you get your Model S back? Why was the Model S in for service?

Wow. Unbelievable. They looked at my car today and claimed to have fixed it. Here’s what they said:
“Downloaded vehicle logs and confirmed alerts during customer's timestamp. Found alert for both primary and secondary circuits of steering gear. Found ground bolt for steering rack not fully torqued. Cleaned and properly torqued steering gear ground bolt, Test drove vehicle and verified steering is operating as expected.”

I just took it for a drive, and power steering went out after a 5-min drive. It seems to happen in the snow, but I can’t say for sure. Also, I came home, parked in the garage, plugged it in for literally 10 seconds, unplugged, put it in gear, and steering was back to normal.

I’m very concerned this will happen unexpectedly on the highway with disastrous results. Please keep me updated if you hear from service again.

Wow. Unbelievable. They looked at my car today and claimed to have fixed it. Here’s what they said:
“Downloaded vehicle logs and confirmed alerts during customer's timestamp. Found alert for both primary and secondary circuits of steering gear. Found ground bolt for steering rack not fully torqued. Cleaned and properly torqued steering gear ground bolt, Test drove vehicle and verified steering is operating as expected.”

I just took it for a drive, and power steering went out after a 5-min drive. It seems to happen in the snow, but I can’t say for sure. Also, I came home, parked in the garage, plugged it in for literally 10 seconds, unplugged, put it in gear, and steering was back to normal.

I’m very concerned this will happen unexpectedly on the highway with disastrous results. Please keep me updated if you hear from service again.

I think you should return this rental and get another one. This makes no sense for them to keep giving you the same vehicle. I won’t take it if I were you, twice is enough stress.

How soon did they get you into the service center after making the initial appointment? Did you tell them power steering went out again after you took the car home?
They got me in that day. They’ve been very responsive and quick. I let them know the power steering went out again late last night. Heard back this morning. They said they’re checking with their technicians to figure out next steps. Will keep you guys updated.

They got me in that day. They’ve been very responsive and quick. I let them know the power steering went out again late last night. Heard back this morning. They said they’re checking with their technicians to figure out next steps. Will keep you guys updated.
Oh, that's really good to hear they are being responsive and timely, the least they could do considering the safety implications. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Updating this. Tesla was unable to duplicate the problem. Their notes:
“left the car outside and and rinsed down the front wire harness to freeze over night test drove and found car no problems in the morning. Inspected all wire connections to the power steering rack. Found no problems or loose connections. removed and scuffed the primary grounds to guarantee no problem with any of the grounds. Inspected connections at the front vehicle controller and found no problems.”

I spoke specifically with the master technician who worked on my car. He said he reset the ground system and is confident it won’t happen again. I’ve had the car back for nearly two weeks, and I haven’t had a single problem since.

Seemed it was triggered in the snow, so I’ll monitor as we get more snow this season and update if anything else happens.
The service team was the nicest and most accommodating I’ve ever dealt with at a dealership.

Our 2023 Model Y 4680 appears to be experiencing the same issue. Yesterday, when my wife was picking up food, she complained that the steering wheel was not working properly. When the wheel was centered and moved about 20 degrees in either direction, there was a feel similar to the meshing of gear teeth. I advised her to drive the car home slowly. Upon arriving home, I checked the steering wheel again while the car was parked, and found it difficult to turn, but I didn't think too much of it at the time.

A few minutes later, my wife was taking our son to his classes and pulled out of the driveway before re-parking. She mentioned that the steering wheel was very difficult to turn and that the front wheels were not turning in the direction she wanted to go. Now, we will have to tow the car. It seems like there is a complete power steering failure, as the steering wheel is very difficult to turn. This is a bummer since the car is only 6 months old and has around 8000 miles.